Do liberals deserve what they get?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:38:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Do liberals deserve what they get?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Do liberals deserve what they get?  (Read 8867 times)
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2004, 01:21:35 AM »

I don't know a single person who inherited big wealth. I do know a lot of people who earned it, however.

I don't know how Bush won...I don't know anyone who voted for him!
Shira

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2004, 01:27:04 AM »
« Edited: November 09, 2004, 01:29:52 AM by Shira »

I don't even I can come up with a list of 20 millionaires I know personally. 

If you don't personally know, try to look into public figures ( Bush, Kerry, Kennedy, Rockefeller, Cheney etc.)

BTW: Bill Clinton does belong to the very small but famous group of "self made people". The people are famous because they are the rare exception but the group is tiny.
Shira

« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2004, 01:35:53 AM »

I don't know a single person who inherited big wealth. I do know a lot of people who earned it, however.

I would recommend to you to  read the messages in this thread. The mindsets of these people are very interesting.
bushforever
bushwillwin

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2004, 01:38:18 AM »

I don't even I can come up with a list of 20 millionaires I know personally. 

If you don't personally know, try to look into public figures ( Bush, Kerry, Kennedy, Rockefeller, Cheney etc.)

BTW: Bill Clinton does belong to the very small but famous group of "self made people". The people are famous because they are the rare exception but the group is tiny.

You can't really go into famous people.  Most famous people are rich one way or another, no doubt.  But it really says something if you actually personally know a millionaire and if those millionaires are self-made or heirs.  In addition, even those who are heirs and are famous (Kerry, Bush, etc.) have worked hard in their life doing something.  Sure, it's not drilling concrete, but I don't think the average joe could go out on a political campaign while at the same time making hard decisions regarding war and moral issues in America.  Prior to politics, Kerry worked hard in Vietnam and Bush was an avid businessman.  Life wasn't completely handed to them on silver platters.
Shira

« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2004, 01:44:08 AM »

Life wasn't completely handed to them on silver platters.

Wrong.

Life was completely handed to them on silver platters.
bushforever
bushwillwin

« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2004, 01:50:08 AM »

Wrong.

Not really.  Very few people have life handed to them on silver platters.  Sure, they may have been some extraordinary circumstances.  Being the son of a president.  Being married to the ketchup lady.  But they could have given up.  They could have not tried.  They could have failed miserably on the campaign trail.  Explain your reasoning.  Or at least your definition of life handed to someone on a silver platter. 
Shira

« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2004, 01:54:53 AM »
« Edited: November 09, 2004, 02:03:20 AM by Shira »

Wrong.

Not really.  Very few people have life handed to them on silver platters.  Sure, they may have been some extraordinary circumstances.  Being the son of a president.  Being married to the ketchup lady.  But they could have given up.  They could have not tried.  They could have failed miserably on the campaign trail.  Explain your reasoning.  Or at least your definition of life handed to someone on a silver platter. 

The Bush family was very rich long long before H.W Bush became president. Barbara's family also was very rich for generations.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2004, 05:12:58 AM »
« Edited: November 09, 2004, 05:14:50 AM by opebo »

Not many Americans, whether in the ghetto or on main street are in true deep deep poverty meaning they have 0$. Even the poorest Americans own at least one television or vehicle.

A TV has no bearing on poverty - you can get a used one free out of the garbage, and a new one for like $100.  And no, many do not own a vehicle.  But one can still be desperately poor and own a 10 year old beater.  Poverty is more about one's place in the social structure than whether one has this or that.   

It makes more sense to look at income - if your income is less than say $20,000 per family member you're awfully poor.  Double that in the economically viable states.  And don't even get me started on the issue of ability to advance in society!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2004, 05:22:06 AM »

Wrong.

Shira is exactly right - live was handed to all the Bushes, and all the people like them, on a silver platter.  It is amazing to me that anyone can deny America has an aristocracy (admittedly a shabby, honorless one).

On the other hand, I do know a lot of very elderly people with a couple million dollars who got it at least partially through their own efforts.  A million or three is not  much nowadays, and a workaholic miser can sometimes accumulate it through a life of misery.  Or for that matter just owning a good house in the right area can put you part of the way into that sort of 'minimally rich' class.  My own family more or less in this class, and believe me, its not all that impressive.

But when we speak of the class which controlls this country and recieves the life on a silver platter, they most definitely did not get where they are through their own efforts.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2004, 01:24:02 PM »

I'm going to point out that neith Bush or Kerry were born into a "superrich" family.  Well off, yes, but not on the levels of the Mellons, Duponts, Annenburgs (now), Gates (now), Waltons (now), Rockefellers, or Kennedys.  Where they lower upper class or upper middle class, in terms of wealth?  Yes, but they were not people were even in the top levels of wealth.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2004, 01:52:58 PM »

I was responding to Shira, who asked about the rich people I know. Taken in context, this post of yours makes no sense whatsoever.
Shira

« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2004, 06:06:50 PM »

America loves the Henri Ford story of a poor who became rich.
The matter of the fact is that millions of people did exactly what H.Ford  had done, but they never became H.Ford  and no one know their names. These people are the vast majority, while the Fords are the tiny-but-famous minority.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2004, 09:21:42 PM »

The matter of the fact is that millions of people did exactly what H.Ford  had done, but they never became H.Ford  and no one know their names. These people are the vast majority, while the Fords are the tiny-but-famous minority.

What makes you thing that to be successful, you must be a millionaire.  Millions of people, at some point in their lives have very little, but prosper.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2004, 09:36:28 PM »

Shira,

My family came over here dirt poor. Although we aren't millionaires we have improved our lifes tenfold as compared to what life was like in the various countries my family came from. (Austria, Palestine, Lebanon, Ireland)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2004, 09:37:37 PM »

My parents (and their parents) were poor, and now they're semi-rich.
Brutus
Rookie

« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2004, 09:45:06 PM »

I'm going to point out that neith Bush or Kerry were born into a "superrich" family.  Well off, yes, but not on the levels of the Mellons, Duponts, Annenburgs (now), Gates (now), Waltons (now), Rockefellers, or Kennedys.  Where they lower upper class or upper middle class, in terms of wealth?  Yes, but they were not people were even in the top levels of wealth.

Not superrich but certainly "old money" and well-connected.  W's granddaddy Prescott was a US Senator.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2004, 09:48:50 PM »

Not superrich but certainly "old money" and well-connected.  W's granddaddy Prescott was a US Senator.

Very few of our presidents haven't come from old money.
bushforever
bushwillwin

« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2004, 10:01:53 PM »

Even if Bush and his dad were born into a semi-rich family doesn't mean that they had life handed to them on a silver platter.  I'm sure Bush and Kerry both worked hard in everything they did and were raised that way.  There are rich people who get anything they want and are very spoiled.  I don't think they were like that.  You don't become president by being a spoiled cry baby.  No one does.  Bush and Kerry both had to work hard to court voters and convince people in their policies.  Sure, they probably had a few advice from their parents in their lives and a little guidance, but not full-fledged silver platter.

By the way, I'm not rich.  But my parents worked hard.  They didn't get a college degree, but they work hard at their jobs and encourage their kids to work hard.  Me and my siblings have/will get a college degree and a job we enjoy, our parents giving us nothing but love and encouragement.  Isn't that the American dream...raising hardworking kids who achieve more than you did??  And hasn't W. Bush and Kerry accomplished more than their parent's did.  I'd say so.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2004, 12:16:06 AM »

They were well connected because someone a few years back became politically active.  Truman, Nixon, and Ford, and didn't come from well connected families.  I think that it was Clinton's mother who became politically well connected; they never had a lot of money.

It isn't that hard to become "well connected," just start volunteering for the party of your choice.  I became, at one point, very well connected and have no money to show for it.

Don't confuse wealth with power.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies