Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 10, 2017, 10:47:40 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  About this Site
| |-+  The Atlas
| | |-+  Something very odd
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Something very odd  (Read 2469 times)
Kevin
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2010, 11:50:37 pm »
Ignore

Recently when trying to visit the forum on ether a computer at my school or my own personal laptop. I keep on getting a message on the screen whenever I attempt to enter the forum by Project Honey Pot that says my computer is being used for malicious purposes or is infected with a virus, trojan etc. In addition, it asks me to enter the solution to a simple mathematical equation in order to be allowed pass "to make sure I'm not a "spambot". I was wondering if anyone else has gotten this message when attempting to visit the forums? Especially considering the computers at my school and my own are heavily protected security wise, as well as the fact that I've gotten this message on multiple computers.

Lunar
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 12:16:35 am »
Ignore

any visit to this forum results in this?  You just tried your home computer and a school computer? Have you tried multiple browsers?

the type of message you describe sounds like it could easily be some adware or malware installed on your computer if it weren't for the school computer  bit

The more amount of detail you can provide the better (time attempted, browser used, ability to replicate)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 12:19:44 am by Lunar »Logged

this is real
Kevin
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 12:20:18 am »
Ignore

any visit to this forum results in this?  You just tried your home computer and a school computer? Have you tried multiple browsers?

the type of message you describe sounds like it could easily be some adware or malware installed on your computer

The more amount of detail you can provide the better (time attempted, browser used, ability to replicate)

yes I've tried multiple browsers and computers,

Also, I only get it when visiting this particular forum thus far.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 11:09:59 am by Kevin »Logged

minionofmidas - supplemental forum account
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 12:53:26 pm »
Ignore

I've just gotten the same thing for the first time. Although given the pc I'm on right now, I wouldn't be surprised if it were genuine.

The address in the address bar certainly looked legit, but what do i know?

If I'm shown as having been active here recently it's either because I've been using the gallery, because I've been using the search engine looking up something from way back, or because I've been reading the most excellent UK by-elections thread again.
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 12:59:26 pm »
Ignore

'kay, this "Honeypot Project" has a website, easily googleable, where they're calling themselves largest in the field.

"Honeypot" for spam detectors is apparently a standard term explained at this wiki page ... and it has a list of links to such sites, and this one isn't among those listed. Hmmm....

If I'm shown as having been active here recently it's either because I've been using the gallery, because I've been using the search engine looking up something from way back, or because I've been reading the most excellent UK by-elections thread again.
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 01:01:35 pm »
Ignore

Ah, right:

Its not likely that these new accounts have anything to do with banned forum members.  Many of these IPs and email addresses are in the StopForumSpam database and I delete these accounts.

I also added a a block to the forum for ips that are in the honey pot database can not even view the forum.  There apparently are a lot of "guest" robots looking to harvest emails or posts comments.  2486 ips have been blocked since yesterday.

There are a few users that seem to be encountering this block - I'm looking into it - could be they are posting from a proxy & the proxy has been flagged, but I'm not certain.

Dave

John Dibble
YaBB God
Japan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 08:18:11 am »
Ignore

I get it sometimes as well, but only at work.

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 07:08:34 pm »
Ignore

I've been getting this at school recently. It's not a big deal, so I won't complain.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Northam for Governor '17
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 07:35:27 pm »
Ignore

I got it on my laptop in North Carolina, but I thought it was because I was at a hotel.  I haven't tried it at home, though.

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
YaBB God
Colombia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 07:15:34 pm »
Ignore

I got it on my laptop at OttawaU last week, and at first I was freaked out that I was in trouble with the uni for going on such website.

17:40   oakvale   the people are bad and shouldn't be allowed vote whenever possible
17:40   oakvale   The average voter wants to end austerity, bring back hanging and put all immigrants in death
Platypus
hughento
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 10:18:56 am »
Ignore

I got it on my laptop at OttawaU last week, and at first I was freaked out that I was in trouble with the uni for going on such website.

In my experience, you can look up anything with a ".org" or ".org.xx" and you're fine. Anything.
Bacon! 🔥
Bacon King
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 09:21:14 am »
Ignore

I got it on my phone the other day.

It was pretty funny, actually, making you answer a math problem and then a second one, with the page saying that "bots can guess correctly sometimes but they can never guess right twice in a row!"

BK without all the crazy drugs just wouldn't be BK.
Vice President PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 01:10:07 pm »
Ignore

Watch someone circumvent that by programming a bot who can do math. Tongue

opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 01:19:38 pm »
Ignore

I just had this exact problem on a computer here at an internet shop in Thailand.  (I'm away from my usual town).  I got around it by using a proxy. 

To be honest the whole 'honeypot' thing looked fake.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 01:48:10 pm »
Ignore

However I do find it terribly annoying as it works only about 75% of the time.. sometimes I have to keep going back and reloading, etc.  Oh how I hate computer machines!

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 03:25:10 pm »
Ignore

Just answer the "maths question". The honeypot thing looks somewhat fake-y but is legit.

I've not had it happen again.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 03:34:54 pm »
Ignore

Just got this for first time. And answered the question. Weird.

Sam Spade
SamSpade
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 03:36:41 pm »
Ignore

I've gotten this a couple of times on my Iphone, but not elsewhere.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 04:53:52 pm »
Ignore

I get this now and again.
Cath
Cathcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 08:01:25 pm »
Ignore

Recently when trying to visit the forum on ether a computer at my school or my own personal laptop. I keep on getting a message on the screen whenever I attempt to enter the forum by Project Honey Pot that says my computer is being used for malicious purposes or is infected with a virus, trojan etc. In addition, it asks me to enter the solution to a simple mathematical equation in order to be allowed pass "to make sure I'm not a "spambot". I was wondering if anyone else has gotten this message when attempting to visit the forums? Especially considering the computers at my school and my own are heavily protected security wise, as well as the fact that I've gotten this message on multiple computers.

I got that on my uncle's Iphone. I had to answer two inane math questions just ot use this website.

America.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout