PLEASE SAY IT AIN'T SO. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:36:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  PLEASE SAY IT AIN'T SO. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PLEASE SAY IT AIN'T SO.  (Read 9345 times)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« on: October 31, 2010, 07:11:28 PM »

I don't see why the courts would even need to examine this, as it seems clear cut to me. Bacon King went for 3 straight weeks without posting, and by law, he is no longer a Senator, regardless of what the PPT does.

As much as I think Bacon King should stay in the Senate, we'd be setting a bad precedent by breaking the law in order to keep him in there. Sad If he wants to stay in, he can always run in the special election.

That would I think be a fair compromise. Let the vacancy stand and then have BK run in the special. Its not like he would have a problem winning the special as a JCPer.

Sounds reasonable.

It's not reasonable at all and I would caution against falling for that trap. Coming off the heels of three weeks of inactivity wouldn't make him an attractive choice for people to vote for. The right would put up a moderate and/or likable figure and then demolish him with this as an issue.

That's funny, Marokai.  I was under the impression that you were a really big fan of democracy.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 07:26:33 PM »

day /deɪ/ [dey]  –noun
1. the interval of light between two successive nights; the time between sunrise and sunset: Since there was no artificial illumination, all activities had to be carried on during the day.
2. the light of day; daylight: The owl sleeps by day and feeds by night.
3. Astronomy. a. Also called mean solar day. a division of time equal to 24 hours and representing the average length of the period during which the earth makes one rotation on its axis.
b. Also called solar day. a division of time equal to the time elapsed between two consecutive returns of the same terrestrial meridian to the sun.
c. Also called civil day. a division of time equal to 24 hours but reckoned from one midnight to the next. Compare lunar day, sidereal day.
4. an analogous division of time for a planet other than the earth: the Martian day.
5. the portion of a day allotted to work: an eight-hour day.
6. day on which something occurs: the day we met.
7. (often initial capital letter) a day assigned to a particular purpose or observance: New Year's Day.
8. a time considered as propitious or opportune: His day will come.
9. a day of contest or the contest itself: to win the day.
10. Often, days. a particular time or period: the present day; in days of old.
11. Usually, days. period of life or activity: His days are numbered.
12. period of existence, power, or influence: in the day of the dinosaurs.
13. light

—Idioms

14. call it a day, to stop one's activity for the day or for the present; quit temporarily: After rewriting the paper, she decided to call it a day.
15. day in, day out, every day without fail; regularly: They endured the noise and dirt of the city day in, day out. Also, day in and day out.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 07:30:16 PM »

But just below that, wormguy: "c. Also called civil day. a division of time equal to 24 hours but reckoned from one midnight to the next. Compare lunar day, sidereal day."

Active clause.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 07:34:03 PM »

Well, I don't think "hour" really means "hour."  I think you need to say "3600 seconds."
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 07:38:40 PM »

"The hour of our triumph"

"An hour's work"

"The hour of reckoning"

"Hours and hours"
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 07:40:36 PM »

"The hour of our triumph."

"An hour's work"

"The hour of reckoning"

"Hours and hours"

What?

Those are figures of speech and not anything that would ever appear in a legal text.

Exactly my point.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 07:45:37 PM »
« Edited: October 31, 2010, 07:48:20 PM by BEWARE OF WARREN REDLICH! »

"The hour of our triumph."

"An hour's work"

"The hour of reckoning"

"Hours and hours"

What?

Those are figures of speech and not anything that would ever appear in a legal text.

Exactly my point.

If the point was that you don't have a clue what the hell you're talking about and you're sticking around just to be a thorn in everyone's side for no reason, then point made.

Well, my understanding of the definition of "day" was that it refers to a period of 24 hours, or 1440 minutes, or 86400 seconds, or 7.94243385x10^14 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom.

Your understanding of the word day seems to be that it refers to "whatever is most beneficial to the Jesus Christ Party."
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 07:49:25 PM »

Show me one example where you took a position not beneficial to your party.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 08:04:56 PM »

That took you 10 minutes to find.  Finding an irritating individual irritating or acting like a hack and then acting less like a hack to avoid embarrassment after the majority opinion has already been written does not make you not a hack.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 09:09:14 PM »

The facts are clear.  1 day = 24 hours.  End of story.  If the law meant "day" as something other than a unit of time, then it would have said something different (i.e. "calendar day").  Otherwise when a unit of time is referred to in a law, it is generally assumed to refer to that unit of time, and not to some colloquialism.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 09:38:28 PM »

So your party's own ethics rules applies to other parties but not to your own.  That's nice.  When a member of your party breaks both the letter and the spirit of the rule, then it's "flexible."  When a member of right-wing party breaks those same ethics rules, then they have to be implemented immediately.

Whatevs.  You guys are insufferable.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies