WI: PPP: Johnson +9 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:37:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  2010 Senatorial Election Polls
  WI: PPP: Johnson +9 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WI: PPP: Johnson +9  (Read 4981 times)
mypalfish
Rookie

« on: October 28, 2010, 10:54:51 PM »

Preferably Kohl retires in 2012 and Feingold wins that seat in what will hopefully be a more favorable environment.

Maybe?

Especially since it looks like the whole Wisconsin Democratic Party is going to be annihilated this election cycle.

I'm not a fan of Feingold, and think the whole "maverick" schtick is a bunch of crap, but he would be a much better Senator than Herb Kohl.  He wanted that seat basically as a hobby, just "something  to do."  Maybe if he wakes up from his nap, he'll decide to retire.

As far as Feingold running for Governor, Scott Walker will be very tough to beat.  A Democrat in Wisconsin needs about 60% out of Milwaukee County to win statewide.  Walker has won Milwaukee County as County Executive (in blowouts), and it would be tough for any Democrat to get the necessary votes there to beat him statewide.  
mypalfish
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 11:15:02 PM »

Yeah, this is a done deal... no doubt about it now. The man has been one of the best Senators ever. Period. I just hope he can keep the margin respectable (within single digits).

I'm really curious.  Why do you (and others not from WI) think Feingold was a great Senator?  I'm not sure if you would still hold that opinion if you saw the footage from his town halls in 09, when he would roll his eyes and sigh at his constituents concerns about the upcoming passage of Obamacare.  That didn't work for Al Gore and it began the slide of Russ Feingold in the polls.  He was arrogant smug to the extreme, an he's paying for it now.  

The whole Feingold phenomenon is fascinating to me.  The national press loves him.  The local press adores him.  I can't recall a single critical story, or even semi-critical, in his entire tenure in Washington.  But he's never been that popular locally.  He ran a great underdog campaign to beat Kasten, but was fortunate to beat Mark Neumann in 98 when Neumann had the lead (around 2pts) with a few weeks to go but ran out of money and nearly went black and didn't make up for it by campaigning harder and lost by 2.  Then he beat the underfunded Tim Michels (who ran a non-existent race) by spending him into oblivion.  But I never sensed the affection that Herb Kohl gets (God knows why...probably because he saved the Bucks).  
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies