Would you consider this person an evangelical? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:40:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Would you consider this person an evangelical? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you consider the person described below evangelical?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Would you consider this person an evangelical?  (Read 12389 times)
NHPolitico

« on: November 14, 2004, 09:16:43 PM »

Neither Methodists nor Episcopalians are evangelicals. Evangelicals claim to be born again. They are much more conservative than those two liberal denominations.
NHPolitico

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 02:13:41 PM »

I have a confession to make. The guy's name isn't Steve, it's George. He was born in Connecticut, moved to Texas, and now he lives in Washington D.C.(1600 Pennsylvania Ave. to be exact).

Still think he isn't evangelical?

Bush is a Methodist in Name Only. He goes to the United Methodist Church, but he's no true fit in the national United Methodist Church at all.  The early Methodists were more fundamentalist and fanatical and that tradition is where Bush belongs. John Wesley was an evangelical Methodist. Those kind of Methodists have left the church now and are in other denominations.  Bush is an evangelical. He's not a Methodist, though. Bush is a Southern Baptist like Billy Graham.
NHPolitico

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 02:23:02 PM »

I still say it depends on your definition.  I was trying to get someone to give me one.  I found several in the dictionary that fit, but I'd like to hear a good definition from a person who really considers themselves to be an evangelical christian.  If such a person could provide a definition, then maybe we could put this issue to rest.

1. An emphasis on the conversion experience. The conversion is also called being 'saved' or the "new birth" or being "born again" after John 3:3 (Evangelicals are sometimes referred to as "born-again Christians" because of this emphasis.)

2. The use of the Bible as the primary and infallible source of God's revelation to man, and therefore the ultimate religious authority.

3. Encourage evangelism, that is the act of sharing one's beliefs in the gospel with others in order to convince them to convert, either in organized missionary work or through personal evangelism.

4. A central focus on Christ's redeeming work on the cross, especially as the means for salvation and the forgiveness of sins.

No one would view these as central tenets of modern Methodism.
NHPolitico

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 03:47:43 PM »

By the way NHpolitico, I believe Clinton was the only Southern Baptist president we have had.  As far as I know, Bush is not.

My point was that he is regardless of what he calls himself.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies