How do you stop the filming of the Oregon Dem governor at public campaign event?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:41:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  How do you stop the filming of the Oregon Dem governor at public campaign event?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How do you stop the filming of the Oregon Dem governor at public campaign event?  (Read 1381 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 25, 2010, 01:06:49 PM »

The answer of course is pugilism.  Hopefully charges will be brought.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 01:40:43 PM »

Come on, not another of these sketchy edited videos of anonymous provenance.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 01:45:03 PM »

You think something was edited out which excused the dude for punching the guy filming in the nose? 
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 01:51:00 PM »

You think something was edited out which excused the dude for punching the guy filming in the nose? 

No, if the guy was actually punched there's no excuse, but as far as I can tell after two watches, the video is consistent with nobody punching anybody, but the guy getting accidentally hit with his own camera as the security guy (a bit aggressively, I grant) tries to confiscate it.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 01:52:47 PM »

I see someone grabbing his camera.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 02:05:40 PM »

The dude shoved the camera into the filmer's face it appears. I would certainly bring charges.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 02:09:55 PM »

This sucks for the guy, but in case you were thinking it would hurt Kitzhaber, it won't.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 02:50:02 PM »

This sucks for the guy, but in case you were thinking it would hurt Kitzhaber, it won't.

In a just world, it would.  Kitzhaber should have called the attacker out when he observed it.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 03:10:35 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2010, 03:12:20 PM by bgwah »

Did he have the right to film? If not, he was certainly given plenty of opportunity to comply peacefully.

And no, nobody is going to care about this. Dino Rossi had a similar incident in 2008, and nobody really cared other than left-wing blogger types. I don't suppose the "puncher" is running for office? Because Rossi's attack dog is running for state legislature a block or so north of my home district. Tongue
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 03:21:37 PM »

Did he have the right to film? If not, he was certainly given plenty of opportunity to comply peacefully.

And no, nobody is going to care about this. Dino Rossi had a similar incident in 2008, and nobody really cared other than left-wing blogger types. I don't suppose the "puncher" is running for office? Because Rossi's attack dog is running for state legislature a block or so north of my home district. Tongue

The remedy is not assault and battery. I hope the dude has to face a jury. And no, the Dem candidate will not be hurt by this, but he will lose anyway.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 03:34:15 PM »

The remedy is not assault and battery. I hope the dude has to face a jury. And no, the Dem candidate will not be hurt by this, but he will lose anyway.

Based on what? A video where his camera is taken away?

Oh look, there's a picture at the end with some blood dripping down his face. Perhaps Ashley Todd is his make-up artist.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 03:44:34 PM »

Based on what? A video where his camera is taken away?

Oh look, there's a picture at the end with some blood dripping down his face. Perhaps Ashley Todd is his make-up artist.

Let the jury decide. The camera was shoved into his face by the batterer.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 04:06:27 PM »

Why were they so opposed to this man taping the speech?  Were they worried the man was going to sell bootleg copies of the Governor's speech tape on the black market?

Kitzhaber should at least speak out on this.... or better yet, let the voters speak out against Kitzhaber.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 10:44:09 PM »

He should have tried screaming. That would have been pretty lulzy.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 11:00:34 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2010, 11:05:32 PM by Lunar »

Nothing could excuse it, but it doesn't mean lots of antagonistic behavior was not edited out.  Obviously a heavily edited clip, assumes Kitz should have responsibility for interfering in sudden movements in his audience...a camera got shoved back into his face, that's not really the same thing as being obviously punched.  

Yeah, security at that event felt like they had the right to kick the GOP film tracker out of the event, I'm not entirely sure if the public invite means that you're not allowed to get kicked out for disobeying the policies of the property by repeatedly saying "it's my first amendment right it's a public event" .. but regardless, yeah, disproportionate force, yes, political scandal or in any way a notable event it is not...seen plenty of worse behavior in front of cameras from actual GOP *candidates* this cycle.  Like Paul LePage was hosting his own press conference and when the press asked tough questions he stormed out of his own press conference screaming at them.

Anyway, it seems like assault was committed, but I don't see why this could rationally be anything more than that and a little right wing blog excitement on behalf of an unqualified NBA player
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 02:57:46 AM »

Isn't it a little sad that we take people to court for smacking each other these days? Whatever happened to a clean, man to man fist fight? You know, the loser buys the beer afterward. Sigh.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies