Civil Rights Act of 1964
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:58:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Civil Rights Act of 1964
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Was it constitutional?
Yes
No
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Civil Rights Act of 1964  (Read 2512 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 13, 2004, 10:22:20 PM »

Even though I would have a hard time voting against this thing, I do believe it was unconstitutional
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 10:24:41 PM »

Why do you believe it was unconstitutional?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004, 10:26:05 PM »

Congress has only limited, not general, powers. What part of the Constitution authorizes it?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2004, 10:31:29 PM »

well, i don't think any part of the constitution forbids it
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2004, 10:31:50 PM »

The "General Welfare" Clause IMO authorised the Civil Rights Act.

The civil rights act essentially sought to uphold rights guaranteed to the people in the federal Constitution. I certainly think its in the General Welfare that people's rights are upheld.

Whilst I don't subscribe to the massive stretch on the General Welfare clause (and other clauses) that has been achieved, I certainly believe upholding the Bill of Rights falls within the scope of Congress's legislative authority.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2004, 10:34:25 PM »

well, i don't think any part of the constitution forbids it

Thats not a reason for the Congress to be able to do something. By the Tenth amendment, all powers not delegated to the United States, nor denied to the States, are reserved to the States or the people respectively. If the Constitution doesn't say Congress can do it, then Congress can't do it. I do not think it needs to be an explicit enumeration, unlike Philip, though.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2004, 10:36:30 PM »

What general welfare clause? Surely you don't mean the preamble?!

If Congress was not meant to have specifically enumerated powers, there wouldn't be specifically enumerated powers in the first place.

The Civil Rights Act doesn't really have anything to do with the Bill of Rights.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2004, 10:49:06 PM »

The other general welfare clause deals only with taxation.

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2004, 10:55:47 PM »

It is an power of the Congress to promote the general welfare through taxation (see Article I Section 8 Clause 1), therefore, the Congress may pass legislation pursuant to the promotion of the general welfare. This is further reinforced by the preamble which gives the federal government a general mandate to promote the general welfare.

The Civil Rights Act, amongst other things, sought to:
Stop blacks being denied the vote (clearly upholding the 15th)
Stopped federal funding being used in discriminatory programmes (upholding the 14ths guarantee of equal protection)
And ended discrimination by entities providing public services or employment on basis of race (another enforcement of the 14th)

Whilst I concede these are not in the Bill of Rights when we talk about the first 10 amendments, I often (for what reason I'm not sure) think of all the Rights giving amendments as part of the Bill of Rights subconciously. Watch out for that, it'll probably happen again at some point.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2004, 11:05:32 PM »

Wrong. It can only tax for the general welfare.

Also, it can't spend for the general welfare, which is extremely important to remember (Social Security, Medicare).

The preamble is not a legal provision of any kind. It is simply a statement of, "we're setting this up for the general welfare." It could well be, "this document is being put in place to promote the general welfare by establishing a limited federal government with only specific powers."

The Civil Rights Act, as I understand it, did a lot more than what you list.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2004, 11:13:22 PM »

Wrong. It can only tax for the general welfare.

Also, it can't spend for the general welfare, which is extremely important to remember (Social Security, Medicare).

Actually you are wrong.

Article I Section 8 Clause 1: "The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States".

The Congress's power is to collect Taxes and then to use these taxes to pay debts, provide for defence and for general welfare.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Whilst you are correct that it does not provide any legal authorisation per se, it does provide the federal government with a moral mandate to do what is contained within it. The general welfare clause comes up again in the enumerated powers section, so its a moot point anyway.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Hence me saying "amongst other things". I'm not a historical expert as to the Civil Rights Act, so I just read a quick synoposis; I'm sure it did other progressive things that you hate.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2004, 11:14:35 PM »

The 14th Amendment gave Congress the power.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2004, 11:17:11 PM »

Peter, please do consider that the document was written in the language of the time. The vernacular has changed over the years since it was written. Somehow, I don't think 'welfare' would conjure the same image for them as it does for us.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2004, 11:20:14 PM »
« Edited: November 13, 2004, 11:22:09 PM by Philip »

Right. In other words, Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties imposts, and excises to pay the debts. AND Congress shall have the power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises to provide for the common defence and general welfare of the United States. Now, obviously that implies that it's going to be spent, but it has to be spent as dictated below. It does not say that all Debts are legal.

Go back and read the Federalist papers.

The "other things" in it would be the unconstitutional part.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2004, 11:22:50 PM »

The 14th Amendment gave Congress the power.

The 14th amendment doesn't mention private property in any way.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2004, 07:12:49 AM »

Peter, please do consider that the document was written in the language of the time. The vernacular has changed over the years since it was written. Somehow, I don't think 'welfare' would conjure the same image for them as it does for us.

In reading the Constitution I take "general welfare" to mean "common good" as I believe this is what the Framers meant. I think that it is in the common good that we all have our rights protected by the government. As to the modern meaning of welfare: I'm not a particularly great fan of the Congress for doing what it has done, though I'm more annoyed at them for the Commerce clause.

Thanks to JJ for reminding us that in fact the 14th Amendment actually does authorise the US Congress to enforce the civil rights to the individual states, I completely forgot about that. The 15th Amendment similarly authorised the Congress to act to enforce it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies