What Book Are You Currently Reading? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:28:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Torie)
  What Book Are You Currently Reading? (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What Book Are You Currently Reading?  (Read 401399 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« on: June 04, 2011, 06:32:41 PM »

I plan on reading more books from this series. They're extremely informative even if wonky and boring.

Also:
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 03:42:29 PM »

TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 06:46:42 PM »

The Double by Dostoevsky

One Who Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Kessey

TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 02:07:56 PM »

TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 11:04:28 PM »

chill w/ the bourgeois sh**t.  you're a good kid.  read some real sh**t.

What would you suggest? Also, what's wrong with Krugman? He's the most the prominent anti-third way pundit out there at the moment and he also happens to be a brilliant economist.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 10:34:44 AM »
« Edited: May 11, 2012, 10:43:13 AM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

To be honest, though, there's really no excuse for reading Fuckuyama.

I forgot my kindle before a long flight so I picked it up on a whim to see what was so horrible about him. Surprisingly it wasn't that bad. At least a few of his assertions are somewhat interesting even if they're mostly based on pseudo-history and weak arguments.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 05:40:46 PM »

The Odyssey for college. I had all summer to read it and with six days left I've read about 60 pages.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 04:22:19 AM »
« Edited: August 18, 2012, 04:26:29 AM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

The Odyssey for college. I had all summer to read it and with six days left I've read about 60 pages.

Wait, what?  You have summer reading in college?

I'm about to attend one of the most difficult colleges in the country where it is mandatory to write a thorough and original thesis for you undergrad. I can't believe I used to be proud of myself for receiving an acceptance letter from this den of academic sadism...

@Tweed it's for a class (which is basically Reed's signature as an institution) that all freshman are required to take so I can't get out of it. I'd much rather be reading Crime and Punishment or the latest Yanis Varoufakis book.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 10:23:20 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2012, 10:25:27 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

I'm about to attend one of the most difficult colleges in the country where it is mandatory to write a thorough and original thesis for you undergrad.

Are undergrad dissertations that rare in the U.S?

I think Princeton and Bates are the only other two schools that require an undergrad dissertation for graduation but I could be missing a few.

Based off what I've heard, the undergraduate education at most public universities and a large percentage of liberal arts schools is a joke for the average student. The caveat is that I've heard this from people who would be characterized as elitists.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 10:42:30 PM »

Give me reccomendations, I have a week long break and want to indulge my brain with leisurely reads. History (specifically latin american) , philosophy, econ or literature is welcomed
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 11:14:23 PM »

well you can take a look at the post above you for some Chavez stuff.

I want to read up on Mexico though. Have you read any good books on my motherland?
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 06:06:22 PM »

The Course of Mexican History

A very light read that hasn't taught me much, this is the time for you wise college graduates to pass your knowledge onto me via reccomendations.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 02:46:37 PM »

Infinite Jest
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 02:57:44 PM »

Little did I know what I was about to experience. What a naive little twat I was.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 11:54:47 AM »

*terrorist fist-bump*

I'm about 200 pages deep and only have two weeks to finish it before the next semester begins. Challenge accepted.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 02:19:03 PM »

I finished South Africa's Brave New World over break, started on Nudge (pop behavioral economics) and You Just Don't Understand (pop linguistics/psychology). I'm on page 750 of Infinite Jest.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 01:35:54 AM »

Hobsbawm's Industry and Empire
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 01:28:51 PM »
« Edited: February 02, 2013, 11:56:01 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

The Republic
Poor Economics
The Pedagogy of the Oppressed
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2013, 12:11:17 PM »

Nations and Nationalist Since 1780: Programme, Myth, Reality by Hobsbawm
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 05:57:46 AM »

TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 06:40:58 PM »

Well the part after I posted this was pretty wtf... as in, "wait, this is the end? So what ended up happening?"

The first chapter of the book is the ending. Of course, this is difficult to remember after slogging through the whole thing.

Also, Robinson Crusoe for summer reading for a class dedicated to "modern man/the modern world". I am a liberal arts stereotype.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2013, 05:23:23 PM »
« Edited: November 14, 2013, 05:26:57 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

If the views in this book form the basis for the PPE program at Oxford, I need to transfer ASAP. The approaches revealed in this work are so similar to how I approach the social sciences and I feel as if I found the reason why I feel vaguely dissatisfied with my econ/poli sci courses: they lack a foundation in philosophy, ethics and the humanities. Strange to think when I entered undergrad that I only craved classes focused on empirics and now I tend to shy away from it.

The discussion of the cross-influences of the sentimentalist philosophers and non-conformist protestant theologians was really great but Friedman's view of growth is a little too centrist/neo-liberal/Davos/World Bank for my tastes. That being said, he is correct in stating that economic growth engenders tolerance and strong democratic institutions but I don't think he cares about whether this growth is equally diffused which is a view I can't tolerate.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2013, 05:32:51 PM »
« Edited: November 14, 2013, 05:34:48 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

PPE is basically an apprenticeship degree for aspiring political hacks.

In the states, Economics is basically an apprenticeship degree for aspiring hedge fund managers so I'd much prefer the former. Even at my crunchy, "learning for learning's sake" college a good half of Econ majors are in the program because they're good at math and want a six-figure salary.

Maybe British political hacks are more tolerable because PPE has good required courses? I might study abroad at Oxford next year so I'll be sure to check them out.

edit: the one thing that makes me want to consistently change my major is the fact that mathematical prowess is exalted above perceptive social scientific insights in econ departments. it's hard for me to even consider it a social science at times.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2013, 09:03:17 PM »

about to invest weeks of my life into these books:

please pray for me as my brain flexes hard and gets swoll.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2013, 09:23:41 PM »

If it's any consolation Thompson, at least, is a good read. Weird book: in some respects not just ahead of its time, but ahead of what is written now; but he also repeats some arguments and theories that were pretty much discredited by the 1960s, even going out of his way to defend one of them. But then that's Thompson for you.

One of my professors mentioned that social history/marxist approaches has gone the way of the dodo in favor of more cultural/anthropological approaches since the 80s, is this true? If so, my tiny interest in having History as a fallback major is out of the question.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies