Office of the Game Moderator/Atlasian Mustelid Post Gazette
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:54:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of the Game Moderator/Atlasian Mustelid Post Gazette
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Author Topic: Office of the Game Moderator/Atlasian Mustelid Post Gazette  (Read 23464 times)
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: March 21, 2011, 07:54:42 PM »

We need to cut Medicare Spending, Iraq/Afghan Operations and Military Spending.

Given that we don't have Iraq/Afghan operations, it's rather disturbing that we spend anything at all on them.

I completely agree. JBrase and I found that a while back and were quite baffled. Military spending as a whole need to be reduced in this term.

You have my support, Mr. President!

Thank you. Now I can sleep with peace tonight.

Tongue
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #126 on: March 21, 2011, 08:19:08 PM »

I will not support any cuts to military spending.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #127 on: March 21, 2011, 08:25:22 PM »

Then what do you propose we cut in order to reduce our deficit?
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #128 on: March 21, 2011, 08:42:44 PM »

Even when cutting off funding to Iraq/Afghanistan operations is equivalent to stopping construction on the Bridge to Nowhere?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #129 on: March 22, 2011, 04:01:37 PM »

Given that we don't have Iraq/Afghan operations, it's rather disturbing that we spend anything at all on them.

Interesting note. I've raised this question at multiple points, including specifically in the Budget Process Committee discussions. To this point no one has pointed out to me, despite repeated requests, anything in Atlasian history showing our government made a firm and decisive break with RL policy/military activity in Iraq or Afghanistan. I'm not swearing that hasn't happened, but merely no one has pointed it out to me despite repeated requests.

Until then--and if this post doesn't produce it nothing will--I'm assuming Atlasian activity and spending in both theaters matches RL.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #130 on: March 22, 2011, 04:30:06 PM »

Interesting note. I've raised this question at multiple points, including specifically in the Budget Process Committee discussions. To this point no one has pointed out to me, despite repeated requests, anything in Atlasian history showing our government made a firm and decisive break with RL policy/military activity in Iraq or Afghanistan. I'm not swearing that hasn't happened, but merely no one has pointed it out to me despite repeated requests.

Until then--and if this post doesn't produce it nothing will--I'm assuming Atlasian activity and spending in both theaters matches RL.

Nothing explicit, but the Foreign Policy Review Act of 2010 seems to suggest fairly normal relations with both Afghanistan & Iraq.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #131 on: March 23, 2011, 07:47:25 AM »
« Edited: March 23, 2011, 07:49:05 AM by Badger »

Nothing explicit, but the Foreign Policy Review Act of 2010 seems to suggest fairly normal relations with both Afghanistan & Iraq.

True, but that has to do with relations with the government. I imagine RL relations with the Afghanistani and Iraqi leadership would be considered similarly. Also, simply not specific at all re: termination of military ventures there. Thanks for providing this PiT, but if this is all there is then the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq (and their attendant spending) continue as per RL until the government decrees otherwise.

I can't believe this hasn't been touched on previously. What were you guys all debating about in 2006 and when the surge occurred? For that matter I can't believe I didn't inquire about this while a Senator. Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #132 on: March 23, 2011, 04:45:17 PM »

True, but that has to do with relations with the government. I imagine RL relations with the Afghanistani and Iraqi leadership would be considered similarly. Also, simply not specific at all re: termination of military ventures there. Thanks for providing this PiT, but if this is all there is then the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq (and their attendant spending) continue as per RL until the government decrees otherwise.

I can't believe this hasn't been touched on previously. What were you guys all debating about in 2006 and when the surge occurred? For that matter I can't believe I didn't inquire about this while a Senator. Tongue

Perhaps more relevantly, we also have a free trade agreement with Iraq, per the Omnibus Trade Reorganization & Wiki Consolidation Act.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #133 on: March 25, 2011, 11:49:59 AM »

True, but that has to do with relations with the government. I imagine RL relations with the Afghani and Iraqi leadership would be considered similarly. Also, simply not specific at all re: termination of military ventures there. Thanks for providing this PiT, but if this is all there is then the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq (and their attendant spending) continue as per RL until the government decrees otherwise.

Perhaps more relevantly, we also have a free trade agreement with Iraq, per the Omnibus Trade Reorganization & Wiki Consolidation Act.

What are trade relations with Iraq in RL? Again, any tariffs that may be in place have nothing to do with lack of diplomatic and/or military support of the Iraqi government. I appreciate the info, PiT, but I don't see a free trade agreement as indicative that Atlasia withdrew its military forces from Iraq and/or Afghanistan.

Again, it seems strange but apparently true that repeated successive administrations and senates have merely assumed Atlasia stopped any significant military involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan, when in fact nothing of the sort was officially done.

Might be an interesting and long overdue subject for senate debate, no? Wink
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #134 on: March 25, 2011, 02:26:11 PM »

News Flash: Economy Still Stinks.

(AMPG--Nyman): Government economists announced today that the national unemployment rate continues to rise, hitting 9.2% in March, up from 9.1% last month. The annual rate of economic growth rose to 0.4%, double February's figures, but still low enough that the economy is still under immediate threat of recession economists warn.

Stocks have remained "stablish" on market analyst opined. But, the expert further warned: "It's kind of like stabilizing in a coma after suffering a major stroke. The immediate danger is gone, but there's still no signs of life."

More news to follow after the GM's birthday bash this weekend. Grin
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #135 on: March 25, 2011, 03:26:12 PM »

Happy b-day!!!
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #136 on: March 25, 2011, 03:31:33 PM »

Happy Birthdaythoughnotsureexactlywhatitisonbutstillhappyb-daynonetheless
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #137 on: March 25, 2011, 03:49:17 PM »

Dunka Shein (or however its spelt). Its tomorrow, but the drinking party starts shortly. Smiley
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: March 25, 2011, 04:49:14 PM »

Dunka Shein (or however its spelt). Its tomorrow, but the drinking party starts shortly. Smiley

Danke schön**

Smiley
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #139 on: March 29, 2011, 08:16:06 PM »

We also set up Medicare and Medicaid to essentially be abolished nearly two years ago.

(I'm also genuinely curious as to what Jbrase thinks the current tax rates are.)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #140 on: April 01, 2011, 08:26:56 AM »

We also set up Medicare and Medicaid to essentially be abolished nearly two years ago.

(I'm also genuinely curious as to what Jbrase thinks the current tax rates are.)

No, don't blame JBrase. I've been meaning to adjust deficit levels to account for the Fiscal Responsibility Act, but haven't got around to it yet. That's my slowness, not his.

I've also wondered about the Medicaid/Medicare thing in light of Atlasia's version of health care reform being passed. Though despite these same spending categories being proposed at the time, this was never brought up by ANYONE on the budget process committee last year, was it Marokai? Wink
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #141 on: April 01, 2011, 06:22:59 PM »

I suppose it wasn't.. Tongue
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #142 on: April 03, 2011, 12:15:37 AM »

so, do we need to do anything else for Medicare and Medicaid to be phased out, or is there any problem if we just stop funding it? 
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #143 on: April 04, 2011, 08:03:58 AM »

so, do we need to do anything else for Medicare and Medicaid to be phased out, or is there any problem if we just stop funding it? 

I think in terms of Medicare and Medicaid the funding is being changed to a new national health care system. The labeling of spending subcategories should change; in terms of the money spent, well, probably so---but I'm not yet sure how. Tongue

Input on this Marokai? As well as any critics of this "socialized medicine"?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #144 on: April 05, 2011, 07:26:17 PM »

The spending of Medicare and Medicaid would probably be along the same lines I suppose, since most of what we did was simply transfer patients, personnel, and the funding to the national healthcare program.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #145 on: April 07, 2011, 02:52:46 PM »

This thread seems to have been unsticked. Could that be rectified please?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2011, 11:37:19 AM »

BREAKING NEWS: ATLASIA AND CHINA COME TO AGREEMENT:

Stocks Rise On Reports of "Nominal" Financing Cuts

(AMPG--Beijing): PRC and Atlasian representatives today announced an end to the debt financing crisis that paralyzed world markets for months. In a joint communique the parties announced China will live up to its obligations to reduce its financing of Atlasians annual budget deficit by reducing its purchase of Atlasian government securities by 2.1%. As part of the announcement it was revealed Atlasia will reduce its tarriffs on rubber, tire, and processed iron from 35% to 25%.

Wall street has reacted with favorable excitement with the announcement; industries affected by the reduced tariffs and unions have reacted angrily. More analysis to follow.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #147 on: May 22, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Folks, as its become painfully obvious over the last month that real life has overtaken my ability to do this job--let alone at the level of activity I expect of myself--I will need to hand over the reins of GM. Ergo, I will resign effective either June 1, or when President Tmthforu's nominee is confirmed, whichever comes first.

Sorry for the absent month, and Dave Bless Atlasia.

Oh, and while I'm not leaving Atlasia, I won't be that active in the immediate future either. Just please PM me when elections and JCP conventions are going on, k? Wink
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #148 on: May 22, 2011, 08:59:49 PM »

You will be missed, my friend.  You have been an excellent GM.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #149 on: May 22, 2011, 10:26:08 PM »

You will be missed, my friend.  You have been an excellent GM.
Seconded.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies