Which school of economic thought do you prefer?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2024, 05:16:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Poll
Question: Which school of economic thought do you prefer?
Austrian School

Chicago School

Keynesian School

Marxist School (the opebo option)

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: Which school of economic thought do you prefer?  (Read 9709 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 02, 2010, 02:38:45 PM »

I strongly prefer the Keynesian school, obviously. I'm curious to see how it breaks down for the rest of the forum, or at least this board. Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 02:54:52 PM »

I prefer the Austrian School. It complements my political views, which is the main criterion most people will use to answer this question. I am just willing to admit it. Smiley
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 03:10:28 PM »

Marxist, and other.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 03:40:23 PM »

Austrian School, except that I'm not a goldbug.  I just think the government should get out of the currency manipulation business.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 03:51:24 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2010, 03:55:36 PM by The Goy's Teeth »

Yes, Preston pointed there to a specific problem I have with nearly all the 'schools' mentioned here except Marxism - their ahistoricism and also, more obliquely, their human universalism.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 03:52:33 PM »

Keynesian generally, with the American (if it counts) mixed in as well.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 04:16:35 PM »

Let's be clear: you have beasts of very different type listed.

The "Chicago school" and the (Neo)-Keynsians (it's hard to find the ones without a "neo" these days) are among the many currently existing approaches to the study of macroeconomics (though, these days we'd, probably, be speaking more often of the Minnesota school, when discussing the freshwater thinking Smiley) ). Neither term is particularly applicable to any other branch of economics: as a microeconomist, for instance, I have no opinion whatsoever on the relative virtues of these (nor is anyone expecting me to have such an opinion). Still, I am aware of the broad division of that world into the freshwater and the saltwater types - macroeconomists are a bit like crocs Smiley) The saltwaters concentrate on all sorts of somewhat undermodelled imperfections, which they tend to accept exogenously, as descriptions of the empirical fact. Whereas the freshwaters want to model everything from the first principles, so if any imperfections are there, they have to be generated endogenously. Still, methodologically the two "schools" are rather similar: you, probably, need graduate training in economics to figure out which paper in a learned journal is representing what.

Both the Marxism and the Austrian School have at one point been important schools of economic thought. They played enormous role in formulating modern economics. Marxism, though much more traditionalist of the two (in terms of his approach Marx was much more faithful to the classics like Adam Smith or Ricardo than most of his contemporaries), turned out to be somewhat a dead end, considering the development in economics that began already in Marx's own lifetime. To the extent that modern Marxists still exist in the economic profession, they tend to concentrate on issues of planning and such - things that, frankly, bore most modern economists to death. The bulk of self-identified Marxists wouldn't be identified as economists by the rest of us. Still, people like Duncan Foley or John Roemer have made some very important contributions to the modern economic profession at large fairly recently (and are still active).  So, at least, there are people who are both Marxists and economists out there today Smiley)

Austrian school was, in a sense, much more important until fairly recently. A lot of the modern views on basic micro where either formed by the Austrians or in conversation with them. Unfortunately, "Austrianism" is dead as a scientific school today. Its last two representatives of note were Hayek and Mises, who, unquestionably, were great economists. Unfortunately, what right now mascarades as the Austrian school is a Misesian religious cult dedicated to the eternal interpretation of the words of the Prophet. Their rejection of the scientific method as applied to social sciences has put them completely outside of not merely economics, but of any science. Their rejection of the common language of modern research has made them unintelligible to anyone but themselves. There are some decent people trying to bridge the gap between the modern Austrians and the rest of the humanity, but they are few and I don't envy them Smiley) For the most part (with very few exceptions), it's a cult and a theology, not economics at all.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »

BTW, who here can define each "school" Smiley) It's a funny thing to vote on something without a clear idea of what is what.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 04:29:12 PM »

isn't the Chicago school pretty much a variety of the Austrian?
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 05:10:56 PM »

Austrian
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 07:31:34 PM »

Mostly Keynesian, but the Austrians have some good ideas.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 07:52:04 PM »

closest to Marxism. democracy can only exist where it exists at the point of production due to the necessary tendency of concentrated capital to take state power. however I have fundamental disagreements with orthodox Marxists and would hesitate to label myself as one.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 07:52:58 PM »

also, opebo would probably call himself a Keynesian.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 08:00:38 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2010, 08:02:51 PM by ag »

To the extent that they have about exactly nothing in common (other than both are somewhat associated w/ political conservatism) this is rather funny Smiley))  For the Austrian cultists Chicagoans are worse than the Devil reincarnate, much worse than the Marxists. For Chicagoans the Austrians don't exist.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 09:15:56 PM »

By way of analogy, the Chicagoans are to the Austrians as the Keynesians are to the Marxists.  The Chicago and Keynesian schools have much more in common than the Austrian and Chicago schools.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 10:32:22 PM »

He is anything but Smiley
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 11:34:57 PM »

What?  No, not at all, even though they often come to some of the same conclusions in support of minimal government interference.
I thought Hayek was instrumental in developing the Chicago school and the thought of people such as Milton Friedman?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 01:59:22 AM »

Other: Institutionalist
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 03:15:37 AM »

Keynesian, but I'm open to just about anything.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 08:19:19 AM »

I'm closest to to the Chicago School, but probably a bit more iconoclastic.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010, 01:17:05 PM »

If we are to have the brutality of capitalism, Keynesianism is the best way to manage it.  But I'm also somewhat Marxist.  

However I'm skeptical that there is any difference between 'economic thought' and political preference.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 04:06:57 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2010, 07:22:48 PM by ag »

However I'm skeptical that there is any difference between 'economic thought' and political preference.

That's because you don't really bother to learn economics Smiley) In terms of political preference, an average Chicago econ guy is, probably, not that much different from an average self-identified Austrian: in Chicago they do tend to be very much pro free-market. However, in terms of their views on economics, they wouldn't be even able to agree on what IS economics Smiley) There is really not much of a possibility of a reasonable conversation between them. And, of course, a fairly recent student of Lucas (can't be more Chicago than that) went on to be a member of the Venezuelan cabinet under Chavez (and one of the early ideologues of that regime) Smiley)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 09:50:59 PM »

I'm not an economist, so I don't know. I'm aware of the political/policy differences between advocates of the Chicago and Keynesian schools (and think these are important, in historical terms, in their own right) but I don't know how they differ at actually looking at the workings of the economy; something that is, presumably, their main function as academics. I know very little about the way the Austrian school has looked at such things, and don't want to know more; I have no particular interest in seeing how sociopaths and their fanboys view the world. Marxism can mean any one of thousands of different approaches to almost anything and I don't know a thing about any specific Marxist approaches to economics as a distinctive subject. In any event, I'm not sure if you could honestly call such a thing Marxist given the massive importance of unity to Marxism. Marxist-influenced maybe (but how unusual is that in academia? All competent historians, sociologists and human geographers are Marxist-influenced, whether they want to admit it or not).

Ramble, ramble. It's late and none of this makes sense. Like life? No.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2010, 04:56:33 AM »

I think Ag summed up everything I would have wanted to say plus more that I didn't know. So, yeah.

I think modern economics on the whole is sufficiently scientific for the whole concept of schools to be a bit superfluous. I mean, you wouldn't refer to differences within the medical or physicist community as "schools of thought" the way you do in history or sociology. Or at least that is my uneducated impression.

There are points of contention and some of them are linked to politics, but that's really it.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2010, 11:50:52 AM »

That's because you don't really bother to learn economics

Actually no, the skepticism is the reason I didn't bother to learn economics.  I don't know much about religion either.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies