Least Favorite Senator and Congressman
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:07:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Least Favorite Senator and Congressman
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Least Favorite Senator and Congressman  (Read 1664 times)
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2009, 10:00:31 PM »

Senator: Robert Byrd

Congresswoman: Michele Bachmann

At least Bachmann is advancing our agenda, unlike the spineless Pelosi.  You, as a Republican, just can't say that Bachmann is worse than that swine.

Bachmann is a flip-flopper, a liar, a crazy Christian, and a personally revolting individual.

Pelosi is just a standard San Francisco liberal who happens to be in leadership.

Sure, in terms of ideology, I suppose I'm closer to Bachmann (shudders), but I still personally prefer Pelosi, and the other 433 members of Congress.

Pelosi is actively working to shrink the Republican Party and promote the Obama agenda.  Bachmann made a stupid gaffe on MSNBC.  You can make the choice for which one is worse.

Gaffe is an understatement...

Beyond that, I would like to say that the world Michele Bachmann would like to create is almost as scary, if not equally scary, as the world Nancy Pelosi would like to create, in my opinion... and since it's my opinion we seem to be debating, it's the only thing that counts.
You're afraid of social and fiscal conservatism? Why the hell are you a Republican, then? I don't see how Bachmann is particularly extreme on either social or economic issues.

The fiscal conservatism I'm fine with, although she's not a particularly committed fiscal conservative, it seems to be more of a convenience for her (Like McCain's social conservatism).

As for her social conservatism... well, I'm not wild about run-of-the-mill social conservatism, but her social conservatism borders crazy theocratic social conservatism... and that does scare me.

I would think that she is like the majority of the GOP:

http://www.ontheissues.org/House/Michele_Bachmann.htm

Huh

I don't know... I've heard a lot of that disturbing "CHRISTIAN PATRIOT!!!" rhetoric from her, but maybe the majority of Midwestern Republican Reps. are like that and I just don't get exposed to it.

I don't know if it's just me, but boiler plate like that doesn't bother me in the least.  Fiscal matters matter the most to me, and I know for one that she is sound and Nancy Pelosi is not. Smiley

Well on that I can pretty much agree with you... she flip-flopped on a tobacco tax in the State Senate, really pissed the MN Taxpayers Association/Union/whatever off... but other than that she seems pretty in line...

I know it's irrational, but rhetoric often bothers me more than actions... if you're gonna vote for a Federal Marriage Amendment, fine... I disagree, but whatever, you're a social conservative... but when people start saying homosexuality is a "sexual disorder", that just miffs me.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2009, 10:06:29 PM »

At least Bachmann is advancing our agenda, unlike the spineless Pelosi.  You, as a Republican, just can't say that Bachmann is worse than that swine.

Bachmann is a flip-flopper, a liar, a crazy Christian, and a personally revolting individual.

Pelosi is just a standard San Francisco liberal who happens to be in leadership.

Sure, in terms of ideology, I suppose I'm closer to Bachmann (shudders), but I still personally prefer Pelosi, and the other 433 members of Congress.

Pelosi is actively working to shrink the Republican Party and promote the Obama agenda.  Bachmann made a stupid gaffe on MSNBC.  You can make the choice for which one is worse.

Beyond that, I would like to say that the world Michele Bachmann would like to create is almost as scary, if not equally scary, as the world Nancy Pelosi would like to create, in my opinion... and since it's my opinion we seem to be debating, it's the only thing that counts.
You're afraid of social and fiscal conservatism? Why the hell are you a Republican, then? I don't see how Bachmann is particularly extreme on either social or economic issues.

The fiscal conservatism I'm fine with, although she's not a particularly committed fiscal conservative, it seems to be more of a convenience for her (Like McCain's social conservatism).

As for her social conservatism... well, I'm not wild about run-of-the-mill social conservatism, but her social conservatism borders crazy theocratic social conservatism... and that does scare me.

Huh

I don't know... I've heard a lot of that disturbing "CHRISTIAN PATRIOT!!!" rhetoric from her, but maybe the majority of Midwestern Republican Reps. are like that and I just don't get exposed to it.

I don't know if it's just me, but boiler plate like that doesn't bother me in the least.  Fiscal matters matter the most to me, and I know for one that she is sound and Nancy Pelosi is not. Smiley

Well on that I can pretty much agree with you... she flip-flopped on a tobacco tax in the State Senate, really pissed the MN Taxpayers Association/Union/whatever off... but other than that she seems pretty in line...

I know it's irrational, but rhetoric often bothers me more than actions... if you're gonna vote for a Federal Marriage Amendment, fine... I disagree, but whatever, you're a social conservative... but when people start saying homosexuality is a "sexual disorder", that just miffs me.

Hey, whoa, hey.  I'm hardly a social conservative -- in fact, I was in the minus the last time I took the test.

Gay marriage is something that I am very neutral about.  I would be content if it is legal or not.  In my brain, I believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman, but my heart tells me "the hell with it". Smiley
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2009, 10:08:02 PM »

The Club for Growth gave her a 98% rating in 2007, one of the highest in the House. Sounds pretty fiscally conservative to me.

She voted against PAYGO... that and the tobacco tax thing were really the basis of my statement... I'll admit now that I spoke to soon.

I would like to add, though, that pro-growth and fiscal conservatism are not synonymous, and are occasionally contradictory.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2009, 10:09:08 PM »

Huh

Hey, whoa, hey.  I'm hardly a social conservative -- in fact, I was in the minus the last time I took the test.

Gay marriage is something that I am very neutral about.  I would be content if it is legal or not.  In my brain, I believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman, but my heart tells me "the hell with it". Smiley

Oh no, you misunderstood... I was using "you" very generally.

I apologize if I unintentionally put positions in your mouth, so to speak.

Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2009, 10:31:32 PM »

Probably Ted Kennedy from the Senate. Can't go wrong saying Pelosi from the House.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies