Tax Reform (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:52:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Tax Reform (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What idea do you like the most?
Flat Tax w/ $35,000 exemption

Federal Sales Tax w/ rebate to help lower class

VAT (Value Added Tax)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Tax Reform  (Read 8457 times)
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -5.39

« on: November 09, 2004, 07:31:51 PM »

I can see a number of problems with both VAT and any kind of sales tax. If the goal is to provide some sort of equity in the tax code, I can't see you the inherent regressive nature of either type of tax would be a good idea. True, you can exempt certain types of products, but for those that you don't exempt, you will see the lower incomes paying a higher portion of their income to taxes. I can't see an effective tax code that isn't means tested in some way. Yes, you could provide a refund at the end of the year for lower incomes, but is this really a comfort to those who live paycheck to paycheck.

Honestly, I think the main flaw in the current tax code is the complexity. In theory, I think it is the best way to tax. I think that the first place to start is to eliminate all exemptions and then start from scratch. Children...mortgage...education...medical expenses.... eliminate capital gains... exemption for small business losses...These are the types of exemptions that should be put back in. I think they would effect the greatest number of people and are fairly straight-forward.
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -5.39

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 02:51:51 PM »

The idea is to pay people up front, so the sales tax doesn't matter if you're living paycheck to paycheck.

I agree with you that complexity is the main flaw, but as a libertarian-leaning Republican, I don't really like having to report my income to the government every year.

Then I would think you'd disapprove of giving the government an interest free loan for a good part of the year.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies