Election results for write-in candidates?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:04:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Election results for write-in candidates?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Election results for write-in candidates?  (Read 1708 times)
krem1234
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 09, 2004, 09:47:32 PM »

Hi - does anyone know where I can find the election results for the write-in candidates (for NY, specifically) - as far as I can see on this site there is a category for write-in candidates under the national results but it doesn't list the individual candidates and how many votes they got.
thanks, dave k
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 03:24:18 AM »

Hi - does anyone know where I can find the election results for the write-in candidates (for NY, specifically) - as far as I can see on this site there is a category for write-in candidates under the national results but it doesn't list the individual candidates and how many votes they got.
thanks, dave k
I looked at NY Board of Elections web site, but it says they won't have election results untill after the official canvass in December.  But I also looked at the 2000 results and they had two "Official write-in candidates" each of who were listed with 0 (zero) votes.

How (and whether) write-in votes are counted depends on the election laws of each state.  In Texas, write-in candidates must file as such before the election.  The names of the write-in candidates do not appear on the ballot, but there is a list of these candidates and the office they seek posted at each polling place.  Write-in votes for a candidate who has not filed are not considered to be valid votes, and are not counted.

In Texas in 2004, only 3 presidential candidates qualified for ballot access (Bush, Kerry, and Badnarik).  Nader, Cobb, Peroutka, and Brown were write-in candidates.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies