NATIONAL SENATE/HOUSE RESULTS THREAD (LATE RESULTS/POSTMORTEM)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:37:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NATIONAL SENATE/HOUSE RESULTS THREAD (LATE RESULTS/POSTMORTEM)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 62
Poll
Question: Who won the 2010 election?
Republicans

Democrats

Neither Party

Both Parties

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 78

Author Topic: NATIONAL SENATE/HOUSE RESULTS THREAD (LATE RESULTS/POSTMORTEM)  (Read 157908 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1000 on: November 03, 2010, 11:47:22 AM »

I think the problem with Oberstar was age and how long he had been in office. That's one of the seats they should win back in 2012 if the environment is even slightly better.

Except, as BRTD said, the district might not exist in 2012 - and probably won't exist in its current form, given population shifts.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1001 on: November 03, 2010, 11:51:16 AM »

They'll probably have to let McIntyre live if they want Ellmers to stay. There's not a whole lot you can do with NC-11, unless you turn it into a bizarre squidlike district. Kissell, however, is probably going to be screwed.
Guderian

« Reply #1002 on: November 03, 2010, 11:57:55 AM »

Yeah, there's still a small chance for Rossi to turn this around although he will probably lose by 1-1.5 points. I wish WA would start counting again finally.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1003 on: November 03, 2010, 11:58:07 AM »

They'll probably have to let McIntyre live if they want Ellmers to stay. There's not a whole lot you can do with NC-11, unless you turn it into a bizarre squidlike district. Kissell, however, is probably going to be screwed.

Kissell won by almost 10 points in the worst cycle for Democrats since 1946.  Even if Republicans take Mecklenberg county away from him, he would still win.
JohnCA246
mokbubble

« Reply #1004 on: November 03, 2010, 12:09:08 PM »

what is going on with WA?
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #1005 on: November 03, 2010, 12:10:51 PM »

Yes, the West did really pull through for us because it's part of our new base. 

The new Democratic firewall. (yea I still include Pennsylvania, sue me)
North Carolina re-elected most of its Dem incumbents.

Unfortunately, the gerrymander presently in effect is going to face some increased scrutiny with the GOP controlling the legislature.
The Governor is a Dem though right? Does Gov. Perdue have a part in redistricting?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1006 on: November 03, 2010, 12:12:19 PM »

Has Alvin Greene actually conceded defeat?  I would love to see his concession speech.

Morden he probably has no phone too call and concede with.......and no microphone or podium for a speech.....unless the outhouse counts.
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #1007 on: November 03, 2010, 12:16:36 PM »

Murray is overperforming the county benchmarks she needs to get 50.1 so far. She's overperforming a bit in Spokane and Clark while underperforming slightly in King County. Looks like it will be enough to win though.
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #1008 on: November 03, 2010, 12:19:13 PM »

NY State Senate looks very close right now. Could end up being a tie at 31-31 from what I've heard.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1009 on: November 03, 2010, 12:19:55 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2010, 12:35:30 PM by Torie »

Damn@Oberstar. I never saw that coming. Normally I'd take solace in that the seat would likely flip back but who knows what redistricting will do. We've probably lost the chance to redistrict out Bachmann too but if we lose a seat Cravaak likely will be it.

Well on the bright side Hanabusa appears to have won by a solid margin.

I was really surprised that Cravaack pulled 40% in St. Louis.  Should I be?

Yeah. That's really flukeish. I wouldn't expect it to continue in future elections but as said who knows what the district will look like. I wonder what happens if they draw Cravaack and Peterson in, Peterson would win but he might lose the primary. Then again he might want to retire now with all of his fellow Blue Dogs wiped out.

Of course I've also heard it's now looking more likely Minnesota might not lose a seat.

If Minnesota does lose a seat, the courts will probably draw the lines, because shockingly to me, and no doubt shockingly to you, BRTD, the GOP won  the Minnesota legislature. It will be just too tough to agree on which Congressperson is going to retire. If the state does not lose a seat, then everybody's district who needs strengthening, will probably get it. Maybe some of the iron range will be moved to MN-7 (but not too much because Peterson would not want too much in a Dem primary), and MN-8 can pick up some of the southern portion of MN-7 perhaps.

Is there any state where gerrymandering is important, that the Dems totally control? Did the GOP win back the NY senate? Apparently, the GOP probably did take back the NY state senate. Oh yes, Illinois! Quinn is clearly going to win, and that is an important win for the Dems. The Dem gerrymander in Illinois is going to be real ugly, as Cook County votes are used so sink suburban GOP congresspersons. The only thing holding them back will be the need to keep too black and one Hispanic district. Illinois losing a seat will just make all the more sanguinary. Muon2, what do you think?

Can anyone think of a state other than Illinois of any import, that the Dems will control?

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1010 on: November 03, 2010, 12:25:26 PM »

Well, California, but we're not allowed to gerrymander that unfortunately.
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #1011 on: November 03, 2010, 12:25:32 PM »

Toomey and Corbett got killed in Philly (though ran strong/barely lost or barely won in the Republican areas of the city) but the margins elsewhere where so incredible that it didn't matter. Republican turnout in Bucks alone was sensational. Our numbers in Chester were great, too. Amazing. What a night.

I think the difference was the African American vote.

It was very Democratic.  It turned out in slightly better numbers than normal.  It was not, however, a much better turnout.

In other words, "President Obama, they don't have your back."  This time.
Wait for 2012. They'll turn out.
Maybe not.  In PA, you have to vote once every two years to stay registered.  You probably lost a number of registered Democrats in Philadelphia.
If Obama and Brady aren't doing a huge recruiting drive there for registering new voters in 2012 that voted in 2008 and not 2010 I'd be shocked. Pennsylvania will be one of the key battleground states in 2012 so I'm sure Obama will put a big ground game in there.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1012 on: November 03, 2010, 12:31:44 PM »

McNerney down 23 votes right now. Can you say recount?
BTW, he's not a Blue Dog. Blue Dog Costa seems to have lost (also one of the uncalled races).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1013 on: November 03, 2010, 12:32:48 PM »

Yes, the Dems don't control the process in California. In fact, they, along with the Republicans, have absolutely nothing to do with it. What it has most to do with is federal law, and the host of strictures of how districts have to be drawn, that are now statutory in California, and are to be implemented by the independent commission.

The GOP appears to have drawn a royal flush when it comes to the gerrymandering wars. I wonder how much the GOP endeavored to maximize the odds of that particular draw?
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #1014 on: November 03, 2010, 12:33:29 PM »

Dems were stupid to vote for that ballot initiative. You can do so many creative things with a California gerrymander..

Good news is Republicans in Florida did the same thing. Still, Dems could have gotten more seats out of Cali. than the Republicans could have out of Florida.
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #1015 on: November 03, 2010, 12:39:04 PM »

Dems are going to gerrymander the sh**t out of Illinois though, so that's good.

The Republicans in Pennsylvania are going to have a tough time deciding which districts to strengthen and which to leave exposed. It's a good problem to have though.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1016 on: November 03, 2010, 12:39:56 PM »

Yes, the West did really pull through for us because it's part of our new base. 

The new Democratic firewall. (yea I still include Pennsylvania, sue me)
North Carolina re-elected most of its Dem incumbents.

Unfortunately, the gerrymander presently in effect is going to face some increased scrutiny with the GOP controlling the legislature.
The Governor is a Dem though right? Does Gov. Perdue have a part in redistricting?

Of course, but NC Dems have always controlled all parts of the redistricting process, which they don't now.  Makes a difference.

As for deals, I could see one for McIntyre - everyone likes him.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1017 on: November 03, 2010, 12:41:14 PM »

McNerney down 23 votes right now. Can you say recount?
BTW, he's not a Blue Dog. Blue Dog Costa seems to have lost (also one of the uncalled races).

Harmer is probably going to lose to the Dem, unless the 2 or 3 precincts out in Santa Clara County are disproportionately Republican, which is possible (somewhere in gated communities in Moraga or something), but unlikely.

Santa Clara
Updated 7 minutes ago
McNerney    4,900 51%
Harmer     4,254 45%
86% of precincts reporting
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1018 on: November 03, 2010, 12:41:49 PM »

Hahaha, Fiorna hasn't conceded yet. That's hilarious. And tragic.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #1019 on: November 03, 2010, 12:42:55 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2010, 12:45:07 PM by bgwah »

Washington is all-mail. There are a ton of ballots that haven't even gotten to the county election offices yet.

Most counties are going to do an update once a day or so.

It's estimated that King County is only about half in, though, so that is probably good for Murray. King's updates will be at 4:30 PM every day.

I'm much more interested in WA-2. Though a 0.8% deficit will be hard for Larsen to overcome, IMO... Then again, the margin changed by about that (maybe more) during the primary, so it could happen. But Koster could also expand his lead by another 0.8%, so who knows.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1020 on: November 03, 2010, 12:58:56 PM »

So how many times will the Texas GOP's gerrymander go to court?
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #1021 on: November 03, 2010, 01:01:25 PM »

So how many times will the Texas GOP's gerrymander go to court?

Depends if the AG post-2013 is Eric Holder or Joe Miller.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1022 on: November 03, 2010, 01:13:25 PM »

The Governor has no veto power over redistricting in North Carolina.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1023 on: November 03, 2010, 01:14:19 PM »

McNerney's actually up by 121 votes according to the SOS:

http://www.sos.ca.gov/contest_summary.pdf
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1024 on: November 03, 2010, 01:14:29 PM »

The Denver Post has called the race for Michael Bennet.
Colorado now has a Dem Governor and 2 Dem Senators. Smiley And 2 were elected in one of the worst cycles for Dems ever.

We're becoming a landlocked Washington state! Tongue

Although, the Republicans do have 4 of the 7 House seats, and they won back the state House (though narrowly). They have also held the AG, are on track to win the SoS race, and are neck and neck in the Treasurer's race.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 62  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies