PA: Muhlenberg/MC: Sestak 40/Toomey 48 (10/24-10/27) DO NOT ENTER UNTIL 27 DROPS (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:45:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  2010 Senatorial Election Polls
  PA: Muhlenberg/MC: Sestak 40/Toomey 48 (10/24-10/27) DO NOT ENTER UNTIL 27 DROPS (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: PA: Muhlenberg/MC: Sestak 40/Toomey 48 (10/24-10/27) DO NOT ENTER UNTIL 27 DROPS  (Read 102905 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« on: October 20, 2010, 06:59:41 AM »

Best part of the poll: 49% claim to have voted for McCain while only 43% voted for Obama.  Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 11:12:21 AM »

The two debates are still to come, correct? Who is considered the strongest of the two in debates? They could decide who wins.

There is one tonight here in Philly and another Friday night in Pittsburgh. The problem with tonight's debate for anyone interested in Southeast PA interested the race? It's on during the Phillies game.  Tongue

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 11:22:35 AM »

Didn't someone here post on another thread that the DSCC stopped spending money in PA?  I don't get it.......if they are this close, why would they stop?

The other day, I said the DCCC (the House campaign committee) canceled their ad buy in Philadelphia (if that's what you're getting at).

The DSCC did scale back an ad buy a few weeks ago though.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 09:54:08 PM »

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/elections/
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 10:00:17 PM »

If I were Sestak, I would definitely be running Toomey = Santorum ads.

He already did that.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 06:54:00 AM »

Casey wasn't strong on personality but he's always strong on name. That means a lot more here so he was clearly a strong candidate.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 07:08:56 AM »

Come on. When you're a Casey in Pennsylvania, it's like being a Kennedy in Massachusetts.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

He was strong because he gets to sit back, do nothing and always win (except 2002 when he wasn't liberal enough for the Democratic electorate) rather easily. Replace him with some stellar candidate that didn't have a great name and you'd see those big victories in many areas disappear.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 09:57:40 PM »

Are you sure those are new numbers? It looks like they just didn't update yet since the Gubernatorial race numbers are the same.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 10:04:36 PM »

The magic of twitter:

"Mcall/Muhlenberg tracker poll tonight: #pasen still locked at 43percent each"

http://twitter.com/DCMorningCall/status/28366922254

Nice
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 08:35:42 AM »

I'm still shaking my head at this one. What happened here? Toomey seemed to have anywhere from a 4-10 point lead for half a year. This one seems more and more like a toss-up, where I had assumed it would be a GOP pick-up.

1) Most importantly, the PA democratic electorate is finally coming home (as is the case with everywhere in the US, and in PA dem's outnumber republicans in registration).  If the election happened on any given day in August or September, of course without people knowing, Toomey would have won handily.  Obviously no major election is unknown to the electorate, so this is completely unrealistic.  I think that most voters in PA, and every other state for that matter, aren't as engaged as the people who use DailyKos, RedState, USElectionAtlas, etc. and only start getting involved in the last month.
2) Sestak is a closer.  He showed it quite well in May with the primary.  He was down pretty big early, and had the primary happened on any given day before April, Specter would have won handily.
3) PA is very blue collar, and I think a lot of voters still use television, radio, and even newspapers as their primary source of information (where as you and others on this forum probably use liberal/conservative blogs or news websites).  I am inclined to believe the electorate in PA is a bit more influenced by the media-based advertising machine.

Agreed.  I never saw this race winding up as a solid Toomey win.  Quite simply the math just doesn't allow for that.  Someone as far right to the right as Toomey doesn't have a chance in hell at suburban Philly.  Without suburban Philly you don't give yourself much room for error and give yourself no chance to win anything other than a nail biter.   

The real question is can Sestak run up the margins in suburban Philly that make it virtually impossible for Toomey to overcome elsewhere in the state? or is Toomey able to hold down the margins in suburban Philly enough to give him the chance to run up the margins elsewhere to win?

Well the interesting thing is Sestak did remarkably well with conservative democratic voters in the Primary.

Specter has never been popular out west and in the rural areas.

Polls didn't have Williams running fourth; he was running in second place for most of the race. He finished third which was surprising.

The theory that he was in it just to help Specter isn't really looney. Many respected people believe that since Williams and Specter have been very close and Williams is a big deal within the establishment.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 09:22:34 AM »

So, I saw Bob Brady on Hardball yesterday and he seemed quite confident about his ability to get Philly votes in huge amounts, therefore being able to win it for Sestak.

I was right behind him. Good showing for Toomey, eh?  Wink

The machine is very powerful but of course Brady is going to say he can deliver the votes. We'll see what happens on November 2nd.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 09:41:45 AM »

Frankly, second place was Wagner, regardless of what the polls said.  I voted Hoeffel (when I was registered in PA) but I believe that for those PA'ians who did not want to vote for Onorato (e.g. a very good, and very liberal friend of mine) the second choice was Wagner as it was generally believed that he had the best chance of beating Onorato (and I say "beating" since Onorato is considered to be a conservative DEM and was not first choice among liberals like myself even though he presented the best chance in beating Corbett).

Wagner is far more conservative but had a better shot at beating Corbett.

I just tend to think most people cite "conspiracy theorists" in a negative way. Either way, it isn't crazy to think that William ran for other reasons.

So, I saw Bob Brady on Hardball yesterday and he seemed quite confident about his ability to get Philly votes in huge amounts, therefore being able to win it for Sestak.

I was right behind him. Good showing for Toomey, eh?  Wink
Yeah, can't say I expected all the Toomey signs. And your guys chant and the boos in response drowned out the panel which was pretty funny. Tongue

We're very organized.  Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 12:17:18 AM »

And then there were nine...

I thought Catholics were a majority in PA? The Muhlenberg poll has 49% of the electorate as Protestant and 33% as Catholics, as of the day three pdf.

Yeah, I think the numbers are supposed to be reversed.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 12:20:07 AM »

I thought Catholics were a majority in PA? The Muhlenberg poll has 49% of the electorate as Protestant and 33% as Catholics, as of the day three pdf.

Have they released the day 4 pdf yet?

I can't find it, only day 3 is on Muhlenberg's website.  It is always so hard to find them.

I waisted an hour myself looking for it.

It's on the right hand side of their Politics page but it seems like their Twitter account is updated before the website.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 02:03:50 PM »

Guys, who cares?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 09:35:44 PM »

Toomey up 47% to 42%.

And then, my friends, there were eight...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 10:16:53 PM »

Yeah, I don't know what's up tonight.  Sad
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 10:25:35 PM »

Toomey - 48%
Sestak - 40%

And then there were seven...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 10:30:35 PM »

It's been confirmed: 48% to 40%
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 10:38:31 PM »

Any idea what the 46-45 Toomey mention vote Dems out is referring to?

No idea. Maybe one of my fellow Republicans just trying to give us a heart attack.  Tongue  Multiple sources confirmed the 48% to 40% result though.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 11:27:17 PM »

Also worth noting: this is a net gain of eleven points for Toomey in just one week in this poll.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 09:51:02 PM »

Anything for today yet? I refuse to have anything to do with Twitter.

Nothing yet. I keep checking Twitter and trying to find out if anyone else knows but I'm not seeing/hearing anything new.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2010, 09:55:40 PM »

Toomey - 46%
Sestak - 41%

Then there were six...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2010, 08:40:39 AM »

F+M has Toomey up by 7% but the amount of undecideds seems particularly ridiculous.

http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/305240

That's typical for F&M. I think the margin is about right though. It's probably a four to six point Toomey lead.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2010, 10:27:11 PM »

Nope. I post once I get word.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies