politics and sports
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:36:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  politics and sports
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: politics and sports  (Read 1600 times)
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 26, 2010, 02:57:57 AM »

This is a very impressionistic sort of question, but I feel the need to ask it anyway.  To what extent would you say that being an adherent of a political party in the U.S. nowadays is like rooting for one favorite sports team?  The analogy is fairly simple.  We are predominantly not interested in finding really effective solutions to complex problems.  We vaguely pick a political team that conforms to our own overarching ideals, and we are manipulated by political professionals and media into rooting for our team in an unqualified way and keeping score of victories and defeats.  We would no more root for the party normally opposed to our ideals to address a specific problem than we would root for a sports team we don't fancy.  And we view results of legislation like box scores too, winner-take-all.  To what degree do you think U.S. politics has become about spectacle rather than about reality?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 05:07:52 AM »

A large one. Not that the phenomenon is new or limited to the US, of course, though it seems perhaps worst there - which of course is due to the somewhat weird ideological makeup of both parties.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 09:45:22 AM »

To what degree do you think U.S. politics has become about spectacle rather than about reality?

I think you make a good analogy.  I usually use Pepsi versus Coke, because we have just two big parties, whereas if you don't like the Red Sox you could root for the Yankees or any other AL team, so it's not a dichotomy.  But yeah, when it comes down to it, the rooting for D and R isn't unlike the way we root for Yankees over Red Sox or vice-versa, the main difference being that most sports fans usually know something intelligent about their favorite teams (stats, injuries, records, roster, etc.), whereas most voters could maybe tell you who's pitching for the Democrats, but not who's coaching or injured or next in the batting lineup.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 10:43:32 AM »

It's the exact same thing.  The issues matter less and less every election.  And it's not as though we should care about the issues, almost nothing changes between administrations.  It's a cast of opposing characters pulling all sorts of stunts to get people excited and root for them.  It's like a football game, they alternate being on defense and offense.  Right now the Democrats are on defense and they're about to allow a touchdown.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 03:33:28 AM »

I approve of this analogy and can have a lot of fun with it. 

Illegal use of hands.  10 yard penalty. Automatic First down.

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 10:24:06 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLbckGjuYpk
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 11:23:38 AM »
« Edited: September 27, 2010, 09:26:00 PM by Michael Vick »

Haha I love how snobby political nerds are about sports.  As if they're somehow doing something more worthwhile.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 03:39:28 PM »

right now my ranking in terms of interest is: NHL > NFL > NBA > MLB >>>>>> US Politics > UK Politics > EPL > Canadian Politics

Six years ago, it definitely went US Politics > MLB > NFL > NBA > NHL >>>>>>> Canadian Politics > UK Politics > EPL

I mean, how can anyone prefer 2010 US Politics to 2004, 2006, and 2008? The Tea Party is boring, dumb, and ephemeral. We all already know what's going to happen in November. California and Wisconsin are like the only two interesting races....It's just a total snoozefest. 2012 might be fun if Obama loses; 1992 and 1980 were definitely interesting and exciting. Maybe he could pull off an exciting 2004-esque victory but something weird would have to happen. Otherwise, if he wins, it'll probably be another boring season.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 08:20:17 PM »

There are some similarities, but ultimately in politics, one party does not necessarily lose when the other party wins (and visa versa) in terms in policy.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 12:28:49 AM »

right now my ranking in terms of interest is: NHL > NFL > NBA > MLB >>>>>> US Politics > UK Politics > EPL > Canadian Politics

Six years ago, it definitely went US Politics > MLB > NFL > NBA > NHL >>>>>>> Canadian Politics > UK Politics > EPL

While I am happy for the improvement of the NHL on your list, I am disappointed by the dropping of Canadian politics.

This is fun though, I want to do one.

For me...

Curling > Canadian Politics >>>>> NHL > CFL > American Politics >>>>>>> UK Politics/Australia Politics/German/French, etc > MLS > Canadian University Sports >>>> MLB/NBA >>>>> EPL >>>>>> Watching paint dry >>>>> NFL >>>>> US College sports
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 01:29:40 PM »

What? Did you watch games 5-7 of Canadiens-Capitals earlier this year? Or game 7 of Flyers-Bruins? Or the Stanley Cup Finals? The NHL is a million times more exciting than listening to Stephen Harper, Jack Layton, and Michael Ignatieff drone on about meaningless nonsense.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 02:02:43 PM »

No no no no no

NFL>NHL>US Politics>College basketball>College football>other crap, especially boring Canadian crap
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 03:16:09 PM »

right now my ranking in terms of interest is: drunken bitches >>>> NHL > NFL > NBA > MLB >>>>>> US Politics > UK Politics > EPL > Canadian Politics

HAHA THIS BRITISH GIRL I WAS LIKE SUP HOW ABOUT YOUR PRIME MINISTER

AND SHE WAS LIKE OH WANNA TOUCH MY BOOB

AND I WAS LIKE, SH-YAAAAH I WANNA TOUCH YOUR BOOB

THEN WE MADE OUT BUT SHE WASN'T AS HOT AS THIS LATVIAN CHICK
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 03:53:44 PM »

LOL at irrational cynicism.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 04:28:13 PM »

i'm going to start playing a drinking game with tweed's posts.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 08:51:56 PM »

What? Did you watch games 5-7 of Canadiens-Capitals earlier this year? Or game 7 of Flyers-Bruins? Or the Stanley Cup Finals? The NHL is a million times more exciting than listening to Stephen Harper, Jack Layton, and Michael Ignatieff drone on about meaningless nonsense.

I never said Canadian politics was interesting, I just like it a lot more than hockey. Don't get me wrong, I love hockey, but I also love Canadian politics. And it's a lot more than just Steve, Iggy and Dear Leader Jack.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies