Latest Generic Polls: Ras +12%R; WSJ 6%R; Gallup 15%R; CNN 10R; Fox13R; Bloom 3R (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:26:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Latest Generic Polls: Ras +12%R; WSJ 6%R; Gallup 15%R; CNN 10R; Fox13R; Bloom 3R (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Latest Generic Polls: Ras +12%R; WSJ 6%R; Gallup 15%R; CNN 10R; Fox13R; Bloom 3R  (Read 25094 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« on: September 10, 2010, 10:50:35 AM »

Its really amazing that Republicans have gotten such a generic ballot lead.  I remember 1978, where even in the midst of rampant inflation and Carter being more unpopular than Obama, Democrats still held a 15%+ generic ballot lead and most people blamed the inflation on businesses rather than Democrats.

Remember the days when Democrats could actually create a message and make it stick?

Inflation only matters if you have substabtial wealth. Unemployment is a much more severe problem for most people. Comparable elections with high unemployment would be 1974 and 1982.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 06:16:42 PM »

ag, doesn't inflation hit the middle class the hardest?

The poor aren't hit the hardest because they generally live paycheck to paycheck - they have little savings. And during inflation, wages usually rise just as fast as prices. So the net effect on the poor would be nil.

The wealthy, of course, have assets - homes, stocks, land - that all rise in value with inflation. That protects them.

The middle class though, have cash savings which can easily be wiped out by inflation if not invested. Isn't this what happened during hyperinflation in Germany (of course they're not the same thing, but still)?

Also,doesn't inflation hurt creditors at the expense of debtors? The reason being that debt is not indexed to inflation, so over time, it decreases the debt load, where deflation increases it. This is why poor farmers in the American midwest advocated inflationary (or at least anti-deflationary) policies in the late 19th century.

Hardly anybody has substantial cash lying around in the bank, and most people are a paycheck or two away from serious trouble. Short of the crazy, runaway inflation in unstable nations, the worst inflation does to most people is the "OMGZ, I remember when five cents was a lot of money" crap I hear from my dad. 
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 06:03:09 PM »

Memphis, who was president during our last inflationary period and what happened to him?

yeah, inflation is like being in a meat grinder.  it makes almost everyone very angry and feel poorer.  I think Americans would explode is they had to endur a couple of years of 10% inflation.

Inflation is a meat grinder for large sums of money in the bank. Something most people don't have. There is a psychological OMGZ I remember when 5 cents was a a lot of money effect that annoys people (and perceptions are important) but it doesn't really make any practical difference.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies