MN-8: SUSA sez Oberstar 47, Cravaack 46
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:54:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  2010 House Election Polls
  MN-8: SUSA sez Oberstar 47, Cravaack 46
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: MN-8: SUSA sez Oberstar 47, Cravaack 46  (Read 10556 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 29, 2010, 11:49:22 PM »

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=5fc5872d-1780-4b0f-b134-241d0caac1a9
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 10:26:14 AM »

This does not surprise me, but apparently it surprises most of the political class. Where's BRTD?  Smiley  Anyway, like magic RCP bounces MN-8 into the tossup category, as its over/under number bounces up to 65.

If I had to guess, Oberstar is going down. His handling of the nexus of abortion and HCR combined with the environment, and his marginal district, is just a bit too much for him I suspect.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 10:29:48 AM »

This strikes me as the type of district where SUSA's GOP bias comes in. All their accurate House polls were in the suburbs.

This district isn't really marginal, no Republican has carried it since 1994 (by that I'm referring to statewide candidates. Coleman, Pawlenty, all downballot Republicans all lost it every time they ran.)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 10:35:46 AM »

Good.  Cravaaaaaaaaaaack is another good Republican.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 10:45:33 AM »

Could this mean that MN-07 is also in danger? Geographically similar, with MN-07 being very Republican, relatively.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 10:50:28 AM »

Could this mean that MN-07 is also in danger? Geographically similar, with MN-07 being very Republican, relatively.

No, the Dem incumbent (Peterson I think his name is) there does his own thing, and the big Blue Babe district marches to its own drummer. It is sort of like ME-2, quite idiosyncratic. Heck, that global warming skeptic Snowguy lives there.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 10:58:36 AM »

Another odd SurveyUSA House poll. The district is more Democratic leaning than it's PVI indicates.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 11:02:25 AM »

This strikes me as the type of district where SUSA's GOP bias comes in. All their accurate House polls were in the suburbs.

This district isn't really marginal, no Republican has carried it since 1994 (by that I'm referring to statewide candidates. Coleman, Pawlenty, all downballot Republicans all lost it every time they ran.)

If Oberstar were less entrenched, he would probably be toast. He's vulnerable though, because the pro lifers are after him as a traitor to the cause. MN-8 has been steadily trending GOP. Obama carried it by an unimpressive 54-46 (just a tad more than his national margin), and the national swing this year from 2008 will swamp that spread.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 11:03:04 AM »

Another odd SurveyUSA House poll. The district is more Democratic leaning than it's PVI indicates.

But it also seems like the kind of place that one would assume would trend hard Republican this year, no?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 11:08:13 AM »
« Edited: October 30, 2010, 11:10:52 AM by He flooded the land then he set it on fire »

Tons of pro-choice candidates have won this district and it elects tons of pro-choicers on the local level. Abortion is not that big of an issue here. The pro-lifers who don't like Oberstar are the ones who normally vote Republican anyway and I doubt they voted for Al Franken (who carried the district.)

But it also seems like the kind of place that one would assume would trend hard Republican this year, no?

I'd bet the Tea Party is about as popular in Duluth as it is where I live.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 11:12:55 AM »

Tons of pro-choice candidates have won this district and it elects tons of pro-choicers on the local level. Abortion is not that big of an issue here. The pro-lifers who don't like Oberstar are the ones who normally vote Republican anyway and I doubt they voted for Al Franken (who carried the district.)

I'd bet the Tea Party is about as popular in Duluth as it is where I live.

Rural, blue collar, white, etc
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 11:20:22 AM »

Duluth isn't rural, nor is it particularly more blue collar than most places really.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 11:26:17 AM »

Duluth isn't rural, nor is it particularly more blue collar than most places really.

I was referring to the district as a whole.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 12:42:42 PM »

I suppose a shockingly close result isn't out of the question (Oberstar is getting on and that's not a good thing when a big swing is on) but I have trouble seeing this, especially with Dayton leading in the polls (however narrowly). I mean, obviously, if it is anywhere near this close or if (heaven forbid) Oberstar actually loses then we're dealing with a landslide and - probably - a near total Democratic collapse in the Mid West.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 12:52:06 PM »

MN-8 has been steadily trending GOP. Obama carried it by an unimpressive 54-46 (just a tad more than his national margin),

Mmm... hmm... that's true enough and part of the decades-long general shift in the geography of Democratic support as the party morphs into something other than the odd coalition it used to be (part pale imitation of a social democratic party (the relevant part in this case), part party-of-the-rural-south). But the change here has been slower than in most other mining areas and the old base vote less prone to fracture and rebel.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 01:15:30 PM »

MN-8 has been steadily trending GOP. Obama carried it by an unimpressive 54-46 (just a tad more than his national margin),

Mmm... hmm... that's true enough and part of the decades-long general shift in the geography of Democratic support as the party morphs into something other than the odd coalition it used to be (part pale imitation of a social democratic party (the relevant part in this case), part party-of-the-rural-south). But the change here has been slower than in most other mining areas and the old base vote less prone to fracture and rebel.

Some of the trend is due to the iron range having a lower and lower percentage slice of the district, and the Twin City exurbs having a higher and higher slice, due to population shifts. It is just a matter of time before the GOP margins in the southern part of the district over-match the Dem ones in the north, given current voting patterns. So are the iron range folks going to vote has heavily as the exurban folks vis a vis the past, and in particular 2008? We shall see.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 01:58:58 PM »

Yeah, there is a shift in the population balance in the district and we can expect this to have an impact on its politics. But it's not as dramatic as you think. In 2000 St. Louis county made up 32.6% of the district, that was down to 30.4% by 2006-2008. The two main Twin Cities commuting counties made up 11.8% in 2000, up in 2006-2008 to 13.7%.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 02:07:40 PM »

I suppose a shockingly close result isn't out of the question (Oberstar is getting on and that's not a good thing when a big swing is on) but I have trouble seeing this, especially with Dayton leading in the polls (however narrowly). I mean, obviously, if it is anywhere near this close or if (heaven forbid) Oberstar actually loses then we're dealing with a landslide and - probably - a near total Democratic collapse in the Mid West.

They were already going to be slaughtered, the question is by how much.

Interesting, though, how much things change so quickly. Obama did very well in the Midwest, surprisingly well, in fact.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 08:50:46 PM »

Obama did very well in the Midwest, surprisingly well, in fact.

Which is why the trend against the Democrats is strongest here.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 09:26:33 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2010, 09:29:42 PM by He flooded the land then he set it on fire »

Yeah, there is a shift in the population balance in the district and we can expect this to have an impact on its politics. But it's not as dramatic as you think. In 2000 St. Louis county made up 32.6% of the district, that was down to 30.4% by 2006-2008. The two main Twin Cities commuting counties made up 11.8% in 2000, up in 2006-2008 to 13.7%.

Yeah I was about to point that out. There's three State Senate seats in the northeastern corner from Duluth onward. There's one in the exurbs. And it's held by a Democrat (though he's likely losing no doubt.) Also not everywhere is working class, in addition to Duluth liberals you have some latte liberal types along the coast. Cook County is a huge latte liberal haven, as are some northern towns like Ely.

Anyway reports from a local progressive blog show that Oberstar and the Iron Range machine are definitely gearing up for a strong GOTV movement.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2010, 09:57:24 PM »

They were already going to be slaughtered, the question is by how much.

To merely lose seats is not to be slaughtered. To be slaughtered is when you lose a load of places that you have (or at least had) no business losing in.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ever thought these things may be related in some way?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2010, 02:12:12 AM »

Speaking of which it doesn't appear to be as bad here as elsewhere or else Emmer might lead in some polls.

Now I know the standard reply will be that he's a bad candidate...but the whole point is that if it's so bad you don't have to be a good candidate to win. Sharron Angle obviously isn't a good candidate (though granted she'd also be losing to basically anyone except Reid.) And Al did make a good point in that Dayton has to be way further ahead in this district than these numbers.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2010, 10:08:07 AM »

Yes, the swing seems more muted in Minnesota than the rest of the Great Lakes states.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2010, 11:26:11 AM »

http://mncampaignreport.com/diary/7634/cravaack-campaign-crumbling-in-cd-8
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2010, 12:30:15 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ever thought these things may be related in some way?

Well, Obama was a sort of hometown hero.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies