Casey vs. Santorum?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:40:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Casey vs. Santorum?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Casey vs. Santorum?  (Read 9255 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 07, 2004, 08:10:33 PM »

I have dismissed this idea so many times. Everyone in PA knows our new State Treasurer, conservative Dem Bob Casey, Jr., wants to be Governor some day but there seems to be talk about a Draft Casey for Senate campaign. I'll be the first to admit that while I am a Santorum supporter, a Casey challenge will be a tough fight for Pennsylvania's Junior Senator. Here are a few excerpts from the article....

GRASSROOTSPA EXCLUSIVE: CASEY TO RUN FOR SENATE AGAINST SANTORUM?!?

Multiple high ranking sources all around the state of Pennsylvania and in Washington DC are buzzing with speculation that popular Pennsylvania Democrat Bob Casey Jr. is considering a run for US Senate against Pennsylvania Republican Senator Rick Santorum.

The highest ranking Pennsylvania Conservatives Democrat vs. the highest ranking Pennsylvania Conservative Republican?

According to the Associated Press, last Tuesday Bob Casey Jr. received the most votes in Pennsylvania history in his race for State Treasurer. The rumor that Casey might challenge Santorum has swirled through various political circles and even made Pennsylvania talk radio stations this week.

Bill Green, a respected Pennsylvania political consultant, calls the Casey/Santorum rumor "bogus" and does not think it is even worth considering. "Why would the Democrats make the same mistake they made with Klink?" asks Green. "If I was looking for the Democrat candidate I would look for the John Edwards" millionaire trial-lawyer of Pennsylvania. Green argues that "Casey's ultimate goal is to Governor, nothing more nothing less."

While Green argues the rumor is baseless, a well-known Pennsylvania pro-life leader claims that there is some sort of draft Casey for Senate movement in the works...

For the whole article (Posted November 6th), check out http://grassrootspa.com 
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 09:08:20 PM »

As you and others have pointed out, Casey won't be nominated because Democrats biggest beef with Santorum is on abortion, so liberals will pour in money for a pro-choice candidate, not Casey.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 09:16:49 PM »

As you and others have pointed out, Casey won't be nominated because Democrats biggest beef with Santorum is on abortion, so liberals will pour in money for a pro-choice candidate, not Casey.

I agree.  The Democrats need to be ENERGIZED on this one.  Labor along with the Starbucks liberals need to be united on this.  Sure picking a Hoeffel will take some working class conservative Dems away, but we need the Society Hill/Manayunk/Montgomery County liberals behind someone and get a good portion of Northeast Philly/South Philly/Anthracite Country/Steel Valley labor behind the same candidate.  Granted Bob Casey would unanimously get the latter but alienate the Society Hill liberals.  A Hoeffel would only take out a small fraction of conservative Dems to Santorum.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 11:02:38 PM »

I think, like most candidates of christmas past, Hoeffel will fade into the darkness.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 01:55:08 AM »

Do you think there would be a 3rd party candidate?  Perhaps the Baby Killer Party would be formed.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 03:17:13 AM »

Do you think there would be a 3rd party candidate?  Perhaps the Baby Killer Party would be formed.
BITE ME!
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 11:57:56 AM »

No, our biggest beef with Santorum is over his view that you have no right to privacy and that homosexuality is equivalent to bestiality.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 12:26:18 PM »

No, our biggest beef with Santorum is over his view that you have no right to privacy and that homosexuality is equivalent to bestiality.
Liberals would not vote Santorum over a pro-Life Democrat in the general...but a pro-life Dem would certainly have trouble winning the primary unless the opposition were very much divided.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 02:57:40 PM »

It depends on who the "pro-life" candidate is.  PA Dems (especially in WPA) would easily accept a pro-life Dem if they believed he could unseat Santorum.

I agree with the general wisdom that a Bob Casey Jr run is unlikely, but if he did run he would win.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2004, 05:01:10 PM »

I think everyone's missing the point here. My point was that it was once highly unlikely Casey would run. Now that there might be a Draft Casey effort, the chances increase. Would he win the primary if he ran? No. Sure he's a popular guy but as I said earlier (and others have stated this too) the pro choice groups will give tons of money to a pro choice candidate. But a possible Casey candidacy does make things very, very interesting. Let's see what happens.
DarthKosh

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2004, 01:22:38 PM »

It depends on who the "pro-life" candidate is.  PA Dems (especially in WPA) would easily accept a pro-life Dem if they believed he could unseat Santorum.

I agree with the general wisdom that a Bob Casey Jr run is unlikely, but if he did run he would win.

Casey want to be the Gov like his father.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies