What Book Are You Currently Reading? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:23:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Torie)
  What Book Are You Currently Reading? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What Book Are You Currently Reading?  (Read 399240 times)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: July 28, 2016, 09:36:34 AM »

No, it doesn't have a separate section or chapter on WV.  Oh man, the slurs, I've learned from this book.  Much of the historical attitudes/history I was aware, at least in passing, before reading the book,  but having them rolled out, one after the other, makes one realize what a constant it's been in US (and English) history.  It does roll all the way up to the present and segways into more of a cultural history,  though it could have been a little more fleshed out (without giving WV racist hicks their own chapter).  All the big outlets have written reviews on the book, so they'd probably give you a better feel than I on whether you'd want to read the book.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 12:54:37 PM »

I would like to read some Vargas Llosa sometime, any opinion on the best one to pick up?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 12:07:24 AM »
« Edited: October 05, 2016, 12:23:21 AM by The Unbearable Invicibility of Hillary Clinton »

So, after a long stretch of work that didn't allow any reading for pleasure, I got to pick up something off of my neverending stack of unread books. 

Set in the German city of Breslau before either World War, it gave a great feel for the time and place and I think I may have gotten gout from the food descriptions.  The characters are all flawed and the mystery is solid.  It was translated from the original Polish.  If your wondering why a Polish writer is writing a German mystery, well, Google Breslau like I did, because I didn't know where Breslau was.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies