Will the Democrats move in the direction of States' rights? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:11:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will the Democrats move in the direction of States' rights? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will the Democrats move in the direction of States' rights?
Yes
No
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Will the Democrats move in the direction of States' rights?  (Read 5046 times)
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« on: May 22, 2010, 08:19:41 PM »

I could never see the Democrats returning to a state's rights platform.  Civil rights are completely ingrained into the party and extracting them like that would cause their base to collapse.  Democrats nationally are all about using the federal government to correct real and perceived injustices against those with little to no political and/or economic power.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 05:26:02 PM »

I could never see the Democrats returning to a state's rights platform.  Civil rights are completely ingrained into the party and extracting them like that would cause their base to collapse.  Democrats nationally are all about using the federal government to correct real and perceived injustices against those with little to no political and/or economic power.

Civil rights can mean alot of things such as someone's civil right to not allow someone at their restaurant. After all, you and I have the same right to not allow someone in our home if we choose not to. I don't agree with segregation, but I do not think it's any of the federal government's business.

It's one thing to not allow someone in your business if they are threatening your customers or causing a disturbance.  It's a completely different matter to deny someone service based on their religion, race, ethnicity, etc.  Also, there are major differences between keeping strangers out of your house and kicking them out of a store.  That's apples and oranges. 

The government has every right to ensure the fair and equal treatment of all citizens.  I don't want to even imagine the kinds of injustices that would still be taking place if we didn't have anti-segregation laws.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies