TX-23: Republican internal poll shows Republican leading (surprising, I know)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:01:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  2010 House Election Polls
  TX-23: Republican internal poll shows Republican leading (surprising, I know)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TX-23: Republican internal poll shows Republican leading (surprising, I know)  (Read 971 times)
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 23, 2010, 06:38:28 AM »

http://blogs.cqpolitics.com/eyeon2010/2010/08/texas-canseco-rodriguez-poll.html

Quico Canseco (R) - 43
Ciro Rodriguez (D) - 37

ajc0918
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 09:43:03 AM »

I hope Canseco wins, I can't stand Ciro.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 05:27:23 PM »

This CD is too hyper-partisan for either the R or D to get much below 45%.

That being said, if Rasmussen is right and Obama's approval in Texas is 34%, it would suggest that the border regions in this CD do not approve of Obama.  If that translates into non-votes for Ciro, he will be in big trouble.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 05:44:31 PM »

This CD is too hyper-partisan for either the R or D to get much below 45%.

That being said, if Rasmussen is right and Obama's approval in Texas is 34%, it would suggest that the border regions in this CD do not approve of Obama.  If that translates into non-votes for Ciro, he will be in big trouble.

Obama won this district narrowly in 2008 (50-49 i believe), so for Ciro to hold on he basically has to attract some McCain voters.  He only won 56% in 2008, which suggests that Canseco leading is not unlikely, given that a 5-6 point shift from 2008, especially in a 60-ish Percent Hispanic district, is to be expected.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 06:52:18 PM »

Canseco has a big problem with past unpaid taxes, which keeps him from being Generic R.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/politics/candidatehas_faced715000in_liens_97997849.html
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 08:28:49 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2010, 09:00:53 PM by Torie »

The district is semi marginal, so if Ciro has problems with his personal ethics, it is not that much of a surprise, particularly in this election cycle.

Addendum: Oh, it is the the GOP guy with problems. Well, that suggests that the Dems this year look to do as well with Hispanics in Texas, as it appears they will do in California. No wonder Obama is flogging the immigration issue. It makes sense, in that sense.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 09:24:40 PM »

That's probably balanced out by his name in this area of Texas. 

Anyway, the available swing portion of this CD is probably not greater than 10% for any candidate.  Turnout may be more important than swinging voters, actually, now that I think about it.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 09:39:19 PM »

Anyway, the available swing portion of this CD is probably not greater than 10% for any candidate.  Turnout may be more important than swinging voters, actually, now that I think about it.

Yes, the Dems will be hurt more by low Hispanic turnout than by vote switching, but there will be some vote switching.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 09:43:19 PM »

Yes, the Dems will be hurt more by low Hispanic turnout than by vote switching, but there will be some vote switching.

Be forewarned though - Ciro is always very good at turning out his voters in the San Antonio barrios even if the numbers and his lack of money indicate otherwise.  This does not mean, of course, spectacular turnout, but it means the Hispanic turnout will likely be slightly higher than statewide average, specifically in the Bexar County part of this CD only.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 10:19:11 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2010, 11:07:57 PM by Torie »

Anyway, the available swing portion of this CD is probably not greater than 10% for any candidate.  Turnout may be more important than swinging voters, actually, now that I think about it.

Be forewarned though - Ciro is always very good at turning out his voters in the San Antonio barrios even if the numbers and his lack of money indicate otherwise.  This does not mean, of course, spectacular turnout, but it means the Hispanic turnout will likely be slightly higher than statewide average, specifically in the Bexar County part of this CD only.

Yes, I agree. That precise area may be the [most] politicized (and organized) Hispanic area in the US come to think of it (outside of course of the Cuban community). What do you think?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 10:39:52 PM »

As Sam's stated, this is a district with a very...unique political culture and national trends aren't what I'd base my bets on here.  That said, Ciro is likely in pretty serious trouble, especially since he's not that impressive a politician to begin with.  He's hardly sunk, though.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies