Australian Federal Election - Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:52:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australian Federal Election - Results Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15
Author Topic: Australian Federal Election - Results Thread  (Read 50708 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: August 22, 2010, 10:09:10 PM »

I don't mean to sound dumb, but can someone please explain the "Two-candidate preferred result" thing to me? Smiley

Australian elections work just like in Atlasia.....IRV until two candidates remain, usually Labor and Liberal....those are the results after other preferences are distributed.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #201 on: August 22, 2010, 10:11:37 PM »

I don't mean to sound dumb, but can someone please explain the "Two-candidate preferred result" thing to me? Smiley

Australian elections work just like in Atlasia.....IRV until two candidates remain, usually Labor and Liberal....those are the results after other preferences are distributed.

Ah, thanks. Cheesy
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #202 on: August 22, 2010, 11:01:22 PM »

Now it looks like Tony Crook and WA Nationals are saying that they won't support the Coalition unless they get more $ for rural WA??:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-election/profile-tony-crook-20100822-13azk.html

That's related to a question I was going to ask --

What - other than a political disaster - would prevent some sort of Labor-National coalition (other than the LNP merger in Queensland)?
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #203 on: August 23, 2010, 12:25:58 AM »

Nationals in WA are not for a coalition. Neither are the Nationals in SA but that party is virtually dead.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #204 on: August 23, 2010, 12:37:34 AM »

Now it looks like Tony Crook and WA Nationals are saying that they won't support the Coalition unless they get more $ for rural WA??:

What - other than a political disaster - would prevent some sort of Labor-National coalition (other than the LNP merger in Queensland)?

It just couldn't happen...
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #205 on: August 23, 2010, 12:49:08 AM »

What - other than a political disaster - would cause African Americans to vote Republican in the mid-terms this year?

(okay, probably a little more chance of the Nationals going off and having a Coalition with Labor, but you get the point... the Coalition has been around for about 80 years now - longer than the Liberal Party has been in existance in its current form).
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #206 on: August 23, 2010, 12:51:48 AM »

I know this was asked before, but I didn't quite follow the answer: What specifically happens if it's 75-75, and neither side will budge?  Say Labor gets 75 votes on its side, and has to pick someone on its own side for Speaker because no one on the other side will take it.  Does the government instantly collapse?  Is the only way for 75-75 to work to get someone from the other camp to agree to be Speaker?
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #207 on: August 23, 2010, 01:08:35 AM »

I know this was asked before, but I didn't quite follow the answer: What specifically happens if it's 75-75, and neither side will budge?  Say Labor gets 75 votes on its side, and has to pick someone on its own side for Speaker because no one on the other side will take it.  Does the government instantly collapse?  Is the only way for 75-75 to work to get someone from the other camp to agree to be Speaker?

I'm pretty sure that Dictionary.com has that as the very definition of a Constitutional Crisis... and the reason that Hugh said the size of the House needs to be expanded or shrunk (which echoes my opinion on the Victorian House - see earlier posts).
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #208 on: August 23, 2010, 01:15:11 AM »

More than likely - utter political disaster and another election would have to be called.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #209 on: August 23, 2010, 01:33:44 AM »

The silliest thing about Westminster systems is the position of speaker. It seems like it's set up precisely to result in problems like this.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #210 on: August 23, 2010, 01:39:39 AM »

The silliest thing about Westminster systems is the position of speaker. It seems like it's set up precisely to result in problems like this.

Except in, you know, Westminster.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #211 on: August 23, 2010, 02:24:33 AM »

I'm pretty sure that Dictionary.com has that as the very definition of a Constitutional Crisis... and the reason that Hugh said the size of the House needs to be expanded or shrunk (which echoes my opinion on the Victorian House - see earlier posts).

IMO, Legislatures should always have an odd number of seats to prevent this from happening.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #212 on: August 23, 2010, 02:36:19 AM »

Gillard should just call another election.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #213 on: August 23, 2010, 04:17:00 AM »

Apparently Dunkley is borderline now...I dunno. Fingers crossed, but...I dunno.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #214 on: August 23, 2010, 05:05:36 AM »

The online betting markets are now giving Labor a 60% chance of forming the next government, whereas ~24 hours ago, it was 60/40 the other way.  This more or less tracks the more recent analysis I've been reading, which suggests that a coalition on the right might require the cooperation of too many people who can't stand each other.  Plus there's the possibility that Labor cracks either Hasluck or Dunkley.  If it gets either of those seats, then the best the Coalition can realistically hope for is a new election.

Also, Gillard's chances of being Labor leader at the next election (whenever that might happen) are now up to 50%, according to the oddsmakers.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #215 on: August 23, 2010, 05:16:20 AM »

She was always going to keep the leadership, even if they lost, imho.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #216 on: August 23, 2010, 06:16:45 AM »

ABC list the following seats as being 'in doubt'...

Denison - ALP 50.6
Hasluck - Lib 50.3
Boothby - Lib 50.4
Dunkley - Lib 50.4

Brisbane has been called (again) for the Coalition.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #217 on: August 23, 2010, 06:35:03 AM »

Gillard should just call another election.

The UK tried that
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election,_February_1974
and there was not much change
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election,_October_1974

They did manage to slip in a few more seats, but the smaller parties were the largest benefactors. If there is another election this year, expect to see 5-3 Greens in the House and 12 or more Greens in the Senate.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #218 on: August 23, 2010, 06:54:15 AM »

It seems that Albanese has nothing to worry about in Grayndler; Liberal preferences aren't going overwhelming to the Greens. Current AEC and ABC figures both show 55% ALP.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #219 on: August 23, 2010, 07:01:36 AM »

IMO, Legislatures should always have an odd number of seats to prevent this from happening.

Agreed!

Dunkley is because a couple of bundles have been found in the Liberal pile that should have been in the Labor pile during the recount. I've scrutineered recounts a couple of times and this is not as uncommon as might be suspected. The AEC collects votes in bundles of fifty, so this would have been four bundles in the wrong pile, leading to a change of 400. The Liberal incumbent still leads by 600 votes, so although much closer than before, I suspect he'll hang on.

Corangamite, Liberals trail by 1200 votes and need about 53% of postal votes (2PP) to win the seat... certainly not an impossible task. According to the AEC website this afternoon, just under 80% of the vote has been counted.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #220 on: August 23, 2010, 07:23:34 AM »

At least that sort of thing gets found out in Australia. There have been cases in Britain where that's happened and it's been too late to do anything about it.
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #221 on: August 23, 2010, 07:26:21 AM »

This Australian election has (I believe) given the NO camp in the UK referendum on alternative vote another bat to use:

UK General Election 2010: Hung Parliament confirmed 9 hours after polls closed
Australian General Election 2010: Hung Parliament still not confirmed 50 hours after polls closed

Australia has 1/3rd the electorate and 1/4th the seats but uses AV to elect MP's. Vote NO to AV to ensure fast results.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #222 on: August 23, 2010, 08:08:59 AM »

This Australian election has (I believe) given the NO camp in the UK referendum on alternative vote another bat to use:

UK General Election 2010: Hung Parliament confirmed 9 hours after polls closed
Australian General Election 2010: Hung Parliament still not confirmed 50 hours after polls closed

Australia has 1/3rd the electorate and 1/4th the seats but uses AV to elect MP's. Vote NO to AV to ensure fast results.

I was thinking if it'd influence our referendum when the polls started pointing to a hung parliament. There's the whole possibility of a constitutional crisis and I guess NO could run with the whole "the Greens got 1 MP, but 12% of the vote, what gives?" arguement. Well, atleast the NO side who want PR could use that and just say it's as unfair as FPTP.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #223 on: August 23, 2010, 12:46:19 PM »

First set of maps using a 'proper' key. I probably won't do another leaders map (for the House) until the results are basically final (barring laughably tight races leading to court cases and so on).
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #224 on: August 23, 2010, 06:26:10 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2010, 06:30:18 PM by Gillard > Abbott »

Oakeshott reminds us that "76 is a by-election away from trouble". I still say if the INDs are actually serious about this whole "we'll go to who can govern effectively" business, then they have to go to the ALP because of the situation in the senate.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies