Axis and Allies Game II - Round 7 UK - FINISHED: AXIS WIN
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:16:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Axis and Allies Game II - Round 7 UK - FINISHED: AXIS WIN
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16
Author Topic: Axis and Allies Game II - Round 7 UK - FINISHED: AXIS WIN  (Read 52539 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2010, 12:50:42 PM »

Yeah, my apologies for that.

I'm tired and stresses, and the combat moves were pretty uneventful, so I'll just do the world map for now.

Germany took Archangel and West Russia, losing 1 infantry in the process, while killing the two Russian infantry in those territories. They also made an amphibious assault on Algeria to retake it.

Non-combat moves now, hopefully they will be less slow from both Bacon King and me. Wink
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2010, 10:22:05 AM »

Plenty of non-combat moves from Germany. Basically, more troops were moved to Norway, France and Egypt. Troops were mobilized in Egypt and Germany.

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2010, 05:33:52 AM »
« Edited: September 18, 2010, 05:36:16 AM by Gustaf »

In Asia more troops were mustered in India and Trans-Jordan was abandoned in face of the strong German force in Egypt. Except for the fact that it was the other way around and Trans-Jordan was re-occupied in a daring show of defiance in face of the strong German force in Egypt.

In the North the Royal Navy did yet another amphibious assault. This time there were no speeches about returning peoples' freedoms, since the target was Leningrad.

The RAF, eager to polish up their tarnished reputation as cowardly transport-sinkers, attacked the German fleet in the Mediterranean, wiping it out without losses. While the bombers returned to the UK the fighters landed in Gibraltar.

The retaking of Africa was well under way. Inspired by the American example the British forces, too, captured undefended African land, while more troops were mobilized in South Africa.

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2010, 02:27:33 AM »

Sorry, just noticed it was my turn.  Orders tomorrow.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.35

« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2010, 05:55:30 PM »

I have a couple of questions that have bothered me ever since I first played the game.

First, is each turn a year or a month?  If it is a year, that would put us in 1945 and thus way behind schedule.

Second, what does each unit represent.  I figure battleships and aircraft carriers are single ships, and fighters and bombers are squadrons (12 to 24 each?).  What about infantry and tanks?  Are they divisions (10,000) or corps (50,000?)?  Just curious as to how much carnage we have created.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2010, 03:42:18 AM »

I have a couple of questions that have bothered me ever since I first played the game.

First, is each turn a year or a month?  If it is a year, that would put us in 1945 and thus way behind schedule.

Second, what does each unit represent.  I figure battleships and aircraft carriers are single ships, and fighters and bombers are squadrons (12 to 24 each?).  What about infantry and tanks?  Are they divisions (10,000) or corps (50,000?)?  Just curious as to how much carnage we have created.

I've been thinking about it and been a bit vague. I do believe a turn is a year but then you always end up behind schedule, as you put it.

The infantry I view as army corps. Divisions would make the forces way too small (they still might be with army corpses). Ships and planes are hard to wrap your head around. How many planes did, say, the RAF have in 1942? Thousands?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2010, 03:46:47 AM »

In a fell swoop Japanese infantry, with both naval and air support landed on the thinly defended Australia. The Australian defenders were foolishly standing on the beach, waving to what they presumed was the all-superior British navy, when they met their swift end.

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2010, 03:46:41 PM »

I've always considered each turn to be a season, or a quarter of a year. This has probably stuck with me after reading about one of the more complicated variants that included Winter weather issues during each "Winter" turn, but the time scale still seems about accurate.
Túrin Turambar
Rookie
Sweden

« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2010, 04:19:59 PM »

I agree. That seems to fit better with how much the respective armies can do during one turn. It seems a bit too little for a year, I think.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2010, 10:01:26 AM »

The Japanese retreated gathering their land forces around Shanghai and evacuating Indochina. Meanwhile, the Japanese navy gathered around the home base, while parts of the air force camped out on the Solomon Islands.

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2010, 04:06:35 PM »

The Americans, in a stroke of originality, decided to land on Algeria with forces coming both from the East Coast and from Africa. The Pacific navy landed troops in Alaska (we already own this? But WHY?) The European air command was moved to Yakut to beef up the Soviet Eastern defence.

Now it's Soviet's turn.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2010, 09:08:54 AM »

Stalin was ready. It was time to throw caution to the wind. He ordered the Russian "advisors" to to the Chinese to stop murdering dissidents and make a move on the Chinese inland, already left by the Japanese occupation forces.

On the Eastern front the hole opened up by the British landing was to be exploited without mercy. In West Russia the battle was bloody and bitter but although half the Russian infantry was eventually wiped out, victory could be assured. By contrast, the assault on Archangel was quick and ruthless and the German defenders, now isolated, quickly laid down their wepons without a fight.

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2010, 04:12:25 PM »

The Russian tanks in Sinkiang suddenly abandoned their allies without warning and headed off to the East front. The real East front that is, in Yakut. New infantry was mobilized in Caucasus, while tanks were deployed in Russia. Stalin was ready.

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2010, 05:37:37 PM »

Sent in my orders. YAY GERMANY
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2010, 05:20:59 AM »

The Germans were under heavy pressure, but decided that attack was the best defence. The armoured divisions quietly amassed in Egypt launched a surprise attack on the American forces in Algeria. Or at least it was supposed to be a surprise attack. The American forces turned out to be well dug in and in the bloody battle which ensued both sides were reduced to virtually nothing, leaving Algeria in American hands.

The remaining forces in Egypt, supported by air force from Italy, attacked Trans-Jordan which was immediately surrendered by the British forces there.

Further North, the newly mobilized German tanks launched a counter-attack on the British in Leningrad, with air support coming in from Norway. The attack was a success, although the British destroyed a quarter of the German tank force in the process.

The big battle, however, was the one in Caucasus. Although some German planes were lost to anti-aircraft fire, the battle which followed saw the Germans sweep away the Russian defenders with minimal casualties.

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2010, 08:39:42 AM »

I just want to say thanks again for GMing this, Gustaf. It's even more fun than I anticipated, and that's saying a lot.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2010, 09:47:10 AM »

Thanks for the kind words! It's a lot of fun following it from my end too, it's been an interesting game so far.

Norway infantry swaps places with fighter in Karelia, the fighters in Caucasus disperse to Egypt, Ukraine and Belorussia, tank in Western Europe moves to the Balkans and is replaced by the artillery in Germany.

Two new tanks are deployed in Germany, a new fighter pops up in Southern Europe and five tanks plus an infantry are mobilized in Germany.

Now it is Britain's turn!

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2010, 05:56:19 PM »

The British launched yet another tiresome invasion of Norway. Since all the Norwegians who had welcomed them the last time had been slaughtered by the Germans in the deliberation there were no speeches this time. The German air force was blown away by British battleships and the British tanks then rolled ashore completely unopposed.

In Africa British forces moved further North threatening Egypt, while the air forces in Gibraltar moved into Algeria. In India, the massive British build-up finally resulted in an outpouring of troops sweeping aside the German forces in Trans-Jordan and liberating the plantation owners in Indochina from their yellow oppressors.

It was looking like the Allies, after a long and hard struggle, might be triumphant. What could Japan do to change this outcome?

Japan, you have 36 PUs!
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2010, 11:13:37 PM »

Spectator bump.  Nippon move it or lose it Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2010, 06:36:57 AM »

The conquerors of Australia now moved on to New Zealand. The New Zealand defenders had been forewarned by the assault on Australia and were well dug-in, avoiding any damage from the Battleship bombardment. In the battle that ensued, half of the Japanese landing force was lost to the defenders machine gun fire.

In China the Japanese finally moved in with a counter-attack, including air support. The Soviet troops, demoralized by being forced to protect a strange people they did not trust while their own country was fighting for its survival, gave up without a fight.

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: October 10, 2010, 06:17:22 PM »

Bump? Are we waiting on Japan to do noncombat moves or on Gustaf to post them? Tongue
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »

Bump? Are we waiting on Japan to do noncombat moves or on Gustaf to post them? Tongue

For a long, long time the former but more recently on the latter. Will do when I have more time, promise!
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: October 12, 2010, 04:20:12 AM »

Finally!
Sorry for the delay guys. Japan rearranged its troops in mostly uninteresting ways as displayed by the map and as one could have guessed.

Now it's America's turn! You have 43 PUs.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2010, 04:26:59 PM »

C'mon, DON'T LET THIS DIE!!
Túrin Turambar
Rookie
Sweden

« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2010, 03:50:40 AM »

It's definitely not dying during my turn. I have sent my orders to Gustaf a while ago, but he had to ask me an additional question about them, so he hasn't had the chance of resolve them yet.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies