Rendell vs. Ridge in PA?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:06:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Rendell vs. Ridge in PA?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Rendell vs. Ridge in PA?  (Read 5953 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2004, 09:04:45 PM »

It would be an interesting match. Rendell would probably still win though.

Won't happen. Ridge seems doesn't seem to aspire executive positions.

Ok while I agree that Ridge probably won't run I would like to strongly disagree with the idea that Rendell could beat Ridge. Ridge was one of the most popular Governors in PA history. I'd love to hear this theory on how Rendell would win...

It seems to me that there are still a few Dems that think this is the Rendell from 2002.

Why wasn't Ridge campaigning for Bush in PA? He wasn't that popular.....and let's not forget that Bush lost PA. Ridge is now tied with Bush...he couldn't win the state. It would also be too hard to overwhelm Rendell's support in the Southeast.

Ridge was an ok governor, he was pretty environmentally friendly...but he did nothing for the state. He left PA with the worst economy ever...he started a few economic development programs but never applied them and they were severely underfunded. Rendell is the only one to actually *do* something. Check out the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, job growth is finally starting to happen in Western PA from some of the same companies Rendell has been working with.

What are you talking about?

Ridge did campaign for Bush here in 2000.  In 2004, he was too damn busy doing things more important than campaigning.

At anyrate, jobs have been on the rise since 2000.  The Post-Gazette is a rag.  At least the Tribune-Review puts other points of view on its opinion page.  The Post-Gazette is just one DNC talking point after another.

Ridge was the one who started the innitiative to imporve Western PA (after Casey had successfully wheened it off of heavy manufacturing).  What the Hell has Rendell done in just two years.  Seriously, you are redoucing your point of view to a joke if you think that Rendell has anything to do with the revitalization of the Western PA economy.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2004, 09:05:58 PM »

At anyrate, if Ridge ran again, he would sweep everything outside of Philadelphia.
danwxman

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2004, 09:19:31 PM »

Ok while I agree that Ridge probably won't run I would like to strongly disagree with the idea that Rendell could beat Ridge. Ridge was one of the most popular Governors in PA history. I'd love to hear this theory on how Rendell would win...

It seems to me that there are still a few Dems that think this is the Rendell from 2002.

Why wasn't Ridge campaigning for Bush in PA? He wasn't that popular.....and let's not forget that Bush lost PA. Ridge is now tied with Bush...he couldn't win the state. It would also be too hard to overwhelm Rendell's support in the Southeast.

Ridge was an ok governor, he was pretty environmentally friendly...but he did nothing for the state. He left PA with the worst economy ever...he started a few economic development programs but never applied them and they were severely underfunded. Rendell is the only one to actually *do* something. Check out the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, job growth is finally starting to happen in Western PA from some of the same companies Rendell has been working with.

Ridge did campaign for Bush here in 2000.  In 2004, he was too damn busy doing things more important than campaigning.

At anyrate, jobs have been on the rise since 2000.  The Post-Gazette is a rag.  At least the Tribune-Review puts other points of view on its opinion page.  The Post-Gazette is just one DNC talking point after another.

Ridge was the one who started the innitiative to imporve Western PA (after Casey had successfully wheened it off of heavy manufacturing).  What the Hell has Rendell done in just two years.  Seriously, you are redoucing your point of view to a joke if you think that Rendell has anything to do with the revitalization of the Western PA economy.

The PPG is a DNC rag? LOL...

Anyway, it's amazing a what a quick google search will get you...from August 14..

Gov. Ed Rendell and Dennis Yablonsky, the community and economic development secretary, have distributed more than $43 million in economic development grants across Western Pennsylvania over the last three days, including a $12 million package in Washington County on Monday.

Beginning Aug. 14, Mr. Rendell, a Democrat, and Mr. Yablonsky, who formerly served as chief executive of the Pittsburgh Life Sciences Greenhouse, distributed $12 million in grants for development projects in Mercer County, $5.5 million for efforts in Butler County, and $3.5 million for projects in Fayette County, among others.

In Washington County, the majority of the grant money included $9 million in Redevelopment Assistance Capital Program funds for The Crossroads Project, which is part of a 14-block revitalization program in the city of Washington.

The $100 million Crossroads Project will focus on two blocks and include new office space, two parking garages, an 80-room hotel, entertainment venues and street-level retail space. When completed, the project is expected to create around 1,200 jobs in downtown Washington.

The grants announced Monday included $1 million for redevelopment of the Western Center site adjacent to the Southpointe industrial park in Washington County. The Western Center project, which has come to be known as Southpointe II, is expected to generate more than $150 million in private investment and ultimately create more than 7,500 jobs.

And this from March:

On Monday, March 22, 2004, U. S. Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman and Governor Ed Rendell met at the Richard McElhancy farm in Hookstown, Beaver County, to announce that $146 million would now become available to help western Pennsylvania farmers and improve Pennsylvania's water quality. The far-reaching impact of this important work will extend to the Gulf of Mexico.

Not to mention countless economic revitalization projects and grants all over the state. This is exactly what Ridge didn't do.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2004, 09:29:48 PM »

Anyway, it's amazing a what a quick google search will get you...from August 14..

Gov. Ed Rendell and Dennis Yablonsky, the community and economic development secretary, have distributed more than $43 million in economic development grants across Western Pennsylvania over the last three days, including a $12 million package in Washington County on Monday.

Beginning Aug. 14, Mr. Rendell, a Democrat, and Mr. Yablonsky, who formerly served as chief executive of the Pittsburgh Life Sciences Greenhouse, distributed $12 million in grants for development projects in Mercer County, $5.5 million for efforts in Butler County, and $3.5 million for projects in Fayette County, among others.

In Washington County, the majority of the grant money included $9 million in Redevelopment Assistance Capital Program funds for The Crossroads Project, which is part of a 14-block revitalization program in the city of Washington.

The $100 million Crossroads Project will focus on two blocks and include new office space, two parking garages, an 80-room hotel, entertainment venues and street-level retail space. When completed, the project is expected to create around 1,200 jobs in downtown Washington.

The grants announced Monday included $1 million for redevelopment of the Western Center site adjacent to the Southpointe industrial park in Washington County. The Western Center project, which has come to be known as Southpointe II, is expected to generate more than $150 million in private investment and ultimately create more than 7,500 jobs.

And this from March:

On Monday, March 22, 2004, U. S. Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman and Governor Ed Rendell met at the Richard McElhancy farm in Hookstown, Beaver County, to announce that $146 million would now become available to help western Pennsylvania farmers and improve Pennsylvania's water quality. The far-reaching impact of this important work will extend to the Gulf of Mexico.

Not to mention countless economic revitalization projects and grants all over the state. This is exactly what Ridge didn't do.

Ummmmm... I know for a fact that Ridge spent a lot of money on Western Pa.  Among many other projects he gave a grant to restore downtown Erie, Sharon and Meadville.  So don't try to tell me that it didn't happen.  I live here.

So what, Rendell gave us some table scrapes from the great eastern PA pork banquet.  Do you mean to tell me that in just one year that has lead to economic development?
danwxman

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2004, 09:32:14 PM »

And this from March:

Ummmmm... I know for a fact that Ridge spent a lot of money on Western Pa.  Among many other projects he gave a grant to restore downtown Erie, Sharon and Meadville.  So don't try to tell me that it didn't happen.  I live here.

So what, Rendell gave us some table scrapes from the great eastern PA pork banquet.  Do you mean to tell me that in just one year that has lead to economic development?

Yup. I need to dig the article out of the Valley Independent, but Rendell did single-handedly bring a new plant that builds manufactured houses to Monessen in the Westmoreland Industrial Park that will create 100 jobs. Groundbreaking was a few months ago.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2004, 09:51:13 PM »

At anyrate, if Ridge ran again, he would sweep everything outside of Philadelphia.

I wouldn't go that far but I do believe Ridge would win. Our best hope is either Hart or Toomey. Piccola or Scranton as nominee would be a disaster.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2004, 09:17:25 AM »

Ridge certainly has the best shot at beating Rendell...if he runs, I don't know who I'd vote for.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies