US House Redistricting: Ohio (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:08:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Ohio (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Ohio  (Read 136566 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« on: March 09, 2011, 03:58:14 PM »

The only way to keep OH 11 majority black is to attach inner-city Akron to it via I-77 or the Cuyahoga River. No matter what you do, you will have to append some white areas to it because the 11th is so badly underpopulated. Once the census comes out, draw the 11th into Akron to get 50% + 1 VAP black and still absorb as much of the West side as possible. You should be able to get all of Cleveland except the 18th and 19th wards, which are only about 55% Obama. The Akron connection would be erose, but you have to do that to get to 50% + 1 anyways. There aren't enough black people just in Cuyahoga County for an entire district. The 10th is overwhelmingly white, but so are the surrounding parts of the 13th and 14th. The 11th needs so many people that it's hard to imagine it not picking up more of the west side.

The numbers came out today.  Cuyahoga has 380,198 African-Americans before taking into account Hispanic status.  Summit has another 78,120.

Every CD should have around 721,000 residents, meaning 360,500+ is needed for a majority.  If you could capture all of Cuyahoga's blacks, you'd be at 52.7% - before taking into account VAP.  I'd have to download the whole census file to get the county's VAP, but the African-American VAP percentage is almost certainly lower than that - possibly even less than a majority.

So, yes, appending Summit will likely be necessary to create an effective African-American district in Northeast Ohio.  I doubt you'd be able to capture every Cuyahoga County African-American even if you tried - and the county is entitled to about 1.8 of Ohio's 16 CDs.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 09:50:15 PM »

The population drop in the Dem zone outside of Columbus is really, really shocking - considerably more disastrous than in Michigan.

Michigan's redistricting data hasn't been released.  We'll get it next week, at the earliest.  Unlike Ohio, Michigan lost population.  Detroit's population loss might just outpace Cleveland's.  I wouldn't rule it out - many of the 2009 estimates have had large errors, especially in urban areas.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies