Would you consider this person an evangelical? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:48:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Would you consider this person an evangelical? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you consider the person described below evangelical?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Would you consider this person an evangelical?  (Read 12375 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« on: November 14, 2004, 05:06:09 PM »

There is a guy named Steve. He was raised a Methodist and is still a member of The United Methodist Church. On Sunday's he attends an Episcopal church. When he visits his Catholic brother he attends a Catholic church, where he is friends with the priest there. He has never spoken ill of another Christian denomination. He has never claimed to be a part of the Christian-right, nor has he ever affiliated himself with any evangelical group. He has never belonged to an evangelical church in his life.

He does however pray regularly, and is open about his faith. He often seeks guidance in the Bible. For this he is accused of being a fundamentalist wacko, a follower of Robertson and Falwell.

Is he evangelical?

Well, no, since the definition of an "evangelical" is one who is "a member of an evangelical church or party" and you explicitly stated that he wasn't.

I wouldn't care if he was, though.  An evangelical church, as defined in Dictionary.com, is simply one "that stresses personal conversion and salvation by faith."  It sounds from the look of it that that group would actually be against converting other people, making the label very false when it's attached to people like Jerry Falwell.

Of course, there's another definition of "evangelical" that says, "Characterized by ardent or crusading enthusiasm; zealous", which would fit Jerry Falwell, although I'm not sure which came first: the label or the defintion.

At any rate, I hate labels.  Labels are overrated.  Labels mean nothing.  Labels are the antithesis of rational discourse, and, as such, I go out of my way to make sure that I neither use them nor make judgements based upon them.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 01:39:06 PM »

And if your religion says that there is only way to God, I would definitely try to get the word out. There's a difference between being open about your faith and "forcing" it on someone.

I don't have a problem with people that talk about their religion.  Who I have a problem with is people that try to convert me every single time they see me even after I've said that I'm not interested.  It's like getting spam that you can't delete before reading.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies