2016 if Obama loses
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:56:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  2016 if Obama loses
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2016 if Obama loses  (Read 4767 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 11, 2010, 11:57:05 PM »

Suppose Obama is defeated in 2012, and a Republican takes the reins from 2013-2017. Who that Republican is will be up to you. My question is, what Democratic candidates would be viable in 2016 if Obama loses? It isn't a scenario we discuss too often, and I would love to hear some opinions on it.
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 11:26:48 AM »

I think Clinton would be the early front runner and favorite, and probably win the nomination.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 11:59:29 AM »

Hillary Clinton
Corey Booker (he'll be Governor of NJ in 2013)
Andrew Cuomo
Brian Schweitzer
Maybe others that we haven't heard about yet (?)
MorningInAmerica
polijunkie3057
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: 0.52

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 12:29:17 PM »

I agree. I think an Obama loss would be almost ideal for Clinton in 2016. If Obama wins reelection, she might not want to risk putting her name/brand/legacy on the line to help the Democrats hold on to what would be an unlikely third term. But if he loses, and the Reps take control for four years, she is perfectly set up to lead the party in 2016. And make no mistake, she would be more formidable than she was before, what with having 4 years of Sec of State under her belt.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 12:54:27 PM »

I agree. I think an Obama loss would be almost ideal for Clinton in 2016. If Obama wins reelection, she might not want to risk putting her name/brand/legacy on the line to help the Democrats hold on to what would be an unlikely third term. But if he loses, and the Reps take control for four years, she is perfectly set up to lead the party in 2016. And make no mistake, she would be more formidable than she was before, what with having 4 years of Sec of State under her belt.

No way in Hell is an Obama loss better for her.  If Obama loses, he'd be only the second president in over a century to give the White House back to the opposing party after a single term and she'd have to bet on that happening again in 2016.  If a Republican won in 2012 and then things were still so bad that he or she were vulnerable in 2016, it would suggest fatigue with both parties is so strong as to favor some very anti-establishment candidate- maybe even an Independent- and she wouldn't fit the bill.

On the other hand, Nixon in 60, Bush Sr. in 88 and Gore in 2000 do not suggest winning after Obama is term-limited would be that hard for her.
MorningInAmerica
polijunkie3057
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: 0.52

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 02:05:52 PM »

On the other hand, Nixon in 60, Bush Sr. in 88 and Gore in 2000 do not suggest winning after Obama is term-limited would be that hard for her.

I agree with this. So I'll stand by what I said Wink
Nichlemn

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 10:42:05 PM »

No way in Hell is an Obama loss better for her.  If Obama loses, he'd be only the second president in over a century to give the White House back to the opposing party after a single term and she'd have to bet on that happening again in 2016.  If a Republican won in 2012 and then things were still so bad that he or she were vulnerable in 2016, it would suggest fatigue with both parties is so strong as to favor some very anti-establishment candidate- maybe even an Independent- and she wouldn't fit the bill.

Or alternatively, things were so bad in 2012 that Obama lost to a weak GOPer (e.g. Palin) who would be immediately vulnerable even if things improved. Think Class of 94 Senators.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 01:51:25 AM »

Andrew Cuomo
Hillary Clinton
Mark Warner

leatherface
Rookie
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 04:18:56 PM »

If Obama loses in 2012, what's to stop him doing a Grover Cleveland and making a return in 2016?, anyone willing to discuss this possibility
Dgov
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 05:40:43 PM »

If Obama loses in 2012, what's to stop him doing a Grover Cleveland and making a return in 2016?, anyone willing to discuss this possibility

The Cold, stinging reality that he almost single-handedly killed the "Emerging democratic majority?"

(Not that HE actually did, but it's what his supporters will think)
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 12:22:17 AM »

Mark Warner
Tim Kaine
Evan Bayh (ugh...)
Brad Henry
Mike Beebe
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 06:10:44 AM »

Someone we haven't heard of yet, just like we haven't heard of Obama in 2002.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 03:14:45 PM »

Mark Warner
Tim Kaine
Brian Schwietzer

I'm going to say no to Hillary because she will be too old.  I'm guessing the other candidates will all be people we havn't heard of yet.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 05:02:03 PM »

Mark Warner
Tim Kaine
Brian Schwietzer

I'm going to say no to Hillary because she will be too old.  I'm guessing the other candidates will all be people we havn't heard of yet.

What will Tim Kaine be doing after his DNC Chairmanship ends in 2013?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies