NATIONAL GOVERNOR/OTHER RESULTS THREAD (LATE RESULTS/POSTMORTEM)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:56:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NATIONAL GOVERNOR/OTHER RESULTS THREAD (LATE RESULTS/POSTMORTEM)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24
Author Topic: NATIONAL GOVERNOR/OTHER RESULTS THREAD (LATE RESULTS/POSTMORTEM)  (Read 58292 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: November 21, 2010, 09:09:08 PM »

It's always hilarious to see the Alameda County Republican Party out in full force at the County Fair. They have their own booth, and everything. I mean, this is a county that has only voted Republican once, for Dwight Eisenhower. Well over half the county is registered Democrat. It's just entertaining.

Taking Oakland out of the county may make it susceptible to being won in statewide Republican landslides, but otherwise, it'd still be Democratic favored.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #551 on: November 23, 2010, 04:37:22 PM »

Huge batch of votes counted recently in California, from Los Angeles, San Diego, Orange and Marin counties, among others. Harris ahead by nearly 54k, and I don't see how Cooley can win this...
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #552 on: November 24, 2010, 02:37:36 AM »
« Edited: November 24, 2010, 02:42:10 AM by Liberalrocks »

A few small publications such as laweekly have called the race for Harris. Last count was 154,000 ballots still to be counted. Harris had a lead of almost 54,000. (46% to 45.5%.) Cooley would have to win the remaining uncounted ballots by a 3-1 margin. Complicating matters for him a large chunk of these votes are from Sonoma and Contra Costa county where Harris won by almost a 2-1 margin. She may very well reach 2-1 in Sonoma when these provisional ballots are counted.  Cooley lost to Harris here in Los Angeles County (his home turf) by an embarrasing 14pt spread!

A recount? Harris is likely to win by at least 60,000 votes. or half a percentage point. Cooley would have to hope for a massively bad tally if he were to invest the millions into the recount.
Cooley needs to professionally call and conceed this race.

Kamala Harris has made history as the states first African (Indian) American female to be elected to statewide office. This is also a victory for gay californians such as myself. She will refuse to defend Prop 8 in court. Also for the medical marijuana community. She is a rising star!
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #553 on: November 24, 2010, 01:14:08 PM »

Kamala Harris has made history as the states first African (Indian) American female to be elected to statewide office. This is also a victory for gay californians such as myself. She will refuse to defend Prop 8 in court. Also for the medical marijuana community. She is a rising star!

Indeed. This is one of those things that was rarely discussed during the race but both Cooley and Whitman vowed to defend Prop 8 IIRC. And Cooley has already launched a jihad against medical marijuana dispensaries in LA, so I don't see what would stop him from doing something similar statewide.

On the flip side I don't see any area where Cooley would be better. Has he promised to crack down on white collar criminals and fraud within state and local governments? And is it any different than what Harris has said?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #554 on: November 24, 2010, 02:49:07 PM »

Cooley conceded to Harris.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/2010/11/cooley-concedes-to-kamala-harr.html
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #555 on: November 24, 2010, 03:07:41 PM »

Great! After Boxer, Harris was one of my most supported candidates. Smiley
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #556 on: November 24, 2010, 03:25:27 PM »

God help the state of California. Sad
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #557 on: November 24, 2010, 03:33:05 PM »

Indeed. Gay marriage needs to be banned and medical marijuana needs to be gutted!!!!!

Seriously though, what would have Cooley done that would be so great? Kamala Harris was great as SF AG and she should be a good AG for California as well.

And while you are overly concerned about moderate politicians from California, I am more concerned about the tea party purists who are willing to screw over the country in order to stay principled.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #558 on: November 24, 2010, 03:38:26 PM »

Just read that Democrats control all the statewide offices in California for the first time since 1861!!!
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #559 on: November 24, 2010, 04:08:25 PM »

Just read that Democrats control all the statewide offices in California for the first time since 1861!!!

No they did in 2002 too.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #560 on: November 24, 2010, 07:37:32 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2010, 07:49:36 PM by Liberalrocks »

"God help the state of California"

Well maybe he did, Cooley isn't Attorney General.

Btw RedCommander I actually agree with your opinion on Tom Campbell but your party was/is too concerned with ideological purity tests rather then electability in a left center state. Moderate Campbell was perfectly tailored to social issues for the state. Actually I beleive he would have been a better suited gubernatorial candidate and even I would have considered a vote for him.

Ah well I can't say Im not happy with the results though. I your party renominates Whitman and Fiorina again those trainwrecks were fun to watch.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #561 on: November 24, 2010, 08:34:48 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2010, 08:38:41 PM by redcommander »

Btw RedCommander I actually agree with your opinion on Tom Campbell but your party was/is too concerned with ideological purity tests rather then electability in a left center state. Moderate Campbell was perfectly tailored to social issues for the state. Actually I beleive he would have been a better suited gubernatorial candidate and even I would have considered a vote for him.

Ah well I can't say Im not happy with the results though. I your party renominates Whitman and Fiorina again those trainwrecks were fun to watch.

You want our prison system to be even more overcrowded? Harris doesn't support the death penalty. Yes too many Republicans were too stupid to see that Campbell would have made a fine governor for the state, and may have even boosted Republican support for the Senate and the down the ballot races. He would have been great in Senate too, but his real place should have been in Sacramento. Unfortunately the flashiness of two self-funders was too powerful for primary voters to vote with reason. Every Republican running as a result faced minority voter backlash after Whitman's cold and unemotional response to the Niki Diaz scandal.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #562 on: November 24, 2010, 08:37:15 PM »

You want our prison system to be even more overcrowded? Harris doesn't support the death penalty.

Jerry Brown doesn't support it either, and yet the death penalty is still being implemented. And Harris will do the same.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #563 on: November 24, 2010, 08:41:55 PM »

You want our prison system to be even more overcrowded? Harris doesn't support the death penalty.

Jerry Brown doesn't support it either, and yet the death penalty is still being implemented. And Harris will do the same.

I just don't see what is so great about Harris's record. She doesn't seem like she has the seriousness to deal with the risk of drug-related violence spewing over into the state, or prosecuting cities that knowingly break the law by being sanctuary cities to illegal aliens.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #564 on: November 24, 2010, 08:51:17 PM »

California's prison system is overcrowded because of the three-strikes law and overzealous prosecution of nonviolent drug offenders. And it's not going to get better because the prison guard union has an inordinate amount of political power in the state.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #565 on: November 24, 2010, 08:54:08 PM »

I just don't see what is so great about Harris's record. She doesn't seem like she has the seriousness to deal with the risk of drug-related violence spewing over into the state, or prosecuting cities that knowingly break the law by being sanctuary cities to illegal aliens.

Has there been a large rise in drug violence in California? I am not aware of it. The cartels have mostly given up on the SD border, and are focusing their attention farther east.

As for sanctuary cities, you do have a good point. She is from SF so it's very likely she won't crack down on sanctuary cities. But it's not as if cracking down on sanctuary cities are somehow the solution to our immigration problem. It will just break up more families and cause hardships.

We need to figure out how to stop employers from hiring illegals, help employers find immigrant labor for low income jobs, and increase protection at the border including looking into building a fence if it's deemed to be an effective measure. A fence helps secure the SD border, and I support it there, but I'm not sure if we have to wall the entire border.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #566 on: November 24, 2010, 09:54:44 PM »

Harris will implement the death penalty just as Brown  (who was personally opposed to it) did. The millions spent to smear her on this issue didn't pay off. Karl Rove and Big Oil Interests are not pleased with this result...no doubt.

What I see in Harris is an innovative prosecutor who thinks outside of the Box. One city alone is not to blame for illegal immigration.

The republicans wanted to defeat Harris because they fear her rising star in California politics and the Obama connection and comparisons. I believe she is a rising star and as a Gay man appreciate her election over Cooley who has a horrible record of enforcing Hate Crimes.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #567 on: November 25, 2010, 03:52:24 PM »

California's prison system is overcrowded because of the three-strikes law and overzealous prosecution of nonviolent drug offenders.

Exactly. FYI, Red Commander, if you look at the ratio of CA's (or any state's) overall prison population vs. its death row numbers, trying to solve overcrowding through the most aggressive use of capital punishment imagninable would be like trying to empty the SF Bay with and eyedropper.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #568 on: November 26, 2010, 02:31:38 PM »

I was very surprised by the margin by which Harris won in L.A. County.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #569 on: November 26, 2010, 04:40:15 PM »

Yes she crushed Cooley here in La County. 53- 39% a 14 pt spread in his home county. I didn't expect it would be as strong I thought she would carry the county at half that margin but would be stronger in other northern parts of the state to compensate for the narrow LA margins. As it was she won because of her La County margin. That had to be an embarrassment to Cooley.
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #570 on: November 26, 2010, 08:54:36 PM »

Have the six states, south to north, from Texas to North Dakota ever all had Republican governors before in our history?  Oops, never mind.  upon checking, I see that they did from 1999 through 2002.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #571 on: November 30, 2010, 02:31:33 PM »

Thompson concedes to Grisanti in SD-60 in NY.  So we're left with the Opppenheimer (Dems ahead by 325) and Johnson (GOP ahead by 431) races and the total is GOP 31, Dems 29.

http://polhudson.lohudblogs.com/2010/11/30/thompson-concedes/

This may be the one place in NY where Paladino being on the top of the ticket helped (the district is Buffalo city and part of Niagara and is very far from being a GOP district).  Of course, maybe it was because Thompson is a real idiot.  Who knows.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #572 on: December 04, 2010, 12:27:43 PM »

Dayton declared the winner:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/04/democrat-dayton-wins-minnesota-gov-recount/
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #573 on: December 04, 2010, 01:15:48 PM »

Even if all of Emmer's challenges are successful, he will still be roughly 8000 votes behind. So on what grounds will he sue?
And even then isn't it more likely than not that the courts will throw out his lawsuit as frivolous? 
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #574 on: December 04, 2010, 11:19:35 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2010, 11:22:03 PM by cinyc »

A judge declared that Republican Jack Martins beat Democratic incumbent Craig Johnson in NY SD-07.  Therefore, Republicans will have a majority in the next New York State Senate - 32-30, assuming the Democrat wins the contested Westchester race.  She's leading, but all of the ballots still haven't been counted there and the Republican challenger is seeking a hand count.

The judge will rule on whether there will be a hand count in SD-07 later.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies