2008 Election TL (Gameplay Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:50:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008 Election TL (Gameplay Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12
Author Topic: 2008 Election TL (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 28551 times)
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: September 12, 2010, 06:41:47 PM »

Tancredo responds to Romney's criticism in Los Angeles, California:

"I, too stand by my criticism of Mitt Romney, because it is correct. And he was right when he criticized me as well. I agree that we do need an honest leader - one who is honest with both he and the people he works for.

I am retiring because I don't want to be a member of the House anymore. Pure and simple. I made this decision when I ran for reelection in 2006. It wasn't until much later that I decided to run for President.

Mitt's criticism is correct, and I apologize for not following up on my promises to the people of Colorado. But I want Mitt to apologize for his faults (hypocrisy, mainly) as well. Thank you.
"
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #101 on: September 12, 2010, 06:49:03 PM »

Mitt Romney holds a massive evening rally in Iowa City, Iowa...

This is it! Tomorrow, Iowans will head to the polls and help decide who the 2008 Republican Presidential nominee is! We have three qualified candidates in this race, and I wish both of my opponents the best of luck. Tomorrow's a big day, and I ask for all of your support. Together, we can bring America back to the days of Ronald Reagan!
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #102 on: September 12, 2010, 07:00:43 PM »

Tom Tancredo flies to Cedar Rapids and holds a massive rally:

"Tomorrow is the day that Iowa goes to the ballot box! I wish Governor Romney and Governor Huckabee the best of luck, and I know that I'm going to need some luck, too! All of those who want reform, who want to bring America back to the golden years of Ronald Reagan, vote for Tom Tancredo! Thank you and goodnight!"
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2010, 08:59:38 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2010, 09:17:46 PM by Mideast Assemblyman True Conservative »

Mike Huckabee, too, releases a new attack ad on Romney in Iowa....

"Mitt Romney, the businessman and the economic conservative in the race....

Raised fees in order to say that he didn't raise taxes.

Enacted Romneycare and forced people to buy health insurance.

Mitt Romney, the man with the economic know-how with a great deal of business experience....

Has only 4 years of experience in any public office.

Left Massachusetts with a 65% disapproval rating."
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2010, 09:02:31 PM »

Tom Daschle drops out of the race and endorses former Ghostbuster Bill Murray.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2010, 09:11:56 PM »

Mike Huckabee appears in Iowa City in a massive event, and says:

"Tomorrow, Iowans, is the day that you get to cast the first votes in this year's primary cycle. Though I'm a harsh critic of Mitt Romney, I'll remain civil in it, and I wish him, and Congressman Tom Tancredo, the best of luck in tomorrow's vote. Whatever the case, tomorrow is going to be a big day, which is why I'm asking for your support now. If you want a popular former Governor, who has the experience to win, if you want a true pro-family candidate, who's unwavering in his support for traditional marriage, the unborn, and the second amendment, I'm asking for your vote tomorrow. Together, we can bring back the days of Reagan. Now, a final note. I'm not saying that Reagan would endorse me. I would have loved it a great deal if he did, but he is, alas, dead, and I can't speak for him. Whatever the case, however, I endorse him. I hope you'll keep that in mind when going to vote tomorrow. So, thanks to you all, and God Bless America!"

*Audience applause*
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #106 on: September 13, 2010, 06:49:13 AM »

Mitt Romney makes small meet and greets on caucus day, with his main goal to mingle with as many people as possible. Terry Branstead and local politicians are visiting local precincts on behalf of Romney...

The fact is, right now, a qualification for being President shouldn't be that your popular. It should be that you're ready to make tough decisions, even though it may hurt your popularity. Friends, I would rather lose an election than lose a war. I am committed to this country's national defense, and will make decisions based on what I think bests for America's future, not my personal popularity.
- Mitt Romney at a family-run diner in central Iowa
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #107 on: September 13, 2010, 09:43:03 AM »

Mitt Romney continues to travel Iowa, visiting a local nursing home and speaking encouraging words to them about medicare and social security.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #108 on: September 13, 2010, 10:23:53 AM »

Mike Huckabee continues to campaign in Iowa on caucus day, appearing in Des Moines with Senator Chuck Grassley.

Mike Huckabee says: "There's one point where I agree with Mitt Romney, and it's his recent comments on popularity. Doing the right thing is more important than being popular, and several times myself I've done something that contributed to a drop in my approval ratings. I, too, am committed to this nation's national defense, and I consider it more important than popularity.

Nevertheless, it is something to consider when selecting a nominee. Perhaps not the most important thing (as Romney said, some things may be more important), but still, something to consider. I've long said that when your resume only gives you 4 years of experience in public office, and, what's worse, 65% of people felt even that was bad, it's not a record to build on. And, such things don't produce a strong nominee.
"
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #109 on: September 13, 2010, 11:21:06 AM »

Mike Huckabee makes more appearances in the Hawkeye State, visiting Burlington, Ames and Cedar Rapids. He appears at several rallies, with Congressmen Tom Latham and Steve King.

"Well, the time has come. Today is the big day for Iowans. Once again, I wish the best of luck for my opponents, Mitt Romney and Tom Tancredo, and there's no doubt I will need some luck too. (audience laughter)

Anyway, today is the day that, by voting in the caucuses, you're shaping the outcome of the Republican primaries and caucuses, and what's more, the election in general. I hope you'll consider a vote for Mike Huckabee. Now, a final note.

I'm campaigning as the Reaganesque candidate in the race, which is exactly what Romney and Tancredo are doing as well. That's all very good, and I'm glad to see that we're all looking up to him as Republicans. However, there's one thing that I can't do, and that's to claim that Reagan would endorse me. I can't say that no matter how close I feel to him, because although I would have loved it if he did endorse me, I can't claim to speak for Reagan. So, I don't know who Reagan would endorse, BUT, I endorse him, and I hope you'll keep that in mind when voting today. Thanks once again and God bless America! (audience applause)"

--From a rally in Cedar Rapids
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #110 on: September 13, 2010, 01:24:12 PM »

Mark Warner makes his last few campaign stops in Iowa, with his time in Iowa ending at teh end of the night with a campaign rally in Des Moines.

"I have faith in the voters, they make the decisions, not the politicians."
ej2mm15
electoraljew2
United States

« Reply #111 on: September 13, 2010, 02:31:51 PM »

Results after I finish my homework.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #112 on: September 13, 2010, 02:37:24 PM »

Mitt Romney makes a last minute plea to voters in a one-minute ad segment...

America is in trying times, with staggering unemployment numbers, higher taxes, and less and less families being able to send their children to college. My friends, decline can happen quickly, even to a great nation, and it's a sobering thought. In such a short time, we have watched how in a matter of months our debt can increase by 4 trillion! Liberty is the right to be free, in our conscience, in our mind, free in our decisions making. We have the pursuit of happiness. This was a radical concept: what I produce belongs to me, not the king, and not the government. These are the ideals that animated the founding fathers, and these are the same ideas that will be implemented under a Romney administration. However, I will be a sympathetic leader, and I realize that their our times when the government must intervene, for the sake of prosperity and well being. And when those times come, we will be ready. I ask for your vote today, and if I am honored to serve as your President, I will do my best. Thank you.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #113 on: September 13, 2010, 02:44:49 PM »

Mike Huckabee makes a final push in Iowa, with a rally in Iowa City.

Appearing with Tom Latham, Steve King and Chuck Grassley, Mike Huckabee attends a Republican event in the city, where he says:

"Iowans, we can win this race and send the message that we want a conservative Republican. But, to do so, we need your support, becuase in this hour, it's of the utmost importance. If you haven't voted already, I urge you to do so while it's still possible. I'm running because I think we can, and should, get a conservative to win and to get the Republican nomination. Now's the chance, and I ask you to use it. Thanks to all of you once again, and God bless."

He also releases an advertisement touting his gubernatorial experience.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #114 on: September 13, 2010, 02:50:13 PM »

Mitt Romney electrifies a crowd in Des Moine, Iowa...

Friends, let's send Washington a message tonight...a message that we're ready to shake up Washington and return the power back to the people! It can be done, and it will be done, under a Romney administration! Let's bring America back to it's glory days under Ronald Reagan!
ej2mm15
electoraljew2
United States

« Reply #115 on: September 13, 2010, 06:19:17 PM »

FIRST PRIMARY RESULTS!!!
(Democrats- Warner is running unopposed, so he just wins everything)

HUCKABEE WINS IOWA!!!
Iowa

Huckabee 41.3% 17
Romney 40.5% 16
Tancredo 18.2% 7

Wyoming

Romney 68.9% 14
Tancredo 22.3% 0
Huckabee 8.8% 0

Romney Red; Huckabee Blue

Delegate Count
Romney 30
Huckabee 17
Tancredo 7
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: September 13, 2010, 06:53:49 PM »

Tancredo makes a speech in Des Moines, Iowa, conceding both contests:

"I congratulate Governor Huckabee and Governor Romney on their outstanding victories, tonight. I do wish, however, to stress that this is not the end of my campaign, or OUR campaign for reform - we will fight until the end, in New Hampshire and South Carolina and Nevada and onward! Thank you, goodnight, and GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!"
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #117 on: September 13, 2010, 06:55:27 PM »

Can we have a map with the leaners? (as in a map for the polling in states that haven't already voted?) As well as a list of the coming-soon primaries?
ej2mm15
electoraljew2
United States

« Reply #118 on: September 13, 2010, 06:57:13 PM »

Can we have a map with the leaners? (as in a map for the polling in states that haven't already voted?) As well as a list of the coming-soon primaries?

Tomorrow as usual. Wink
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #119 on: September 13, 2010, 06:59:34 PM »

Mitt: Well, it looks like Huckabee's late attacks on me paid off.
Anne: We probably would have been better off not going after Tancredo. That sent a slew of negativity our way. And even when we tried to go positive again, the other two stayed negative.
Mitt: It'll be okay, Anne. We have a delegate lead, which is the most important. People in Wyoming gave us an enormous lead. And Tancredo getting in there splits the anti-Romney vote, which should help us later.
Anne: I am quite surprised by how well Tom did. I'm suprised so many voters bought his tactics.
Mitt: What do you mean?
Anne: I mean, he stayed almost entirely out until a couple days before the election. Then out of nowhere he gets 18% in Iowa and second place in Wyoming. From results so far, he could actually get competitve, which could be trouble, since we hold a lot of western states now.
Mitt: It'll be fine. We have large leads in New Hampshire and Nevada. Michigan is looking good for us, and I bet we'll snag a victory in either South Carolina or Florida. We can still easily get this. Iowa isn't the nation.

A few minutes later...

Iowans, we have come so far. I thank all of you for trying your hardest. While we may not have quite pulled through, we finished only one delegate behind Huckabee. And with our good friends over in Wyoming voting solidly for a true conservative, we now have a delegate lead, as well as a popular vote lead!

We have a long road to go, and I'm confident it will end at the White House. I'd like to congratulate Huckabee on his slim victory tonight. He certainly worked hard to get this. I'd also like to congratulate Representative Tancredo on his impressive showing in both states. But the race is not over, and I am more confident than ever that Republicans from across the nation will continue to get behind our movement of hope and conservative change. Thank you, and God Bless!

That night, Romney makes a quick flight to Michigan, where he has several appearances planned. After that, he'll be heading to New Hampshire where he hopes a landslide victory will give him the momentum he needs.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #120 on: September 13, 2010, 07:02:42 PM »

Mike Huckabee makes a speech in Des Moines, both a victory statement for the Iowa caucus and a concession for the Wyoming caucus.

"I'd like to thank our supporters in Iowa. While tonight's victory is certainly a very important one, our campaign is by no means over, and there's still a long way to go before anyone can claim the 1,191 delegates needed to secure the nomination. I'd also like to congratulate Mitt Romney for his victory in Wyoming, as well as Congressman Tancredo for his performance. I'm very optimistic for the future and I hope that you are as well. So, thanks to all of you again, goodnight and God bless America!" --Mike Huckabee
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #121 on: September 13, 2010, 07:15:22 PM »

Mark Warner's Victory speech:

"Tonight, voters in Iowa and Wyoming have voiced their opinions, they want change, and that's what i plan on bringing to this campaign, a logical choice for change! Thank you, and now on to New Hampshire!"

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #122 on: September 13, 2010, 07:53:15 PM »

Mitt Romney, who is being accompanied by his wife and Sean Hannity, headlines multiple Republican fundraisers across the state of Michigan, then travels to Mount Pleasant, Michigan, where he is endorsed by a popular Republican figure in Michigan...

Today, I'm proud to stand beside the next President of the United States of America. I'm proud to be voting for this man, because I believe his policies will only continue the successes we implemented while I served as Governor. Michiganders, lets all work together and get this great man elected into the White House, and let's start it with a primary win a couple days! I'll be touring the state for the next few days, and hopefully we can appeal to more and more people about the need for conservative change.
- Former Governor John Engler
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #123 on: September 13, 2010, 08:33:31 PM »

Mitt Romney speaks to a crowd in Flint, Michigan, where he criticizes Huckabee's soft stance on crime...

As Congressman, Tom Tancredo voted for tougher penalties against crime the House.  I supported those measures in the Gubernatorial mansion. However, once candidate in this race has consistently been weak on crime: Mike Huckabee. He supports letting off convicted rapists and murderers like Wayne DuMond because he feels sorry for them. Is that the kind of leader you want to lead our nation and be in charge of our childrens future?

feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: September 13, 2010, 08:37:30 PM »

Tom Tancredo speaks to a crowd in Portsmouth, New Hampshire:

"I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Mitt Romney: Mike Huckabee is not the man to lead our children. He feels sorry for rapists, murderers, and child molesters. I think he's shown clearly, during his record as Governor, that he is not our man when it comes to keeping crime off the streets.

You know what else Mike is soft on? Immigration. Big surprise, right? He supported college education for illegal immigrants. Mitt Romney and I both opposed the so called reform bill that President Bush proposed in 2007.

I'm challenging Mike Huckabee right here - find an issue that you're right on.
"
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies