nader
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:24:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  nader
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: nader  (Read 11334 times)
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 01, 2003, 04:06:41 PM »

no i dont think so
DarthKosh

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2003, 04:13:51 PM »

Yes I do think he'll run and he will hurt Dean too.
jravnsbo

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2003, 04:17:42 PM »

If Nader doesn't think the Dems can win he'll run.  Plus he would still like to get to that 5% nationally to build the Green party.  I hear the Greens may be trying to strongly pusha  Green candidate in Oregon to boost their numbers their and garner more attention.  They are unlikely to win there and could just get a lot of extra votes ina  race with Wyden, but again they are trying to build.

simply: yes I think he'll run.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2003, 04:23:59 PM »

I hope he will not run.  He helps the repubs and hurts the dems
jravnsbo

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2003, 04:29:50 PM »

well my question has always been how do you help the constituency that you want support from.  Dems have been bashing Greens for costing them the election in 2000, when in all honestly Gore should have won easily with good economy and before 9/11.

Same with CBC, they wanted a leadership post or 2 and they were denied them.  If I was in these groups I'd be Ticked off.  I know they hate Bush but kind of like "Dems what have you done for me lately?"
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2003, 07:27:39 PM »

PERSONALLY i can not stand nader.  dont get me wrong but i just cant stand him
TomAtPitt
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2003, 07:33:41 PM »

There have also been rumors about the possibility of Cynthia McKinney of Georgia switching to the Green Party and running for President Cynthia McKinney is a former Congresswoman who lost a primary challenge in her home district, her pro-Palestinan position led to AIPAC funding her ultimately sucsessful primary challenger. She could help the Greens pick up more votes among blacks, women, and southerners.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2003, 07:38:52 PM »

There have also been rumors about the possibility of Cynthia McKinney of Georgia switching to the Green Party and running for President Cynthia McKinney is a former Congresswoman who lost a primary challenge in her home district, her pro-Palestinan position led to AIPAC funding her ultimately sucsessful primary challenger. She could help the Greens pick up more votes among blacks, women, and southerners.
interesting
Demrepdan

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2003, 11:48:55 PM »

I can't stand third parties in general. This country is controlled by two parties, the Democrats and Republicans. Pick one, or shut up.
emergingDmajority1
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2003, 12:32:52 AM »

he'll run, but there is very little enthusiasm for him.

I've seen him recently.....man has he aged.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2003, 04:17:59 AM »

He will probably run... but even Micheal Moore has abandoned him(and come out in support of Clark)

The Dems are well aware that he almost cost them MN, IA, OR and WI.
They are going to make a point about "wasted votes" and "letting Bush in by the back door".

It's even possible that Walt Brown(SPUSA) might get more votes in OR than Nader.
TomAtPitt
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2003, 01:42:01 PM »

He will probably run... but even Micheal Moore has abandoned him(and come out in support of Clark)

The Dems are well aware that he almost cost them MN, IA, OR and WI.
They are going to make a point about "wasted votes" and "letting Bush in by the back door".

It's even possible that Walt Brown(SPUSA) might get more votes in OR than Nader.

I'd still expect a significant amount of far-left votes to defect to third parties. The Far Left has been energized by the Iraq  and is at one of it's stronger points. And what they are calling for now is "End the Occupation"- removing US troops from Iraq. None of the major Democratic candidates support that, and that rift will likely cause a significant defection to third parties, particularly if a pro-war candidate like Gephardt or Kerry were nominated.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2003, 03:31:05 PM »

I can't stand third parties in general. This country is controlled by two parties, the Democrats and Republicans. Pick one, or shut up.
I agree
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2003, 03:37:49 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I agree too. However, a proportional representation system or a sequential runoff system would be far superior to what we have. Who knows how many voters Perot might have gotten if sequential runoff was implemented in 1992? Maybe 40%!
jravnsbo

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2003, 05:49:42 PM »

Who knows how Perot would have done if he would have just stayed int eh race.  That would have been really interesting.  He has had the best shot ever of doing it as a 3rd party and then quit.

Nader could be strong again.  In fact he was my second choice in 2000.  Bush then Nader.  Yes farther Left, but he didn't scare me as much as Gore did.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2003, 05:51:18 PM »

I think nader has lost his strength
jravnsbo

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2003, 05:59:35 PM »

One thing though is that if Nader sees an opportunity to run and the Dems have a candidate that looks like a loser to BUsh, why not run and try to get to the 5% federal matching funds level for a wide open race in 2008.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2003, 07:43:54 PM »

Nader Raising Money for Possible Campaign

Ralph Nader has not yet decided whether to make another run for the White House, but he's authorized a new exploratory committee to raise money for a potential bid.

The Nader 2004 Presidential Exploratory Committee was formed in late October as part of the consumer activist's effort to gauge support for a run, said Theresa Amato, a committee director.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uslatest/story/0,1282,-3455972,00.html
jravnsbo

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2003, 10:07:07 PM »

Fourth Time’s The Charm? It looks like Ralph Nader may be running for president for the fourth time. Although the Gore nemesis has not made a public statement, Politics1.com reports that VoteNader.org – his official 2000 presidential website - has been recently registered and paid for by the "Nader 2004 Presidential Exploratory Committee, Inc."

Although the exploratory committee is not yet registered with the FEC, it is not required to do so until it has raised or spent $5,000. And lest that cast doubt on Nader’s intentions, an e-mailer to Politics1.com says that she/he received a message from the new site implying that Nader will run again. The e-mailer also says that Nader would run as an independent and not a Green. In 2000, despite being a registered independent, Nader ran as the Green Party’s nominee.

Nader’s office says they can’t confirm the report and that he hasn’t made a statement one way or the other. Dennis Kucinich has said that he can keep Nader from running, but perhaps VoteNader.org has decided that the chances of a Kucinich Democratic nomination are not that great.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2003, 12:55:04 AM »

If Nader runs as an independent instead of a Green, that would hurt his vote.
Also, this would only be Nader's 3rd time running I believe. I'm very certain he never ran before 1996.
Demrepdan

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2003, 01:01:04 AM »

Also, this would only be Nader's 3rd time running I believe. I'm very certain he never ran before 1996.
Yes, I think '96 was the first time Nader ran for President. Dave's elections results confirm this as well.

But if Nader does run, and apparently he will, do you think he will still pick his Vice Presidential running mate Winona LaDuke? I'm getting tired of her, he needs to find someone new. Better yet, just stay out of the race entirely.
jravnsbo

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2003, 01:06:10 AM »

LAst article I posted about 4th run was from CBS directly.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2003, 01:17:16 AM »

Well then I think CBS screwed up here. Smiley
jravnsbo

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2003, 01:48:38 AM »

lol nymph-yeah from CBSNEWS politics section there "Washington Wrap" which can be quite good at times.  Off to look it up on the net.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2003, 11:24:38 PM »

Nader eyeing another White House run

Consumer advocate Ralph Nader said Thursday he is leaning toward another independent run for the presidency and will make his decision public in January.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/12/11/elec04.prez.nader.2004/index.html
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies