Internal Show Dems in Trouble in IL-2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:42:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  2010 House Election Polls
  Internal Show Dems in Trouble in IL-2
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Internal Show Dems in Trouble in IL-2  (Read 3816 times)
Dgov
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 23, 2010, 10:04:14 PM »

I'm very hesitant to believe this poll myself, as the chances of an upset here are minuscule at best, but according to a telephone poll, Jesse Jackson Jr. is in trouble for his re-election.

http://www.isaac4honesty.com/news.asp?artid=94

http://www.flickr.com/photos/isaachayesdotcom/4920662950/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Apparently 53% say they would vote for Issac Hayes over Jesse Jackson, although it is after mentioning Jackson's possible role in the Blago scandals, and probably under polls Jackson's strength with the Urban poor of Chicago' South side.  But if this number is anywhere close to accurate, the Democrats are in trouble.  Obama won this district in 2008 with 90% of the vote.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 10:05:56 PM »

lofl
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 10:07:44 PM »

Petition for a joke poll thread on the House board.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 11:59:29 PM »

A Republican winning a D+36 district? That wouldn't even happen in a tsunami. And it is worth mentioning that this candidate does share a name with a very popular, now deceased singer, maybe he only polled music who are way out of the loop.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 12:17:19 AM »

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 01:29:30 AM »

Isn't Isaac Hayes dead?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 06:53:33 AM »

Who's the black Republican candidate that's a sex machine to all the chicks?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 07:38:51 AM »

LOL at the Democrats spinning this poll. Face the music, libs!
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 08:28:30 AM »

ROFL
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 12:26:23 PM »

Not that I'm saying I believe this poll, but what was the PVI of the old Rostenkowski district when he lost it?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 01:12:43 PM »

Not that I'm saying I believe this poll, but what was the PVI of the old Rostenkowski district when he lost it?

I think the only way an entrenched incumbent loses a PVI > 20 seat is if he or she is caught up in a huge scandal in an off-year or off-time election, depressing turnout from their own party.  Jesse Jackson Junior isn't there - yet.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 02:49:24 PM »

It would be nice to see an Isaac in Congress, but highly unlikely this will be the guy. Sad
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 03:25:13 PM »

Is this the thread you had in mind when you cautioned people not to say "This Democrat will win, his district is too safe..." the other day?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 03:28:33 PM »

I think the only way an entrenched incumbent loses a PVI > 20 seat is if he or she is caught up in a huge scandal in an off-year or off-time election, depressing turnout from their own party.  Jesse Jackson Junior isn't there - yet.

You'd have to find cash in his freezer. Seriously. This district is not going to flip to Republicans because "we're not thrilled with the economy." We can see massive shifts in safe districts in unusual elections, sure, but I wouldn't bet money on a big swing in a predominantly African-American district to the Republicans for the first time in modern times being one of them. But maybe I'm just lying to myself and refusing to face reality, and African-Americans are going to vote heavily Republican in an Obama mid-term election.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 10:07:40 PM »

You'd have to find cash in his freezer. Seriously. This district is not going to flip to Republicans because "we're not thrilled with the economy." We can see massive shifts in safe districts in unusual elections, sure, but I wouldn't bet money on a big swing in a predominantly African-American district to the Republicans for the first time in modern times being one of them. But maybe I'm just lying to myself and refusing to face reality, and African-Americans are going to vote heavily Republican in an Obama mid-term election.

If the poll is measuring anything, it's not unlike he cash in the freezer. My guess is this represents some fallout from the Blago trial. JJJ was identified at a meeting with Rod, and brother Robert wanted JJJ called as a witness to exonerate himself. Robert's off the hook now, so JJJ may never hit the stand.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 10:41:29 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2010, 10:43:42 PM by A Tree For Trials »

About D+14 or so. In other words basically the inverse of MS-01 or UT-02. Quite different from D+36.

There are actually only 7 more seats more Democratic than this in the country, one of which doesn't elect a voting representative (DC).
JoeyJoeJoe
Rookie
Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.57

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 07:43:15 AM »

The IL-2 has a PVI of about 33.1, though it's probably higher after the 2008 election.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 11:32:42 PM »

Ah thanks.

I also recall reading that it voted around 45% for George HW Bush in 1988. It wasn't as Democratic as a district as everyone speaks of it back then. I mean Democratic enough to vote for any Democrat who wasn't a blatant criminal maybe, but that wasn't the case. Cao actually won a far bigger upset. That was more like if Tom DeLay stayed in the race in 2006 but was still defeated by Lampson.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 11:53:15 PM »

Ah thanks.

I also recall reading that it voted around 45% for George HW Bush in 1988. It wasn't as Democratic as a district as everyone speaks of it back then. I mean Democratic enough to vote for any Democrat who wasn't a blatant criminal maybe, but that wasn't the case. Cao actually won a far bigger upset. That was more like if Tom DeLay stayed in the race in 2006 but was still defeated by Lampson.
Back in 1988 it contained Southern Cook County IIRC, and was far more suburban and therefore competitive than it is now.  Back then the 1st and 7th Districts covered most of the South side, and the former was over 80% black.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2010, 04:19:32 AM »

Ah thanks.

Back in 1988 it contained Southern Cook County IIRC, and was far more suburban and therefore competitive than it is now.  Back then the 1st and 7th Districts covered most of the South side, and the former was over 80% black.

The 7th has been a black west side district and was in the 1980s. You are correct that the 1st and 2nd CDs in the 1980s were oriented so that CD 1 was primarily in the city on the south side and CD 2 spanned the city and the south Cook suburbs.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2010, 02:00:13 PM »

You'd have to find cash in his freezer.
Try human meat. Cash in the freezer would make him lose a primary.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2010, 04:19:54 PM »

Well, if it ends being a jacksonslide, it will be a surprise (or an unpset), won't it?? hahaha
ill ind

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 11:27:05 AM »

You Know, I almost feel sorry for the people in Il-2.

First they had Gus Savage, who got in trouble for sexual harrassment, and played the race card whenever someone confronted him.  "It's the Jews fault" basically.

Then they had Mel Reynolds, a promissing Oxford graduate, who wound up in club fed for having sex with an underage campaign worker.

Now they have Jesse Jackson Jr, who was in my opinion fairly decent until he sold his soul to Rod Blagojevich in an attempt to land a higher office.

Quite frankly Bozo the Clown would do a better job representing that district than the last 3 reps they have had in there.  It also shows the big downfall when one party controls politics in an area for an extended period of time.  The representative may be a total screw up, but come hell or high water people are still going to vote for that screw-up as long as he is the candidate of their party.

Ill_Ind
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 12:07:06 PM »

Illinois' ridiculous primary date doesn't help either. That's quite incumbent-friendly.
JoeyJoeJoe
Rookie
Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.57

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 02:48:37 PM »

You Know, I almost feel sorry for the people in Il-2.

First they had Gus Savage, who got in trouble for sexual harrassment, and played the race card whenever someone confronted him.  "It's the Jews fault" basically.

Then they had Mel Reynolds, a promissing Oxford graduate, who wound up in club fed for having sex with an underage campaign worker.

Now they have Jesse Jackson Jr, who was in my opinion fairly decent until he sold his soul to Rod Blagojevich in an attempt to land a higher office.

Quite frankly Bozo the Clown would do a better job representing that district than the last 3 reps they have had in there.  It also shows the big downfall when one party controls politics in an area for an extended period of time.  The representative may be a total screw up, but come hell or high water people are still going to vote for that screw-up as long as he is the candidate of their party.

Ill_Ind

DId actual clown Ray Wardingly run here, or in the 1st?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies