PLEASE SAY IT AIN'T SO. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:22:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  PLEASE SAY IT AIN'T SO. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PLEASE SAY IT AIN'T SO.  (Read 9343 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« on: October 31, 2010, 06:52:47 AM »

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 02:21:22 PM »

I don't believe the Senate itself voted on the ConCon, so I don't think you could classify BK's actions as Senate business. Which is very, very regrettable. I hope he has a suitable explanation.

First one to be booted due to innactivity since DWTL in May 2009.

Which is how I ended up taking office and starting my legislative legacy here in Atlasia. A moment to be remembered forever. Tongue

Damn you DWTL!!!!!!! Tongue

This man caused more suffering to Atlasia than Kyle Mercado.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 02:29:28 PM »

I don't believe the Senate itself voted on the ConCon, so I don't think you could classify BK's actions as Senate business. Which is very, very regrettable. I hope he has a suitable explanation.

Which is how I ended up taking office and starting my legislative legacy here in Atlasia. A moment to be remembered forever. Tongue

Ego will always be Atlasia's worst enemy. Why does it matter who's ego it was at any given time?

Well, the ego is, usually, best displayed at internet games, as we can see.

However, the lack of ego and action can be Atlasia enemy: see Bacon King.

How about begining of the new Senate session with skinning him alive at the floor, Mr. PPT?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 03:05:39 PM »

Ego will always be Atlasia's worst enemy. Why does it matter who's ego it was at any given time?

Well, the ego is, usually, best displayed at internet games, as we can see.

However, the lack of ego and action can be Atlasia enemy: see Bacon King.

How about begining of the new Senate session with skinning him alive at the floor, Mr. PPT?

How about one of the current Senators that is innactive. Tongue

Which one is he?

(Disclaimer: using "he" is not a male chauvinism, there are no chick in the Senate Tongue)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 07:02:49 PM »

OK, we have a great confusion here.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 07:06:41 PM »

I don't see why the courts would even need to examine this, as it seems clear cut to me. Bacon King went for 3 straight weeks without posting, and by law, he is no longer a Senator, regardless of what the PPT does.

As much as I think Bacon King should stay in the Senate, we'd be setting a bad precedent by breaking the law in order to keep him in there. Sad If he wants to stay in, he can always run in the special election.

That would I think be a fair compromise. Let the vacancy stand and then have BK run in the special. Its not like he would have a problem winning the special as a JCPer.

Sounds reasonable.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 07:46:16 PM »

"The hour of our triumph"

"An hour's work"

"The hour of reckoning"

"Hours and hours"

Troll.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 09:31:21 PM »

(and I am aware that this means DWTL was improperly removed)

Please, do not invite him back!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 09:44:55 PM »

The facts are clear.  1 day = 24 hours.  End of story.  If the law meant "day" as something other than a unit of time, then it would have said something different (i.e. "calendar day").  Otherwise when a unit of time is referred to in a law, it is generally assumed to refer to that unit of time, and not to some colloquialism.

So let me explain to you why you are wrong.

Article I, Section 3, Clause 1 of the Constitution (both old and new) allows the Senate to form its own rules and regulations and to expel a member by a two-thirds vote.

The Senate does so in the Senate Rules, Regulations, and Procedures (OSPR), which is not a law, but rather an internal Senate document.

From a constitutional standpoint, you are wrong because Article 11, Clause 1 of the OSPR can only be enforced in accordance with the Constitution. So, when Article 11, Clause 1 becomes "active," the Senate must still vote to vacate a senator's seat by a two-thirds vote. The OSPR is simply a guideline, not a rule that can trump the Constitution. When this clause is broken (and I am aware that this means DWTL was improperly removed), the Senate should then be informed and move into a vote on removing the senator in question. That process should actually be spelled out more clearly by the Senate to avoid confusion.

From an internal Senate point of view, you are wrong because the OSPR in Article I, Section 1 asserts that the purpose of these rules "is to provide the Senate with detailed, yet flexible rules for parliamentary procedure." Article 11, Clause 1 of the OSPR says the seat will be vacated after a period of absence or neglect of "not less than 21 days." The wording of that clause, together with the professed purpose of flexibility in Article I means that the Senate and PPT have flexibility in enforcing their own guidelines. Again, the OSPR is not law, as they are not subject to presidential veto. If the Senate decides to shirk its own guidelines, that is up to them.

Why are you a JCP hack, Purple State? Tongue

Hey, Marokai, what else is he, a party veteran, supoused to be? Tongue
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 09:11:08 PM »

Ok, I won't take a stance in this dispute because, it's appears, we're in a grey zone. I encourage Senators to specify this stuff, so it won't happen in future.

Meanwhile, Bacon appears to be active again... and he better remains active, because otherwise I'll be pissed off
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies