Euro 2012 Qualifiers (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:32:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Euro 2012 Qualifiers (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Author Topic: Euro 2012 Qualifiers  (Read 72333 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« on: October 05, 2010, 10:31:15 PM »

Portugal has become a total disaster. That game against Cyprus had to be one of the craziest things I've ever seen in Soccer.

As for my beloved side, I have very mixed feelings. That first game was an embarrassment but, as stated earlier, a pretty Italian start for the Italian squad. Crushing the Faroe Islands was great because even though they're minnows, it is very un-Italian to win 5-0.

Friday will be tougher and next week will be the first real challenge. I think we'll take the group rather easily but we'll need some improvement for the final tournament. After that disaster a few months ago, this team better get us to to least the Semi finals.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 10:14:42 AM »

Prandelli isn't going to start Rossi against Northern Ireland tomorrow. The same Rossi that scored a goal and had a great game against the same team just a year ago. This is our first real test and I'm worried they might screw it up.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 12:24:02 PM »

Northern Ireland count as a 'real test' for Italy now? Oh how the mighty have fallen.

I'm not saying it's actually very serious competition but compared to Estonia and the Faroe Islands? Yeah, Northern Ireland counts as the first real test (especially when we're playing them in Belfast).

Don't get too happy, Al. We will still easily win our group and Wales still won't qualify for anything.  Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 03:59:37 PM »

In the last Euro qualifiers Northern Ireland had a strong home record, beating Sweden, Denmark and Spain there. So they're not a team to be trifled with.

Also, Italy actually has a pretty tough group. Serbia, Slovenia and Northern Ireland aren't teams you can just breeze past. 

Yeah, those teams certainly aren't minnows and Italy isn't taking/shouldn't take them lightly but it's not like we're in a group with teams like Spain or Germany. Then we'd really have to worry about finishing second place.

Overall, I think it's an easy group with some hurdles but first place should be ours. I think Slovenia is more of a one hit wonder (2010).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 03:50:30 PM »

I'll take the draw in Belfast especially when Serbia lost 3-1 at home after being up late in the game.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 05:17:37 PM »

I'll take the draw in Belfast especially when Serbia lost 3-1 at home after being up late in the game.

How the mighty have fallen. Cheesy

See the earlier posts as to why they haven't "fallen" by drawing in Belfast.  Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 05:50:16 PM »

Does the French team ever place home games outside of the Stade de France? Try spicing it up a little, guys.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 12:20:09 PM »

Wow. Northern Ireland was lucky to escape with a draw against the Faroe Islands. Even though it was only a tie, that will likely be the best result the Faroe Islands will see throughout qualification.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »

Serbian ultras attack Italian fans before the start of the game so we're in a delay. I doubt that they even play at this point which ought to mean a 3-0 forfeit by Serbia.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 02:34:11 PM »

The game gets underway and the Serbian fans throw a flare onto the field. Unreal. Call the damn game!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 02:39:08 PM »

3-0 per l'Italia!  Cheesy  Bye, Serbia.

...or they might "play later." What a disgrace.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 08:43:57 AM »

I wouldn't exactly be happy with that result if I was a fan of Austria.  Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 09:21:34 AM »

Hm, Estonia loses 0-1 due to an own goal by a Russian? One might almost wonder whether this was an accident Wink

Huh? Estonia isn't in Russia's group.  Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 02:18:21 AM »

Hm, Estonia loses 0-1 due to an own goal by a Russian? One might almost wonder whether this was an accident Wink

Russians in Estonia have not treated very well after 1991, so that's why I suggested (not very seriously) that it might not have been an accident. Of course, if he's a member of their team, he's probably well integrated, so this is very unlikely, but it's still rather ironic.

I don't get which team you're talking about though.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 12:10:11 PM »

Russians in Estonia have not treated very well after 1991, so that's why I suggested (not very seriously) that it might not have been an accident. Of course, if he's a member of their team, he's probably well integrated, so this is very unlikely, but it's still rather ironic.

I don't get which team you're talking about though.

An Estonian player of Russian ancestry/ethnicity scored an own goal.

I figured but I didn't get the point at first. I thought he was saying the Estonian of Russian descent scored an own goal in a game against Russia to spite the Estonians.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2010, 06:34:13 PM »

And yeah, France regularly plays outside of the Stade de France.

Regularly plays outside? Every recent home game I've seen highlights of showed them there.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 12:47:36 AM »

I'm dying without these qualifying matches and it's especially bad for an Azzurri fan since our last game was  suspended due to the Serbian Ultras (though I'm not complaining about an automatic 3-0 victory in our favor). Action starts up in late March but we had some news yesterday about Ukraine possibly being suspended, meaning there would be a new co-host - http://www.worldfootballinsider.com/Story.aspx?id=34112

There have been back up plans in place for awhile. I think I remember reading Hungary and Germany might  host some games if this happens which would be interesting. Of course, the whole tournament should just move to Italy since they were supposed to get it anyway but no, we can't have that. UEFA (and FIFA) have to continue to "make history" instead of picking decent hosts.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 01:46:01 AM »

There have been back up plans in place for awhile. I think I remember reading Hungary and Germany might  host some games if this happens which would be interesting. Of course, the whole tournament should just move to Italy since they were supposed to get it anyway but no, we can't have that.
Bit unfair on Poland?

No, no, no. Poland would still host as well. Germany and Hungary would split the games Ukraine was supposed to host. Not that I'd care if Poland was stripped of their hosting duties, too, especially if it meant more games in Germany. You guys know how to host tournaments. It would also give me a reason to actually visit the country instead of four hour layovers in Munich while en route to Italy.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 03:13:04 AM »

]I was commenting on the "move the whole tournament to Italy" thing. Btw, it's not as if Italy's stadia as of right now would satisfy the UEFA.

Oh, I see. Well, in that case, do you really think I'd care if that was fair or not to another country?  Wink

Yeah, they are in desperate need of renovations but I'm worried about a never ending cycle with this one: every time Italy bids for a tournament, UEFA or FIFA will say the stadia aren't up to par but awarding Italy a tournament seems to be the only thing that will kick the FIGC into gear for stadia renovations. Oh well.  Sad

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That might be the case but some games would still have to be played elsewhere. Platini floated the Germany-Hungary idea last Spring but I don't know if that's actually still on the table.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 03:17:21 AM »

If only a few games would be played outside of Poland, a Poland-Czech Republic tournament would be a good idea but can you get any more "feel good" than Poland-Germany? Everyone can cry and hug each other and all that good stuff. And maybe - just maybe - we could see a good Soccer tournament!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2011, 01:07:30 PM »

Only in America.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2011, 02:43:30 PM »

What better way to pass your summer than watching football among Europe's most beautiful women.

Well, that was my original proposal: move it to Italy where it was supposed to be anyway.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2011, 08:59:38 PM »

What better way to pass your summer than watching football among Europe's most beautiful women.

Well, that was my original proposal: move it to Italy where it was supposed to be anyway.

Nice try but everybody here knows that Italian women can't hold a candle to their Czech and Polish counterparts. Wink

When it comes to looking as masculine as possible? Yeah, point taken.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2011, 11:12:56 PM »

If I wasn't busy watching Italy vs. Germany, I would have loved to have seen...Liechtenstein vs. San Marino.  Tongue  What a thriller that must have been! Liechtenstein won 1-0, by the way.

How about Luxembourg beating Slovakia 2-1? Croatia vs. Czech Republic looked exciting.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 07:48:34 PM »

They're back on June 3rd, 4th and 7th!  Smiley

The only truly big game looks to be Portugal vs. Norway. A Portugal win would put them even at the top with Norway but with Denmark probably beating Iceland the same day, it would mean a three way tie for first. England vs. Switzerland should be somewhat entertaining since England will be fighting to stay atop the group with Montenegro (who ought to win at home against Bulgaria).

Of course, Italy should continue to dominate Group C but that will only be exciting for a few of us.  Wink
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies