MN: Survey USA: Dayton & Emmer basically tied, Horner surging
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:24:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  2010 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  MN: Survey USA: Dayton & Emmer basically tied, Horner surging
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MN: Survey USA: Dayton & Emmer basically tied, Horner surging  (Read 1445 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 16, 2010, 12:09:50 AM »

New Poll: Minnesota Governor by Survey USA on 2010-09-15

Summary: D: 38%, R: 36%, I: 18%, U: 4%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details

Dgov
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 12:14:43 AM »

Another SUSA Poll showing the Republican winning big with the Young (46-30 vs 36-38 Statewide).  Either them or PPP is wrong in that regard, but I'm leaning towards SUSA given that this is yet another poll showing the Republicans running even or close with the Black vote.

Also, Emmer's winning in the Twin Cities but Losing in Southern MN, which also seems very odd.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 12:58:33 AM »

Given that this is Minnesota we are talking about, the breakdown of the black vote in polling is far too small to be read into statistically. SUSA is developing something of a pattern of showing Republican-friendly results this cycle, though. My guess is Dayton +6 at this point, though I'm not at all sure of that.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 02:21:16 AM »

Given that this is Minnesota we are talking about, the breakdown of the black vote in polling is far too small to be read into statistically. SUSA is developing something of a pattern of showing Republican-friendly results this cycle, though. My guess is Dayton +6 at this point, though I'm not at all sure of that.

I know that it's far too small a sample to be statistically significant, but we're talking about a Demographic that went like 95% for the Democrats last cycle, going almost 50/50 in this one.  That kind of shift (Especially in multiple, consecutive polls) cannot adequately be explained soley by statistical error.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 03:10:58 AM »

I know that it's far too small a sample to be statistically significant, but we're talking about a Demographic that went like 95% for the Democrats last cycle, going almost 50/50 in this one.  That kind of shift (Especially in multiple, consecutive polls) cannot adequately be explained soley by statistical error.

Point taken, it shouldn't deviate by more than 10% from the true spread (if the true spread were 50-50, the permissible for a 95% confidence value would be in the realm of 22% in either direction). That is, if I remember my statistics well, which I probably don't.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 04:02:43 AM »

Damn, and I thought this one was pretty much wrapped up.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 06:45:13 AM »

SUSA historically leans Republican in Minnesota. Something about their methodology, it might be because they don't catch voters who register on election day.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 07:10:59 AM »

This one will likely be decided by the size of the GOP wave.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 08:22:48 AM »

Another SUSA Poll showing the Republican winning big with the Young (46-30 vs 36-38 Statewide).  Either them or PPP is wrong in that regard, but I'm leaning towards SUSA given that this is yet another poll showing the Republicans running even or close with the Black vote.

Also, Emmer's winning in the Twin Cities but Losing in Southern MN, which also seems very odd.

STOP LOOKING AT CROSSTABS
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 08:39:53 AM »

Yes, we need a forum wide education on this.

Crosstabs that involve the whole sample (i.e., what proportion of the sample is R, D, and I) are valid and worth looking at for curiosity sake and poll validation. Crosstabs that involve part of the sample (i.e., what proportion of the sample's Republicans are voting for x) are notably less accurate because they carry a higher margin of error, but may still carry some valuable information. Crosstabs that involve a tiny (<[/u ]10%) part of the sample (groups like "aged 18-29" and "black voters") have a gigantic margin of error and are not worth looking at for serious statistical purposes.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 09:13:12 AM »

SUSA historically leans Republican in Minnesota. Something about their methodology, it might be because they don't catch voters who register on election day.

Basically. Their last poll in 2008 only had Obama up by 3.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 11:41:01 AM »

Basically. Their last poll in 2008 only had Obama up by 3.

You are just worried that all of your Minnesota gerrymandering fantasies might come to naught. Tongue
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 12:15:19 PM »

When push comes to shove, a good chunk of Horner's supporters will vote for Dayton. No one wants a Governor Emmer.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 06:47:18 PM »

>95% Democrat? Oh really? I will play along with this silly little game... Let us compare SUSA's last MN poll for President, where blacks voted:

9 Obama (60%)
6 McCain (40%)

SUSA's last MN Senate poll showed blacks voting:

7 Franken (47%)
5 Coleman (33%)
1 Barkley (7%)
1 Undecided (7%)

Some shift!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length