Euro 2012 Qualifiers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:32:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Euro 2012 Qualifiers
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 30
Author Topic: Euro 2012 Qualifiers  (Read 72258 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: September 06, 2011, 04:43:31 PM »

Although, come to think of it, I think Holland is guaranteed best runner-up even if they were to lose the remaining games.

Yeah, Netherlands qualified because even if the Swedes tie them, they're still best runner up. So it's Italy, Germany, Holland, Ukraine and Poland as of today.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #326 on: September 07, 2011, 02:17:55 AM »

Austrian goalkeeper Pascal Grünwald fouls Turkish striker and then saves the penalty shot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKnmoYmKF14
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #327 on: September 07, 2011, 02:30:16 AM »

The best was the Austrian commentator, when he said live on TV:

"F**k, aufpassen !" ("F**k, watch out !")

Wink
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #328 on: September 07, 2011, 04:26:52 AM »

Well, having studied the table I think best runner-up is realistically between Denmark and Greece, with Sweden as an outsider.

It could also be Croatia, if they lose to Greece and finish second in their group.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #329 on: September 07, 2011, 05:40:35 PM »

Well, having studied the table I think best runner-up is realistically between Denmark and Greece, with Sweden as an outsider.

It could also be Croatia, if they lose to Greece and finish second in their group.

Greece has won all but one game (which ended in a draw) at home so I think their remaining home game against Croatia should go their way. Croatia will win its last game but as long as Greece don't lose in Georgia, Greece will win the group.

I think it's going to be between Sweden and Croatia for the best runner-up spot. You guys should beat Finland but I'm guessing that even with The Netherlands' taking their foot off the pedal a bit, they'll still get a draw against the Swedes in the final game. That would put Sweden and Croatia equal with 22 points from their respective groups.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #330 on: September 08, 2011, 04:29:08 AM »

Greece has won all but one game (which ended in a draw) at home so I think their remaining home game against Croatia should go their way. Croatia will win its last game but as long as Greece don't lose in Georgia, Greece will win the group.

I think it's going to be between Sweden and Croatia for the best runner-up spot. You guys should beat Finland but I'm guessing that even with The Netherlands' taking their foot off the pedal a bit, they'll still get a draw against the Swedes in the final game. That would put Sweden and Croatia equal with 22 points from their respective groups.

I'm not certain that Croatia can't get their act together and beat the Greek. Tying Latvia is not particularly impressive. Not that it matters - either way the best runner-up out of that group is likely to have 22 point (16 once you deduct those against the worse team).

We should beat Finland, which would put us at 21 (15). So we need that point against Holland quite badly. It's at home and they will have nothing to play for, so hopefully we'll get it. Although Holland sort of strikes me as the kind of team that might whip us for fun anyway. Sad

I also wouldn't count out Denmark though. Even if they lose against Portugal, a win against Cyprus would put them at 16 as well.

At least we have an edge in goal difference - especially against Greece. Croatia has a good goal difference so I'm hoping for them to win their group...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #331 on: September 08, 2011, 09:11:44 AM »

(16 once you deduct those against the worse team).

Oh, right.

I'm not saying that Croatia can't get their act together; they certainly can. And Greece's tying with Latvia definitely wasn't impressive (it was almost a loss). I still like Greece's chances at home.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yeah, they have a history of doing that.

I, again, forgot about the subtraction of points against the worst team in one's group. I was actually expecting them to draw with Portugal at home and beat Cyprus so that should make them the best runner up but we'll see what happens. Crazy things can happen. Cyprus did tie Portugal in the opening game (a stunning 4-4 result) in Portugal and only lost by a goal against Norway in their next game. Sometimes, when these teams have the chance to spoil things for their opponents, they kick it into overdrive.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #332 on: September 09, 2011, 12:12:18 AM »
« Edited: September 09, 2011, 12:13:58 AM by Iosif »

Italy are rubbish. This ain't the 90's anymore. The Italians are all old and sh**t and slow. Serie A is also rubbish. It was revived briefly by Jose Mourinho aka GOD but it has since gone back to being rubbish. The French are set to overtake them this year in the UEFA coefficient as well. All the best players are leaving in droves, even if it means playing in a Daghestanian hellhole. Have you been to Milan? My God that's a grim city. Horrible, really horrible. I don't blame Eto'o at all. Are you going to watch Barca v AC next week? Don't. It'll be embarrassing. A hiding to nothing. 4, 5, 6 easily. Milan best players are all Premier League/Liga rejects anyway. Robinho, Zlatan... Boateng couldn't even get a game at Spurs. How the mighty have fallen - I remember Juve in the 90's. What a team! Now it's like watching an OAP Sunday league kick about at the local park. Only with less fans in attendance.

Italy will flame out in the group stages next year as per. They'll be tears. They'll be tantrums. They'll be finger pointing. But nobody will be surprised and more importantly nobody will care. Italian football is a cancer on the beautiful game. I for one gladly celebrate it's rapid death spiral.  
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #333 on: September 09, 2011, 12:18:35 AM »

Italy are rubbish. This ain't the 90's anymore. The Italians are all old and sh**t and slow.

This is a very young team but thanks for playing.

Proof? You might be thinking of the Germans who just did.

Several times, in fact. I enjoy it.

Wouldn't matter to me. Milan isn't my Italian team anyway.

C+

Showed some half decent attempts but still easily detectable. Suggested methods for better trolling: getting my Serie A team preference correct; don't get basic facts wrong (i.e., saying that the Italians have an old team. It isn't 2010 anymore).
Iosif

Political Matrix

« Reply #334 on: September 09, 2011, 12:23:22 AM »

Not everyone who disagrees with you is trolling.

I suggest you stop being such a massive fanny.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #335 on: September 09, 2011, 12:45:57 AM »

Not everyone who disagrees with you is trolling.

I suggest you stop being such a massive fanny.

Well, I mean, there were some glaring errors for a "fan" of the game.  Tongue
Iosif

Political Matrix

« Reply #336 on: September 09, 2011, 01:12:58 AM »

I'm sorry, I'm not having being lectured on football by a colonial commoner.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #337 on: September 09, 2011, 01:16:16 AM »

I'm sorry, I'm not having being lectured on football by a colonial commoner.

I've played the game for most of my life, don't follow anything regarding the American version of the game and do follow real Football/Soccer (oops. I know you dislike calling it that...). I'm not a "colonial" follower of the game by any stretch of the imagination.

But if we want to have a debate about this aspect of the game, let's take it to one of the other threads. Let's save this for Euro 2012 talk.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #338 on: September 10, 2011, 04:11:29 AM »

1. I must say that I still think Italy sort of looks a lot less strong than they have historically.
2. Despite that, Italy (together with Germany) is the team that I never count out regardless of how badly they've done.

3. Italy's team is still pretty old, imo. If you look at the German line-up against Austria the majority was younger than 25 (8/11). In Italy's last game only 2 were (and none below 23). The vast majority in Italy is still close to 30 which makes the team pretty old, albeit not by Italian standards.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #339 on: September 10, 2011, 03:59:07 PM »

If you look at the German line-up against Austria the majority was younger than 25 (8/11). In Italy's last game only 2 were (and none below 23). The vast majority in Italy is still close to 30 which makes the team pretty old, albeit not by Italian standards.

Close to 30, sure, but we only have two starters that are actually at or older than 30 (I don't even want to count Buffon in that since he's in goal and age isn't much of a factor for him/keepers last much longer in this game).

To nit pick, there definitely was a player (though not a starter) that was under 23 in our last game: Balotelli. He didn't come in until the very end though.

I think the average age on the team is somewhere in the mid 20s and that's not old by Italian standards. This squad is likely younger, on average, than the 2006 team and that's good enough for me.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #340 on: September 10, 2011, 04:22:45 PM »

If you look at the German line-up against Austria the majority was younger than 25 (8/11). In Italy's last game only 2 were (and none below 23). The vast majority in Italy is still close to 30 which makes the team pretty old, albeit not by Italian standards.

Close to 30, sure, but we only have two starters that are actually at or older than 30 (I don't even want to count Buffon in that since he's in goal and age isn't much of a factor for him/keepers last much longer in this game).

To nit pick, there definitely was a player (though not a starter) that was under 23 in our last game: Balotelli. He didn't come in until the very end though.

I think the average age on the team is somewhere in the mid 20s and that's not old by Italian standards. This squad is likely younger, on average, than the 2006 team and that's good enough for me.

Yeah, I was talking of the starting line-up, so I didn't count Balotelli. And of course Buffon is fine. Still, it's a fairly old squad. Not too old for the Euros, sure, but next World Cup still looks a bit grim to me, since a large part of the current starters will be 30+ by then.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #341 on: September 10, 2011, 04:31:38 PM »

Yeah, I was talking of the starting line-up, so I didn't count Balotelli. And of course Buffon is fine. Still, it's a fairly old squad. Not too old for the Euros, sure, but next World Cup still looks a bit grim to me, since a large part of the current starters will be 30+ by then.

Prandelli is still experimenting with younger players. We'll probably see a few of them in the remaining qualifiers and Friendlies since we've already qualified.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #342 on: September 11, 2011, 04:34:20 AM »

Prandelli is still experimenting with younger players. We'll probably see a few of them in the remaining qualifiers and Friendlies since we've already qualified.

Younger players being 27-year olds? Wink

I remember in the last World Cup this sort of famous guy who was a commentator in Swedish tv and was a huge Italy fan was really broken down after they lost against Slovakia and was talking about how they needed to let in the new young players. I think his example was Di Natale who was already over 30 and Quagliarella who was getting there. That struck me as amusing and slightly telling of the Italian perspective on age.

I have to say that the strong teams from last Worlds (Germany, Spain, Holland) really look like the strongest ones so far this time around as well.

My guess for the Euros win would be Germany, but it's by no means a given. I'll never make the mistake of counting out Italy. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #343 on: September 11, 2011, 09:48:45 PM »

25-27 year olds, yes.  Wink

Sure but if I had to pick a top four, I would honestly say that Italy rounds out that group. I like how things are being set up. It reminds me of 2006: a very disappointing previous tournament, a domestic league scandal and strong skepticism from the rest of the world about our chances despite improvement.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #344 on: September 12, 2011, 12:08:48 PM »

25-27 year olds, yes.  Wink

Sure but if I had to pick a top four, I would honestly say that Italy rounds out that group. I like how things are being set up. It reminds me of 2006: a very disappointing previous tournament, a domestic league scandal and strong skepticism from the rest of the world about our chances despite improvement.

Well, I'd agree that Italy is a good candidate for 4th team. However, my impression is that the difference is larger between the 4th and 3rd than between the 4th and 5th.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #345 on: October 06, 2011, 03:17:58 PM »

We're back in less than 24 hours! Smiley

Italy vs. Serbia should be interesting. Let's see how the Serbian fans act. Here's hoping they don't act the way they did during the Genoa (suspended) match...though I wouldn't mind getting an automatic 3-0 win by virtue of their forfeit.

There are some really good games tomorrow with a few teams able to book their spots in either the final tournament or the playoff round. Since Italy is already through as group winners, I'm probably more interested in what happens in several other groups. I'm really interested in seeing if Spain defeat the Czech Republic. If so, Scotland has a real shot at qualifying for the playoff round. Of course, that means Scotland will have to win or draw against Spain next week or, if they lose, they'll have to rely on the Czechs falling apart against Lithuania.

Greece vs. Croatia should be good, too. And let's not forget about the drama in Group B (Russia, Ireland, Armenia and Slovakia).
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #346 on: October 06, 2011, 05:11:35 PM »

We need to beat Finland to secure the 2nd place. So I'm hoping that works out. I'm also cheering on Montenegro to make it out in 2nd place. Not that I think they will though.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #347 on: October 06, 2011, 05:57:05 PM »

I'm also cheering on Montenegro to make it out in 2nd place. Not that I think they will though.

It would be quite an accomplishment if they got the second spot but I want the Swiss to qualify. I think England will beat Montenegro (but it should be a tough game) and Switzerland will win against Wales, setting up a decisive final game which the Swiss will take at home.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #348 on: October 06, 2011, 06:34:08 PM »

Turkey needs to lose, Belgium needs to win.

Armenia should beat Macedonia, but Ireland and Russia doing poorly in their away games will be helpful too.

I'll be cheering on Italy (gross), so that Estonia still has a chance of 2nd place.

Don't really have a preference between Switzerland and Montenegro, though Montenegro is apparently resting players tomorrow who are a yellow card away from suspension for the game against Switzerland on Tuesday, which should decide second place.

Scotland's obviously not beating Spain, so the Czechs should hopefully be through to the playoffs.

Keeping Portugal out is going to be tricky, unless Iceland somehow upsets them. But maybe Denmark can win the group by defeating them at home? Cross your fingers.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #349 on: October 06, 2011, 08:52:47 PM »

Agreed.

Russia should still win in Slovakia since the latter has seemed to collapse. Ireland will beat Andorra. Even a poor performance gets teams a win there.

Wink

My feelings on the group are weird. I don't want to see Northern Ireland nor Estonia get through but it would be interesting. I won't be rooting for the runner up from this group in their playoff anyway (unless they're stuck playing teams like Bosnia or Armenia). That means I want Serbia but obviously don't want them to beat us or get a draw tomorrow tomorrow. I can root for Slovenia for the second spot, too, but if we draw with Serbia, it eliminates Slovenia.

They don't have to. Scotland will beat Liechtenstein on Saturday. If Spain beats the Czechs, that puts Scotland a point ahead. If Scotland then draws against Spain, Czech Republic must beat Lithuania. A draw doesn't do them any good. Yeah, I guess a win is likely to happen but not a slam dunk since they're not that great anymore and are playing away. Hell, if Scotland loses to Spain and the Czechs only muster a point against Lithuania, Scotland can still go through.

Iceland isn't beating them at home. Not now at least. Yeah, Cyprus found a way to tie them 4-4 in the opening game for both countries but that was a different time. Portugal has their act together. Norway is likely finished. I think the only way they can qualify for a playoff spot (barring big upsets in tomorrow's games) is on goal difference and they must see someone lose the final group game between Portugal and Denmark.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 30  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies