US House Redistricting: Ohio (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:04:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Ohio (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Ohio  (Read 136548 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: March 08, 2011, 06:05:29 PM »

As a resident of Columbus, I think it needs its own seat. Especially with all the population growth that we've had in comparison with the rest of the state. The city itself isn't failing like Cincinnati or especially Cleveland. We have a booming African immigrant population that's keeping our numbers up. Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Louisville all have seats that are centered around that downtown area. Columbus should too. I think it would actually benefit the Republicans to cut off Stivers as it takes two marginal districts that could both flip with the right candidates probably even after redistricting and just make one very safe district. Along with the slivering up they're going to do to Cuyahoga and the surrounding area, it just makes sense.

Mayor Coleman would be a solid candidate for a Columbus seat...
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 09:46:27 AM »

A 13-3 map is going to end badly, I just know it. If the pubbies go full gerrymander like Torie's map, they might be able to just hold on, but I doubt it will be that efficient. Probably too many disparate interests to make a precise map like the one Tories is drawing to be practical. And it really needs to be that perfect to have a chance of holding, and even then it's not guaranteed.

Agreed. It doesn't matter how gerrymandered the state is, 13-3 just won't work. It'll be 10-6 or 9-7 by 2014. If they make a 12-4 map now they can keep it all decade if done right.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 01:07:47 AM »

A Kaptur vs. Kucinich race would be amazing. The longest serving woman in the house vs. Dennis Kucinich (One of my least favorite Democrats in the house, despite the fact that I agree with him on a WHOLE lot). Kaptur would have Toledo locked and Kucinich would obviously have certain parts of Cuyahogo locked but that race would be a very interesting one for this state.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 10:18:52 PM »

Wow, you did a number on my city. If the state adopts it, I will love to hate that map for eternity. Gotta commend you on that Torie, it's amazing work. You must've put days upon days into just Columbus.

I think I'm still in Tiberi's district.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 08:29:26 PM »

Wow, you did a number on my city. If the state adopts it, I will love to hate that map for eternity. Gotta commend you on that Torie, it's amazing work. You must've put days upon days into just Columbus.

I think I'm still in Tiberi's district.

I haven't drawn his CD yet!  Smiley But if you live east of the line which you can draw north and south of the western terminus of Genoa township in Delaware County, you will be in OH-12. Of that much I am sure.

Thanks for the kind words btw. I am proud of all my maps, but proudest of this one, because it took the most creativity and thought, and I did it carefully from step one based on my experience (and missteps) in drawing prior maps. One needs a plan, and one needs to know the numbers, or one will just go into the ditch, and produce garbage really.

Very welcome. I'm working on a map as we speak that's 12-4 GOP adding a Columbus district. Nowhere near as difficult as a 13-3 map, of course, but I'm trying to make all GOP districts incredibly solid, so even a Dem version of 2010 or 1994 couldn't flip them...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies