A comparison between the US and Germany (as well as Europe in general) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:36:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  A comparison between the US and Germany (as well as Europe in general) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A comparison between the US and Germany (as well as Europe in general)  (Read 2815 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: September 14, 2010, 01:47:17 PM »

Plus, in the US people have more opportunity for upward mobility.

No, no, Europeans have far more of that than americans, States.  You're 30+ years out of date, if you ever had a point.

Dead0man, the reasons life are better where I am are very specific and related to a minority viewpoint and cultural superiority, not material superiority.  Clearly for the vast majority of people, living in German is better even than living in Thailand.  The american case is not very clear compared to middle income Asian countries, but it is clearly vastly inferior to Western Europe.

However I would like to dispute your absurd notion that a few bits and bobbles of technology make 2010 much better than, say, the height of well being in America (1969-1973).  Yes, there are more computers, but they don't really do anything for the worker except enable him to make more money for his  boss ('productivity'), or to simply play games (to make up for the fact that his sex life and social life is so inferior to that of his predecessor).  Mobile phones - nearly useless except to waste time and annoy, their only practical use being 'where are you' while out and about meeting up with people (problem equally well solved in the 1970s era by the checkable answering machine and the neighborhood 'hangout').  Medical technology, mostly useless - only extends life after it isn't worth living anyway (65-70+). 

Yes, a TV cost a little more vis-a-vis things in general, but a car cost far, far less (and was better), houses cost a tiny fraction of what they do now, and pay was much higher.  So, on the whole, 2010 compares very shabbily to the past, and technology doesn't really do anything to counteract this political decline.  The most you can say about technology is it has slightly blunted the misery we face from getting inexorably poorer and running out out of resources.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 02:41:14 PM »

Denmark has a 96% graduation rate. It would be reasonable to assume the Benelux countries and Norway also have such high graduation rates but without the raw data in front of me right now, I don't know. The US has a 70% graduation rate. That could explain their strength in productivity vis a vis the US.

Absolute balderdash - it is a huge assumption to make that those two factors are related.  Productivity has a lot more to do with investment in hardware than in whether someone has graduated from a vague low level education or not - the training to run the machine which creates the high productivity will almost always occur on the job (or anyway should). 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 11:33:43 AM »

Denmark has a 96% graduation rate. It would be reasonable to assume the Benelux countries and Norway also have such high graduation rates but without the raw data in front of me right now, I don't know. The US has a 70% graduation rate. That could explain their strength in productivity vis a vis the US.

Absolute balderdash - it is a huge assumption to make that those two factors are related.  Productivity has a lot more to do with investment in hardware than in whether someone has graduated from a vague low level education or not - the training to run the machine which creates the high productivity will almost always occur on the job (or anyway should). 

The most important part of what you said.

Most US companies are unable or unwilling to retrain workers.

Sure.  I'm saying they should be required to do so. In any case it is precisely the apprenticeship system, coupled with generous pay and time off, that provides a capable, motivated work force for German companies.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 05:49:47 AM »

Sure.  I'm saying they should be required to do so. In any case it is precisely the apprenticeship system, coupled with generous pay and time off, that provides a capable, motivated work force for German companies.

I should have emphasized unable. You can't target one without targeting both. You want an entrenched 10% Unemployment rate? Now we know why you support such a comfortable dole. If you want to improve standards of living from a liberal perspective, the goal should always be to move towards full employement. Everything is so much easier when its 5% and not 10%.

'Unable'?  How absurd.  If the German polity and its corporations are capable of such programs, so is the American. 

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies