US House Redistricting: Ohio
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:43:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Ohio
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 37
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Ohio  (Read 136366 times)
Guderian

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: September 14, 2011, 12:49:17 PM »

This is a very smart map. Preserves the 2010 gains and it will spare the world of Dennis Kucinich.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #551 on: September 14, 2011, 12:52:05 PM »

This is a very smart map. Preserves the 2010 gains and it will spare the world of Dennis Kucinich.

But the thing is it looks like they are trying to keep Kucinich. He has more current territory in the new OH-10 than Kaptur and even more of it is in the Cleveland media market. I was expecting that if they drew a Toledo to Cleveland seat (not that I wanted them to) it would be more Toledo than Cleveland, not this thing.
Guderian

« Reply #552 on: September 14, 2011, 12:55:26 PM »

But the thing is it looks like they are trying to keep Kucinich. He has more current territory in the new OH-10 than Kaptur and even more of it is in the Cleveland media market. I was expecting that if they drew a Toledo to Cleveland seat (not that I wanted them to) it would be more Toledo than Cleveland, not this thing.

Kucinich will lose to Kaptur. No way Dems keep that moron and lose a non-crazy liberal in good standing.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #553 on: September 14, 2011, 12:59:22 PM »

Maybe they just wanted Kucinich to feel confident enough to make a destructive primary run against Kaptur instead of fading away.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #554 on: September 14, 2011, 07:08:51 PM »

They chopped off about half the city. My map is only a crude approximation because they split a bunch of precincts, but I did make the populations right to within a precinct or two. They split off precincts where McCain was in the 20s. The only reason I can see why they left most of that western wedge was because Kaptur lives there.

Oh my! The Pubbies in Ohio must all be taking testosterone shots in even larger doses than I am, and I cheat on my dosage as it is.  Tongue
lowtech redneck
« Reply #555 on: September 15, 2011, 12:54:50 AM »

It just seems like it's convoluted for the sake of being convoluted.

Yeah...I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect this map may just end up hurting them with republican-leaning and Republican-trending Independents, canceling out any marginal gains from such an unnecessarily covoluted map.  The NC Republicans and Illinois Democrats can probably get away with their monstronsities better than political parties in a long-time swing-state like Ohio.  Then again, their Republican neighbors in Democratic-leaning Pennsylvania didn't seem to suffer a noticable backlash....
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #556 on: September 15, 2011, 11:12:31 AM »

They chopped off about half the city. My map is only a crude approximation because they split a bunch of precincts, but I did make the populations right to within a precinct or two. They split off precincts where McCain was in the 20s. The only reason I can see why they left most of that western wedge was because Kaptur lives there.

Oh my! The Pubbies in Ohio must all be taking testosterone shots in even larger doses than I am, and I cheat on my dosage as it is.  Tongue
No, it's just that the votes to eliminate two Northeast Democrats and keep Renacci and Gibbs alive just aren't there... but Latta and Jordan (is that Jordan?) could take a ream of extra Democrats. So they (sort of; technically) eliminated Kaptur's and Sutton's districts. Of course, they still had to concede a Columbus seat, and eliminate a southern Republican as a result.
Their map is actually "tamer" than what you envisaged, but more realistic, more imaginative and just as evil.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #557 on: September 15, 2011, 11:28:18 AM »

I am also considering trying to draw one that packs Columbus and cracks Toledo.

Hmm...that might actually make more sense than cracking Columbus if you look at the trends. I just don't know whether there is enough population there. You would probably need to crack a bunch of democratic cities along the lake as well as parts of Cuyahoga I am guessing. But since the district needs to last ten years, it might be the safer option.
Ah, this was the comment I was thinking of (though it compares Toledo with Columbus rather than the Northeast). TJ gets the price I mentioned some posts back.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #558 on: September 15, 2011, 03:05:05 PM »

The main reason why they needed to split Toledo like that is because they put more of Akron into OH-11 than our maps on this site had expected. We were more or less assuming they would just throw in a slice of Akron to get to 50.1% VAP black -- and no more. They decided instead to put a considerable portion of Akron into OH-11 and drew OH-9 into more of the west side of Cleveland. This results in having a less-packed OH-13 and an ugly OH-9.

I still don't understand some of the decisions they made in drawing OH-9. For instance, if they just included Benton Township in Ottawa County (~55% Obama and only about 2,000 people) it would be contiguous by road. They also could have peeled off a decent slice of Erie County and Lorain County that is way more marginal than many of the Toledo precincts they put into OH-4 and 5. We're probably talking 30,000-40,000 people in areas 50-55% Obama.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #559 on: September 15, 2011, 03:26:55 PM »

The main reason why they needed to split Toledo like that is because they put more of Akron into OH-11 than our maps on this site had expected. We were more or less assuming they would just throw in a slice of Akron to get to 50.1% VAP black -- and no more. They decided instead to put a considerable portion of Akron into OH-11 and drew OH-9 into more of the west side of Cleveland. This results in having a less-packed OH-13 and an ugly OH-9.

I still don't understand some of the decisions they made in drawing OH-9. For instance, if they just included Benton Township in Ottawa County (~55% Obama and only about 2,000 people) it would be contiguous by road. They also could have peeled off a decent slice of Erie County and Lorain County that is way more marginal than many of the Toledo precincts they put into OH-4 and 5. We're probably talking 30,000-40,000 people in areas 50-55% Obama.

That was a bit of it, but it was more that the bridge used from Cleveland to Akron was so populous, and oddly enough, so GOP. Bath is prime GOP country. Quite nutter actually. It makes no sense at all. LaTourette could have found his few extra pubbies elsewhere. And part of it is the obsession to keep townships whole I guess, while the rest of the map is a mess.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #560 on: September 15, 2011, 03:29:18 PM »

The main reason why they needed to split Toledo like that is because they put more of Akron into OH-11 than our maps on this site had expected.
No, I don't really think so. It's the other way round - this way, they have about 2.6 Democratic districts in the northeast left (counting Lorain as northeast since it used to be in Sutton's district.) What goes where there is not so very relevant.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Might just be carelessness (earlier drafts might have been working on similar premises to ours and this might be a holdover) - or preconceived, but not necessarily wrong, notions about how these people vote in congressional elections and who has the better organization there. These things happen all the time in even the most detailed gerrymanders. Occasionally, as in the last PA map or in the southern Democratic maps of 1992, they get overdone ridiculously.
That was a bit of it, but it was more that the bridge used from Cleveland to Akron was so populous, and oddly enough, so GOP. Bath is prime GOP country.
Ah. Now that is odd.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #561 on: September 15, 2011, 04:12:26 PM »

Map apparently passed the House.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #562 on: September 15, 2011, 05:20:05 PM »

Aren't they embarrassed?
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #563 on: September 15, 2011, 07:10:23 PM »

These are Ohio House Republicans we're talking about here. They have no shame.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #564 on: September 15, 2011, 07:37:59 PM »

You aren't very familiar with American politics are you?  Tongue
dpmapper
« Reply #565 on: September 15, 2011, 09:25:29 PM »

Man, this would be so much better.  OH14 is now a McCain district again (by 322 votes, but still...), OH16's McCain percentage is up 1.3% to 51.9%, and OH07 is up .6% to 52.0% (there's an arm from OH13 that takes most of Canton).  Medina stays whole, Portage is only split once... what's not to like? 
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #566 on: September 17, 2011, 06:18:00 PM »

Yeah...I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect this map may just end up hurting them with republican-leaning and Republican-trending Independents, canceling out any marginal gains from such an unnecessarily covoluted map.  The NC Republicans and Illinois Democrats can probably get away with their monstronsities better than political parties in a long-time swing-state like Ohio.  Then again, their Republican neighbors in Democratic-leaning Pennsylvania didn't seem to suffer a noticable backlash....

On this front, after reading the comments section on the Cleveland newspaper's website, the outcry isn't half bad. The public seems unable to distinguish between tame gerrymander and this monstrosity. It doesn't seem any different really than the response in the Millwaukee paper after the Wisconsin map was released and the Republicans did their weak gerrymander there.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #567 on: September 20, 2011, 03:07:29 AM »

This plan is based on minimizing county and city splits, maintaining communities of interest, and to be reasonably compact and limited to major demographic areas of the state.  It was drawn without reference to political parties, current districts, or incumbents.

There are significant county splits in only the three larger counties.  The others are split only for better population equality.  Before those splits only 4 districts had deviation greater than 0.5%, and the worst was 1.1% short.

In northeastern Ohio, only Cuyahoga County has a significant split.  Cleveland and the eastern suburbs form a district that is entirely in the county, and has a 47% BVAP.  Most of the rest of the western and southern parts of the county are in a district that included Medina and Wayne counties.  A district barely comes into the county from the west to include Bay Village and part of Westlake.  A Summit-Portage district takes just enough to get up to the ideal population, while a northeastern district takes in the eastern tier of township.

In Cuyahoga County, only Solon and Westlake are split for purposes of population balance.

In Franklin County, the central district is based on Columbus along with enclaves like Bexley, Whitehall and Upper Arlington, with the extreme tentacles of Columbus chopped off.  About 80% of Columbus is included in the district.   Besides Columbus, only Prairie Township is significantly split.  Prairie has a significant residential enclave surrounded by Columbus and a less developed area on the outer edge of county.  It didn't make sense to extend the Columbus district to the western edge county, or to try to free up the enclave.

There are dozens of small enclaves of Columbus that results in minimal splits of those townships, with perhaps 2000 persons.

In southwestern Ohio, most of Hamilton County including Cincinnati makes up one district.  About 80,000 persons in the extreme eastern part along with Clermont County make up about 40% of a district, with 60% in counties to the east including along the Ohio River.  Butler and Warren make up most of a northern suburban district and including somewhat distinct cities such as Hamilton, Middletown, and Lebanon.  Montgomery and Greene form a Dayton based district, while Clark and Miami are part of Springfield a appendage that extend to the Columbus area.   Southwestern Ohio can support about 4 districts.  But to keep them in the area would mean splitting the Dayton district, or having a district wrap around from the Cincinnati suburbs to Springfield.  Having two districts extending outside of the area seems the better solution.

The only split city is Montgomery, with one precinct moved to Cincinnati district.

jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #568 on: September 20, 2011, 04:01:46 AM »

This is my variant to create a 51% BVAP district in Cuyahoga and Summit Counties.

It adds the 3 Black majority wards in Akron (63% BVAP)

In exchange for 2 wards and 3 precincts in south Cleveland (10% BVAP), avoiding wards west of downtown along the lakefront that are around 20% BVAP.

The odd shape of the Cleveland area is due to the ward configuration.  The long arm coming down from the north is Ward 3 which extends all the way to the lake.  They must have needed some more population.

And the arm extending up on the right is all in one precinct in an area along the Cuyahoga.  The upper 4/5 of the precinct are uninhabited, including that odd triangular area at the tip.  So it is actually really quite reasonable.

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #569 on: September 22, 2011, 05:02:58 PM »

Stivers really wants the banks in downtown Columbus.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #570 on: September 22, 2011, 05:21:16 PM »

That's where he lives dude - right at the base of that spike to the south - where "the banks" are.  Tongue

He lives in just a charming little house actually. I want it!  It is my kind of neighborhood - it's old just like me! 
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #571 on: September 22, 2011, 05:52:38 PM »

He's on the Financial Services Committee, the way the district is drawn around Columbus has a lot to do with that.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #572 on: September 22, 2011, 06:01:15 PM »

That's where he lives dude - right at the base of that spike to the south - where "the banks" are.  Tongue

He lives in just a charming little house actually. I want it!  It is my kind of neighborhood - it's old just like me! 

Hmm, I thought he lives in Upper Arlington.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #573 on: September 22, 2011, 09:33:40 PM »

Nope, I pulled his deed when I did my Columbus chop. Lawyers can do that. We're special. Smiley
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #574 on: September 23, 2011, 12:18:52 AM »

Nope, I pulled his deed when I did my Columbus chop. Lawyers can do that. We're special. Smiley

Several local news articles have reported that he moved to Upper Arlington recently.  For good measure, I checked his wikipedia page and it lists his residence as UA as well.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies