UAE, it's OK to beat your wife or child.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:24:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UAE, it's OK to beat your wife or child.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UAE, it's OK to beat your wife or child.  (Read 1023 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 22, 2010, 11:15:08 PM »

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/10/19/uae.court.ruling/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Religion of Peace.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 11:29:27 PM »

Spare the rod, spoil the child, no? The main distinction I see is that pretty much all Christian countries these days utilize secular law.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 11:35:09 PM »

Spare the rod, spoil the child, no? The main distinction I see is that pretty much all Christian countries these days utilize secular law.

Beating =/= corporal punishment. Plus no where does Christianity encourage one to "discipline" their wife.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 01:12:29 AM »

Beating =/= corporal punishment. Plus no where does Christianity encourage one to "discipline" their wife.

Given that Islamic law mandates that no marks be left, it's not as if we are talking about these folks being beaten to a bloody pulp (though maybe that happens in practice; it wouldn't surprise me). Point taken about the disciplining of the wife, though.

Yet even if Islamic law proscribes anything beyond simple corporal punishment, this strikes me as something that would likely be quite misogynistic in its implementation. If we are to be fair, either neither one of them can "discipline" the other or both husband & wife can "discipline" the other. Of course I would like to live in a society where hitting one's spouse is not permissible, so I would go with the former option.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 01:19:47 AM »

Given that Islamic law mandates that no marks be left, it's not as if we are talking about these folks being beaten to a bloody pulp (though maybe that happens in practice; it wouldn't surprise me). Point taken about the disciplining of the wife, though.

You know as well as I that it's more of a wink wink nudge nudge sort of thing.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 02:20:09 AM »

You know as well as I that it's more of a wink wink nudge nudge sort of thing.

Though Christianity could just as easily lend itself to that sort of thing with the Bible's recommendation of corporal punishment of children. I think any serious physical abuse that arises says more about the cultures practicing the religion than the religion itself.

On the other hand, religion is an important aspect of culture, so trying to seperate them in such a fashion is ultimately a rather dubious move. It's like trying to talk about politics independent of culture; an exercise with no real utility for it does not represent what we observe in the world.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 02:46:34 AM »
« Edited: October 23, 2010, 02:48:25 AM by sbane »

You know if you actually looked at the culture of places like these, this would make a lot more sense. Trying to blame a religion of a billion people for some judge's rulings aren't the right way to go, even if the justification used is Islam. I don't think these types of decisions would take place in Southeast Asia, for example. Of course it is from this exact culture that Islam sprung forth, so.......

By the way it is from this culture that Christianity and Judaism also came, so lol.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 10:17:14 AM »

It's legal in the UK to use "reasonable chastisement" on a child as well.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 11:33:12 AM »

None of us are saying Islam is the only religion that permits this sort of behaviour. Which is why the correct stance on the issue of religion is anti-theism.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 12:15:59 PM »

None of us are saying Islam is the only religion that permits this sort of behaviour. Which is why the correct stance on the issue of religion is anti-theism.

That's right.  Even if you like beating women and children, religion is still stupid.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 02:37:06 PM »

The UAE is a pretty terrible country. Aren't they known for treating their imported workers as near-slaves?

It will be quite hilarious when the oil money runs out and Dubai resembles Rome during the Middle Ages. I hope it happens within my lifetime.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 03:19:09 PM »

The UAE is a pretty terrible country. Aren't they known for treating their imported workers as near-slaves?

It will be quite hilarious when the oil money runs out and Dubai resembles Rome during the Middle Ages. I hope it happens within my lifetime.

Yeah, agreed totally. Dubai is a hive of degeneracy, and the inevitable fall will be a hard one.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 07:14:19 AM »

That's the entire Arabian peninsula.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies