Canadian Dollar smashes though Parity!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:09:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Canadian Dollar smashes though Parity!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canadian Dollar smashes though Parity!  (Read 2772 times)
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 14, 2010, 01:35:15 AM »

We were at 1.00 CAD=1.00031 USD just a few moments ago!
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 01:51:54 AM »

Yeah, the Australian dollar was at 99.7 US cents at close of Australian markets, so it'll probably hit parity overnight or next week.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 10:34:19 AM »

We were at 1.00 CAD=1.00031 USD just a few moments ago!

It was the same in Fall 2007 as well.  It's good for us going into the Christmas shopping season.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 03:11:46 PM »

Third time in my life time. I remember when it was like 63 cents lol.

Yeah, the Australian dollar was at 99.7 US cents at close of Australian markets, so it'll probably hit parity overnight or next week.

Now, isn't that interesting? All 3 are about the same... The Swiss Franc was the last time I checked pretty close as well.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 06:17:16 PM »

Third time in my life time. I remember when it was like 63 cents lol.

Now, isn't that interesting? All 3 are about the same... The Swiss Franc was the last time I checked pretty close as well.

Oh no!  It's a plot to get us to have one world currency!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 06:53:47 PM »

I can remember when 100 Swiss francs was about $60 (and that was the price in the Geneva red light district).
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 01:34:17 AM »

The Aussie dollar has never been at or above parity with the US dollar since it floated, so if it makes it it'd be pretty significant.

I can remember when we dipped below 50c USD Tongue
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 02:22:01 AM »

Maybe it's time to fix them to each other.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 10:09:22 PM »

Well, we topped out at AUD 1.0003= USD 1.00, now fallen back a bit (0.9905). Still, first time since 1983 when the Aussie was floated.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 02:02:51 AM »

I remember when I lived there and it never got about 0.75c... grrrrr
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 03:03:34 PM »

Currency union time! (Seriously, would be a good idea, although no one would ever agree.)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 04:08:49 PM »

Currency union time! (Seriously, would be a good idea, although no one would ever agree.)

This would not be terrible at all.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 06:04:02 AM »

Why would it be a good idea?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 08:21:51 AM »

Simpler, cheaper commercial transactions. No need to go through conversion of prices every time a good crosses the border, which creates massive inefficiencies. There's certainly no downside for economies on essentially the same footing.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 08:43:12 AM »

Simpler, cheaper commercial transactions. No need to go through conversion of prices every time a good crosses the border, which creates massive inefficiencies. There's certainly no downside for economies on essentially the same footing.

I'd like to see a cite for the massive inefficiencies. As far as I know the money you save on lower transaction costs are fractions of percents of GDP (0.2% is a number I recall from the Swedish debate on the euro).

I don't think the risk of asymmetric shocks is necessarily negligible even with the US and Canada, but it probably has better chances of doing well than the European one, that's true. I'm not sure how good labour mobility is in Canada though. 
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2010, 10:41:58 AM »

The current floating exchange rates are working well for both countries, so there's no need to muck things up by switching to a currency union. Don't fix what ain't broke.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2010, 03:33:30 PM »

I'd like to see a cite for the massive inefficiencies. As far as I know the money you save on lower transaction costs are fractions of percents of GDP (0.2% is a number I recall from the Swedish debate on the euro).

I don't think the risk of asymmetric shocks is necessarily negligible even with the US and Canada, but it probably has better chances of doing well than the European one, that's true. I'm not sure how good labour mobility is in Canada though.  

0.2% of GDP is massive. That's hundreds of billions of dollars (in reference to the American GDP).
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2010, 09:12:30 PM »

USD is already defacto accepted throughout Canada, although they'll give back change in CAD. So the current parity is definitely convenient, so I definitely agree with you. IMO ideally the US and Canada would establish something vaguely similar to Schengen.

The current floating exchange rates are working well for both countries, so there's no need to muck things up by switching to a currency union. Don't fix what ain't broke.

It's fine now, but it was pretty bad for Canada during the 1990s...
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 01:35:53 AM »

No way than the Canadians would accept to leave the control of the currency to another country.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 02:59:23 AM »

No way than the Canadians would accept to leave the control of the currency to another country.

No way they would surrender control of their monetary policy to another country either.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2010, 07:03:10 AM »

0.2% of GDP is massive. That's hundreds of billions of dollars (in reference to the American GDP).

Eh...0.2% of a large sum is still only 0.2% though. Once you divide it by the total size of the economy it still does not make that much difference. The difference between having an independent monetary policy and not having is, on the other hand, massive if you're hit by, say, asymmetric shock.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2010, 07:38:14 AM »

USD is already defacto accepted throughout Canada, although they'll give back change in CAD. So the current parity is definitely convenient, so I definitely agree with you. IMO ideally the US and Canada would establish something vaguely similar to Schengen.

No way I would accept American money at par if the Canadian Dollar was worth more.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2010, 11:06:37 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2010, 11:08:13 PM by I have never seen a sadder star fall from the sky »

Lots of places in North Dakota accept Canadian money too (though they'll usually have the exchange rate on hand to calculate instead of treating it as parity). It's not uncommon even in Bismarck which is quite far from any population center, basically some local places will accept it though most big chain places won't. In places like Grand Forks even the chain places often accept Canadian dollars.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies