Minnesota (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:13:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Minnesota (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Minnesota  (Read 10393 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: March 18, 2004, 05:43:25 PM »

Brambilla,
Coleman is a good man.  He was st paul mayor before he was Senator.  Back in the 90s Mayor Coleman made a major change for job growth, education, and security.  He became frustrated that the Democratic party he had been a part of from his youth had assumed the role of defenders of the status quo, he switched to the Republican party because he felt it held the best opportunity to bring about job growth.

But he will not be a guarantor for Bush, who may just win MN for other reasons like national security, terrorism, and Kerry's perceived lack of direction.  Minnesota is more 'Big River' than 'Farm Belt' for the moment, but that could change quickly.  Coleman should certainly campaign for him, as any help is a good thing, but it would be more like Arnold campaigning for Bush in Alameda County, I'd think.  
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 05:52:40 PM »

Most of my extended family live in MN.  They're all Democrats and are at least as scared of Bush as they were of Reagan.  Prairie populism describes it pretty well.  I gave a long rant a few nights ago and posted this moveon.org mailing that my Uncle, who was in the MN state legislature for about 12 years, sent to me.  They are all fairly concerned that MN may be a target for the Bush campaign.  The northern part of the state, where my parents grew up, is definitely Wellstone Country (even though he's from down around Little House on the Prairie land).  The southern and western parts of the state are more like Iowa.  Schools are pretty good statewide, and teacher's unions have a fairly powerful voice there.  I wouldn't think it's likely either that Bush will win, but the polls are close.  And the election results have been getting less and less one-sided over the years.  The GOP has a strong message, and if Bush can articulate it, he may have a shot.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 07:35:06 PM »

Yes pretty good, according to Morgan Quinto, who considers many factors, including revenue, graduation rate, test scores, among other things.  MN ranks 12th of 50.  Not bad.  By comparison MA is first; VT and CT are next; OH is near the middle; TX is 31st; FL is 40th; CA is 44th, MS and NV are tied for next-to-last; and NM is dead last.  My point about the schools was to suggest the power the teacher's unions in that state, most of whom support ABB.

Brambilla, as you can see from the posts, it's a longshot, but take a look at the 2000 map.  People will bring up the amorphous 'nader factor' but remember local girl winona laduke may have helped Nader, and in any case, the best estimates (38/26/36) nationwide suggests the 'nader factor' is overblown by bitter gore supporters.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/vote2000/cbc/map.htm
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2004, 01:45:45 AM »

Perot took away from both sides, as nader did, just slightly more from one side than the other.  I have a colleague that voted for gore and will vote for kerry, but told me he voted for Perot in 1992.  I knew someone back about 12 years ago who could make a good argument for perot being a 'liberal'  I know it's weird that a multi-billioinaire could be described as liberal, but the fact remains that he supported many, many positions that are now assigned to that rather arbitrary label.  Perot's biggest problem was that he claimed that Government was a business and "...should be run like a business..."  Bushies will all claim Perot 'stole' votes away from Bush in 92 just as the Gore people will claim Nader 'stole' votes away from him in 2000, if good campaigning can be called 'stealing'  
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 07:45:42 PM »

It is not.  Former Mayor Ed Koch (a Democrat) also supports the re-election of the incumbent president.
http://www.thevillager.com/villager_22/whatshedoin.html

Maybe he really has a raging hard-on for GWB, or maybe he just can't stand the Dems (I certainly wouldn't hold that against him):
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/2/18/132439.shtml

The no spin zone version is also telling:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,109858,00.html

Care for a sample?

O'REILLY:  The Democrats are taking an internationalist tact.  You know that.  I mean Kerry and...

KOCH:  Isolationist.

O'REILLY:  I don't think it's isolationist so much.  They want a consensus before they act overseas.

KOCH:  Let me just say the people who are against Bush -- I mean they're running for president, these people, so they have to be critical, but I believe that the people who are against Bush and the major sector of the Democrats who favor Kerry and the others do it because they hate Bush.  It has...

O'REILLY:  No, they...

KOCH:  I mean it's like they hated Reagan.  I didn't vote for Reagan, and I didn't vote for Bush, but the lack of respect for the country, for the presidency -- it offends me.

O'REILLY:  It offends me, too.  The lack of respect for the Office of the Presidency...

KOCH:  Yes.

O'REILLY:  ... calling him a liar and all this other stuff.

KOCH:  I think it's an outrage.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2004, 11:30:22 PM »

Go Packers!  Do you expect Mark Green to be a serious US senate contender in '06?  This is exactly what we ought to be saying:  "My deepest sympathies and condolences go out to the Spanish people during this time of great tragedy.  As Americans, we know all too well the pain and sorrow that accompany these ruthless acts of terror, and we stand in solidarity with Spain as they seek those responsible."

No one is suggesting that the GOP should spend money trying to gain the 31 votes from New York.  I just consider Ed Koch one of my personal heroes lately and I wanted to share the good news.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2004, 11:58:56 PM »

Look, I started that.  On behalf of only myself I do not think you're full of hatred; just letting off steam over all the bs thought-police emotional brutality of the new authoritarian Left.  Don't go away or invite me to.  Or others.  An who may follow my poor example of immediately attacking all Democrats.  This was a civil forum, as has been pointed out, but on stomping grounds such as Minnesota, people sometimes get nasty.  Expect more negativity as the months progress.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2004, 12:49:54 PM »

Look, I started that.  On behalf of only myself I do not think you're full of hatred; just letting off steam over all the bs thought-police emotional brutality of the new authoritarian Left.  Don't go away or invite me to.  Or others.  An who may follow my poor example of immediately attacking all Democrats.  This was a civil forum, as has been pointed out, but on stomping grounds such as Minnesota, people sometimes get nasty.  Expect more negativity as the months progress.

Angus, I just wanted to tell you that I forwarded your apologies to Michael, and he accepted them and also apoligized for his overreaction and asked me to forward that. Just so you know... Smiley

Spread the love, man.  Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies