any difference between D and R in MA and CT?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:40:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  any difference between D and R in MA and CT?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: any difference between D and R in MA and CT?  (Read 1849 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 03, 2010, 12:10:39 AM »
« edited: October 03, 2010, 12:12:48 AM by shua »

As far as I can tell, the major party governor candidates in MA and CT seem to be one center-left candidate versus another.

(and the race between Chafee and the Dem in RI seems to fit the pattern also.)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 01:47:20 AM »

How is Tom Foley center-left?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 01:48:22 AM »

Baker isn't center-left.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 01:49:38 AM »

It seems that, pretty much, the only difference is economics and other non-social issues.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 07:42:43 AM »

If Tom Foley were "center-left", he'd have gotten an endorsement from the sitting centrist Republican governor, Jodi Rell.
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 12:02:47 PM »

Baker center-left? lol.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 06:40:03 AM »

I think Chafee vs. Caprio is the only race that fits your interpretation... and there is a Republican in that race who I certainly wouldn't call center-left, not that anyone really seems to care about him.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 03:28:11 PM »

sure, in the context of south New England I shouldn't have said center-left, I should have said center.  but that wasn't the point. the point is there's no real philosophical difference that I can see between the candidates. look at their platforms - what difference do they offer? 
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 07:01:25 PM »

I don't about CT, but you're right in MA. In the Bay State, there's no difference between the Democratic and Republican candidates for governor, ever.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 07:30:05 AM »

I don't about CT, but you're right in MA. In the Bay State, there's no difference between the Democratic and Republican candidates for governor, ever.

Silbur v. Weld 1990? Perhaps not the difference he was hoping for though.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 07:41:10 AM »

Uh, Mitt Romney was very different than the head-scratching Shannon O'Brien.

Personally, I find the most stark difference in candidates for governor in Massachusetts this year to be competence. One has muddled through four years in office while the other is ... well, admittedly, I can't say for sure Baker would be a clear improvement, but it's worth taking a chance.

I'm much more excited for the down ballot races here, like State Auditor.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 10:57:56 AM »

Personally, I find the most stark difference in candidates for governor in Massachusetts this year to be competence. One has muddled through four years in office while the other is ... well, admittedly, I can't say for sure Baker would be a clear improvement, but it's worth taking a chance.

It's funny how much more effective Patrick has been than Republican governors, in spite of his problems, by virtue of being in the same party as the legislature.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 11:09:32 AM »

It's funny how much more effective Patrick has been than Republican governors, in spite of his problems, by virtue of being in the same party as the legislature.

Bill Weld was rather effective at working with the legislature. Mitt Romney, not so much, but that was more by choice -- he was much more interested in butting heads than in making compromises.
Stranger Than Fiction
Rookie
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 05:55:09 PM »

As far as I can tell, the major party governor candidates in MA and CT seem to be one center-left candidate versus another.

IIRC, Kerry Healey (R) who got rolled by Deval Patrick in 2006, was a particularly vile candidate - anti-choice, anti stem-cell funding and staunchly pro-gun.  Not exactly one center-left candidate vs another.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 07:18:18 PM »

IIRC, Kerry Healey (R) who got rolled by Deval Patrick in 2006, was a particularly vile candidate - anti-choice, anti stem-cell funding and staunchly pro-gun.  Not exactly one center-left candidate vs another.

I thought that she was nominally Pro-Choice. Her real problem was that she could not contradict any of Romney's new crazy positions. Which largely explains the 35%.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 07:55:43 AM »

I thought that she was nominally Pro-Choice. Her real problem was that she could not contradict any of Romney's new crazy positions. Which largely explains the 35%.

I'm pretty sure she was pro-choice too, but whatever. At the end of the day, she was never really a serious candidate.
Roemerista
MQuinn
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 5.91

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2010, 03:49:51 PM »

Pro-life Democrats historically are not that rare in MA, especially the legislature. While Baker said he was "to the left" of Obama on social issues, that hardly means that he is the same as Deval philosophically economically. And since he is solely running on the economy, that is just fine.

And if you want less top-level ticket, I bet you can't find anyone in MA who would say Tierney and his opponent Hudak would be too similar to know the difference.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies