Barack the neocon
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:08:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Barack the neocon
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Barack the neocon  (Read 2551 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 06, 2010, 10:32:04 AM »

In my opinion, the term "neocon" has lost its usefulness, and should be retired to the ash heap of history. The thought occurred to me when reading this rather pedestrian and un-arresting article, that takes a few Obama phrases about lofty American intentions, and assumes that it really has some meaning as to specific policies that the neocon's embraced in international affairs back when. I don't think so. Just because you are not isolationist, does not make you a neocon. Beyond that, each foreign policy issue is unique, and yes, yet another instance where grand unified theories are just not very helpful.

What do you think?
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 01:03:28 PM »

The term has been morphed to mean "somebody whose foreign policy views are more hawkish than mine". It really doesn't have much real meaning anymore, having merely becoming a pejorative.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 03:50:54 PM »

Obama was a student of Leo Strauss?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 04:17:43 PM »

Obama was a student of Leo Strauss?

Leo was dead, so I doubt it, unless it was in a seance mode. Cropsy, his acolyte maybe, whom I had as a professor.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 06:30:29 PM »

Barack Obama has been a neocon since at least the time he began running for president, probably going back to 2004.

Most of the people who want to "retire" the term "neocon" are themselves neocons-in-denial.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 06:37:17 PM »

The term has been morphed to mean "somebody whose foreign policy views are more hawkish than mine". It really doesn't have much real meaning anymore, having merely becoming a pejorative.

Exactly.  It's pathetic; the term used to actually mean something, representing a good, legitimate ideology.  Now it's just describing someone liberals/wackjob libertarians don't like.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 06:41:51 PM »

Most of the people who want to "retire" the term "neocon" are themselves neocons-in-denial.

Untrue. Personally, I think it's lost all significant meaning in use, since literally everyone throws it around to describe people they don't like. It's not even a viable way to describe those with insane foreign policy views any more.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 06:44:35 PM »

Exactly.  It's pathetic; the term used to actually mean something, representing a good, legitimate ideology.  Now it's just describing someone liberals/wackjob libertarians don't like.

LOL

Oh, and another example of what I described earlier.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 06:45:40 PM »

LOL

Oh, and another example of what I described earlier.

Of course he'd call insane foreign policy a good idea. Ignore him.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 06:48:12 PM »

Are you implying that the only people with a "legitimate ideology" support an interventionist foreign policy?  Because if so, you've reached the pinnacle of arrogant hackery right there.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 07:07:25 PM »

Untrue. Personally, I think it's lost all significant meaning in use, since literally everyone throws it around to describe people they don't like. It's not even a viable way to describe those with insane foreign policy views any more.

Kind of like "fascist".
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 07:08:44 PM »

Are you implying that the only people with a "legitimate ideology" support an interventionist foreign policy?  Because if so, you've reached the pinnacle of arrogant hackery right there.

Of course, didn't you get Ben's memo? If you don't support nuking all those dirty Moslems, you are an isolationist appeaser who loves Hitler.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 08:35:24 PM »

Not at all.  I'm saying that neoconservativism is a legitimate ideology.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 08:42:54 PM »

Fair enough.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 08:56:05 PM »

I'm not exactly sure what an "illegitimate" ideology would entail.  Neoconism is an idiotic ideology.  An idiotic, legitimate, idiotic ideology.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 09:02:57 PM »

The definition of a neoconservative is a Marxist who thought that the Great Society was too left-wing.

There, debated settled. Please refer back to this post for all future debates and queries regarding that term. Wink
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 09:21:17 PM »

I seem to have opened a Pandora's Box here. Tongue
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 09:41:53 PM »

I'm not exactly sure what an "illegitimate" ideology would entail.  Neoconism is an idiotic ideology.  An idiotic, legitimate, idiotic ideology.

Careful now.  Supporting a non-interventionist foreign policy is tantamount to worshiping Hitler.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 10:11:22 PM »

Careful now.  Supporting a non-interventionist foreign policy is tantamount to worshiping Hitler.

I wouldn't go that far.  You're probably just too embarrassed to admit you masturbate to pictures of Neville Chamberlain.

Sexylicious.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies