Most deceptive gerrymander?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:15:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Most deceptive gerrymander?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Most deceptive gerrymander?  (Read 8004 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2010, 10:27:58 PM »

No. Don't get yourself confused by the 2008 map, take a look at 1996 or 2000 instead. Noone was going to consider Boise the Dems' strongest area in 2000.
Boise also happens to be slap bang in the middle of the state and it's difficult to get from the one end to the other except via Boise - there isn't actually a sensible alternative to splitting it (though the exact split might have been done better.)

Not that I know much of the state legislature at the time, but I got the idea from that Boise has a majority of Idaho Democrats in the legislature. There are 35 legislative seats (State House uses the same districts, just elects two reps instead of one Senator), and there are 7 Democrats. Four are from Boise, the remaining ones are from Blaine County, Pocatello and I think the area around Moscow.

If redistricting is non-partisan in Idaho...odd, but I guess shoots down my theory of all of Boise being removed from ID-01 in 2012.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2010, 08:59:47 AM »

No. Don't get yourself confused by the 2008 map, take a look at 1996 or 2000 instead. Noone was going to consider Boise the Dems' strongest area in 2000.
Boise also happens to be slap bang in the middle of the state and it's difficult to get from the one end to the other except via Boise - there isn't actually a sensible alternative to splitting it (though the exact split might have been done better.)

Not that I know much of the state legislature at the time, but I got the idea from that Boise has a majority of Idaho Democrats in the legislature. There are 35 legislative seats (State House uses the same districts, just elects two reps instead of one Senator), and there are 7 Democrats. Four are from Boise, the remaining ones are from Blaine County, Pocatello and I think the area around Moscow.

If redistricting is non-partisan in Idaho...odd, but I guess shoots down my theory of all of Boise being removed from ID-01 in 2012.

All Boise Democratic state legislators already represent parts of the 2nd Congressional District anyway, excluding a couple of tiny slivers that poke over. http://legislature.idaho.gov/about/07districtmap.pdf (you can click on each district to link to their legislators).
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies