Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2019, 04:49:33 pm
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

Atlas Forum
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Beet)
  What Book Are You Currently Reading?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 69 Print
Author Topic: What Book Are You Currently Reading?  (Read 334780 times)
Scott
YaBB God
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: December 12, 2013, 03:23:19 pm »

Img

More of a page-turner than I thought it would be.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #926 on: December 12, 2013, 04:40:51 pm »

I'm reading a book, I will give you the opening paragraph and see if you can guess it.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way - in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.
Beet
YaBB God

« Reply #927 on: December 12, 2013, 04:54:59 pm »

I'm reading a book, I will give you the opening paragraph and see if you can guess it.

It was the best of times,

You could have left it at that bud.
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #928 on: December 12, 2013, 05:08:21 pm »

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way - in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

Tale of Moderate Heroism?
Keyboard Jacobinism
Kalwejt
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #929 on: December 12, 2013, 05:48:15 pm »

Finishing Les Bienveillantes.
NYGurl
texasgurl24
Moderators
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.91

« Reply #930 on: December 13, 2013, 12:13:35 pm »

Midnight at the well of souls --- Jack L Chalker
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #931 on: December 13, 2013, 11:18:20 pm »

Tale of Moderate Heroism?

On an old episode of Cheers, Cliff Claven said after hearing this passage: "Boy, this Dickens guy really likes to keep his butt covered, doesn't he?"

Anyway, Ernest, if you're looking for some decent intro to Daoism, here are a couple of things that you might find useful:

--The chapters on "Lao Tzu" and "Chuang Tzu" from A.C. Graham's book Disputers of the Tao.
--Hans Georg Meoller's book The Philosophy of the Daodejing.

There are way over one hundred translations of the Dao De Jing in English.  For relative fidelity to the Chinese as well as lucidity of translation, though I'd still have some quibbles, I'd recommend the one by P.J. Ivanhoe.  But, whichever one you pick, just don't read Steven Mitchell's; he so completely distorts the meaning of the text that it makes me doubt his claims to understand classical Chinese at all.
Beet
YaBB God

« Reply #932 on: December 14, 2013, 01:09:50 am »

I haven't been doing too much heavy reading lately, but I just finished The Four Agreements by don Miguel Ruiz, and it's surprisingly good and one of the easiest reads possible.
LaRouche Lives Forever!
ChairmanSanchez
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

P

« Reply #933 on: December 15, 2013, 09:15:04 pm »

Learned all I need to learn from the Power Broker, moving on to the Years of Lyndon Johnson. I also checked out "Walden And Other Writings" by Henry David Thoreau.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #934 on: December 15, 2013, 09:35:19 pm »

Img
Hugo Award nominee
Nathan
YaBB God

« Reply #935 on: December 15, 2013, 09:41:45 pm »

I've started Le Morte d'Arthur.

It's...certainly something.
afleitch
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -8.17

« Reply #936 on: December 16, 2013, 07:08:04 am »

I'm reading Tintin. Because it's Christmas.
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #937 on: December 16, 2013, 12:18:03 pm »

I'm reading Tintin. Because it's Christmas.

Nothing so wonderfully captures the Christmas spirit as Tintin in the Congo.  What better exemplifies the spirit of giving that marks the season than white men giving civilization to child-like Africans?
tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #938 on: December 19, 2013, 05:23:43 pm »

Resa Aslan - Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth

I was able to get it for $13 so I took the plunge.  it's relatively well done, and written for a mass rather than an academic audience, unlike most of the reading on religion/theology I've done over the past few years, which is refreshing, in its own way.  he focuses on the 'historical Jesus' and takes great pains to place him within the context of the socio-political situation of first-century Palestine, especially vis-a-vis the relationship between the Jewish cult and the Roman occupation.

I did skip ahead and read the chapter on Paul, towards whom Aslan can barely conceal his enmity, fwiw.
Hugo Award nominee
Nathan
YaBB God

« Reply #939 on: December 19, 2013, 05:29:26 pm »

Le Morte d'Arthur is actually getting really good.
Beet
YaBB God

« Reply #940 on: December 19, 2013, 07:59:32 pm »

intercourse by Andrea Dworkin (in honor of nathan... jk Wink)
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #941 on: December 19, 2013, 08:27:28 pm »

I was able to get it for $13 so I took the plunge.  it's relatively well done, and written for a mass rather than an academic audience, unlike most of the reading on religion/theology I've done over the past few years, which is refreshing, in its own way.  he focuses on the 'historical Jesus' and takes great pains to place him within the context of the socio-political situation of first-century Palestine, especially vis-a-vis the relationship between the Jewish cult and the Roman occupation.

I did skip ahead and read the chapter on Paul, towards whom Aslan can barely conceal his enmity, fwiw.

My own views on Paul have softened somewhat over the past few years.  Much of the more problematic material in the Pauline epistles appears to have not been written by him and I'm convinced that at worst Paul was deluded rather than an intentional fraud.
Scott
YaBB God
United States
« Reply #942 on: December 20, 2013, 01:23:46 pm »

I was able to get it for $13 so I took the plunge.  it's relatively well done, and written for a mass rather than an academic audience, unlike most of the reading on religion/theology I've done over the past few years, which is refreshing, in its own way.  he focuses on the 'historical Jesus' and takes great pains to place him within the context of the socio-political situation of first-century Palestine, especially vis-a-vis the relationship between the Jewish cult and the Roman occupation.

I've heard that this book makes so many historical errors that it's barely worth picking up and it repeats 19th century German scholarship that's mostly rejected today.  As a layperson who's interested in getting the hard facts about Jesus, I tend to avoid the highly disputed stuff.
Oakvale
oakvale
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #943 on: December 20, 2013, 01:31:09 pm »

Good Lord, really?
tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #944 on: December 20, 2013, 01:46:16 pm »

I was able to get it for $13 so I took the plunge.  it's relatively well done, and written for a mass rather than an academic audience, unlike most of the reading on religion/theology I've done over the past few years, which is refreshing, in its own way.  he focuses on the 'historical Jesus' and takes great pains to place him within the context of the socio-political situation of first-century Palestine, especially vis-a-vis the relationship between the Jewish cult and the Roman occupation.

I've heard that this book makes so many historical errors that it's barely worth picking up and it repeats 19th century German scholarship that's mostly rejected today.  As a layperson who's interested in getting the hard facts about Jesus, I tend to avoid the highly disputed stuff.

can you point me towards where you've heard?
Scott
YaBB God
United States
« Reply #945 on: December 20, 2013, 02:11:28 pm »

can you point me towards where you've heard?

Here's one source that I came across a month or two ago.  In summary, Aslan's book is accused of having a mix of contradictions, omissions, and category errors.  I don't have any fancy degrees to confirm or debunk these claims, but it's apparent that this book isn't seen very fondly by scholars.
tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #946 on: December 20, 2013, 06:06:24 pm »

thanks. cool blog
Beet
YaBB God

« Reply #947 on: December 21, 2013, 12:58:14 am »
« Edited: December 21, 2013, 12:59:56 am by Beet »

Good Lord, really?

Have you read it? I don't think I can get through it. It's tough to read literature reviews of other books that I have not read. Why do authors do that? Dworkin sees sex (as practiced) as misogynistic. Misogynistic men also see sex as misogynistic. That suggests maybe she's going too far, sure. But she brings ideas that are more complicated than the caricature and are worth examining at least once in your life if you are ever in the mood.

I'm also reading the bluest eye by Toni Morrison- well I finished it.
TheDeadFlagBlues
YaBB God
Mexico

« Reply #948 on: December 21, 2013, 05:45:43 pm »

Img
LaRouche Lives Forever!
ChairmanSanchez
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

P

« Reply #949 on: December 23, 2013, 02:17:51 am »

Checked out the Canterbury Tales from the library today. I'm kind of getting into poetry.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 69 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Logout

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies