some will find this cute, others won't
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 08:49:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  some will find this cute, others won't
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: some will find this cute, others won't  (Read 2309 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 11, 2004, 10:27:25 PM »

my friend works at a record store. Today a girl came in, still wearing a Kerry/Edwards button on her jacket (this in in South Dakota by the way, not friendly territory to us)

When she was checking out he commented "nice to see you were on the right side, but why are you still wearing that? we lost."

she said "well so did the Confederates. That doesn't stop them from flying their flag everywhere."

Nice attitude that girl has. I almost hope now that we see an '72/'84 type landslide so I can have that candidate's bumper sticker on my car.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 01:45:35 AM »

But to get the the full effect, it needs to be on a pickup truck instead of a car. Smiley
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 01:48:00 AM »

my friend works at a record store. Today a girl came in, still wearing a Kerry/Edwards button on her jacket (this in in South Dakota by the way, not friendly territory to us)

When she was checking out he commented "nice to see you were on the right side, but why are you still wearing that? we lost."

she said "well so did the Confederates. That doesn't stop them from flying their flag everywhere."

Nice attitude that girl has. I almost hope now that we see an '72/'84 type landslide so I can have that candidate's bumper sticker on my car.

I agree, I'm not taking off my Kerry/Edwards bumper sticker either.

Don't wish any more landslides on us, though. :-) I'm glad you stopped at almost.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 02:31:24 AM »

I could beat this woman in a second, though I admire her gusto:  I have some of my parents' Mondale/Ferraro buttons from 1984, Carter/Mondale buttons from 1976 and 1980, and McGovern/Shriver buttons from 1972.

Shows two things about me:  First, I have a real fascination in politics and history, combined with my picture of Ronald Reagan behind my workdesk and my personally signed picture George H. W. Bush (one of the perks of living in Houston and knowing a few people), I now have quite a collection.  Smiley

Second, my parents were lefties and I'm pretty much the exact opposite.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 02:35:56 AM »

I could beat this woman in a second, though I admire her gusto:  I have some of my parents' Mondale/Ferraro buttons from 1984, Carter/Mondale buttons from 1976 and 1980, and McGovern/Shriver buttons from 1972.

Shows two things about me:  First, I have a real fascination in politics and history, combined with my picture of Ronald Reagan behind my workdesk and my personally signed picture George H. W. Bush (one of the perks of living in Houston and knowing a few people), I now have quite a collection.  Smiley

My mother has a Goldwater/Miller button.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 02:39:53 AM »

Very cool.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 06:35:18 AM »

My mother has a Goldwater/Miller button.

I have a Goldwater/Miller poster somewhere.
badnarikin04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 08:43:21 PM »

And I refuse to take the Badnarik/Campagna button off my backpack.
bergie72
Germany

Political Matrix
E: 4.77, S: -3.48

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2004, 10:49:41 PM »

And I refuse to take the Badnarik/Campagna button off my backpack.

I still have my Badnarik bumper sticker taped to the inside of the hatch on my Subaru.  Not likely to take it off until the colors start to fade either.   :-)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2004, 10:52:36 PM »

I have yet to see a Confederate flag in person
M

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2004, 11:07:51 PM »

I have seen many, many, many. Are there really less of them in Virginia than in Texas? I know I've seen a few in Virginia. In summer of 2002 my family and I drove from Houston to Baltwash DC and back , along the way we saw plenty of gift shops with "the South will rise again" memorabilia, stars-and-bars T-shirts with slogans like "rebel rose", and in rural Georgia, the ever popular pre-Barnes flag. Not to mention the flag they fly officially in Biloxi...

Seriously, though, I have no problem with the Confederate flag; I view it as an expression of nationalism rather than racism, and the Southerners who proudly wave it equivalent to the "bon cop de falc" crowd in Barcelona. Of course, some, especially in the North, DO use it as a hate symbol, which complicates things. But the symbol itself is a perfectly legitimate part of the Southern heritage, and I don't see why it shouldn't fly over the SC capitol in Colmbia as long as it stays below the national flag.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2004, 11:38:28 PM »

I have seen many, many, many. Are there really less of them in Virginia than in Texas? I know I've seen a few in Virginia. In summer of 2002 my family and I drove from Houston to Baltwash DC and back , along the way we saw plenty of gift shops with "the South will rise again" memorabilia, stars-and-bars T-shirts with slogans like "rebel rose", and in rural Georgia, the ever popular pre-Barnes flag. Not to mention the flag they fly officially in Biloxi...

Seriously, though, I have no problem with the Confederate flag; I view it as an expression of nationalism rather than racism, and the Southerners who proudly wave it equivalent to the "bon cop de falc" crowd in Barcelona. Of course, some, especially in the North, DO use it as a hate symbol, which complicates things. But the symbol itself is a perfectly legitimate part of the Southern heritage, and I don't see why it shouldn't fly over the SC capitol in Colmbia as long as it stays below the national flag.

My thoughts exactly. Smiley
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2004, 01:42:27 AM »

I still have my Badnarik sticker in my back window.  Not sure if I'll take it out, probably replace it with a regular libertarian sticker and a FSP sticker on the other side.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2004, 12:35:40 PM »

My dad still has a McGovern/Shriver pin. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies