NATIONAL GOVERNOR/OTHER RESULTS THREAD (LATE RESULTS/POSTMORTEM) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:16:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NATIONAL GOVERNOR/OTHER RESULTS THREAD (LATE RESULTS/POSTMORTEM) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NATIONAL GOVERNOR/OTHER RESULTS THREAD (LATE RESULTS/POSTMORTEM)  (Read 58325 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: November 02, 2010, 06:44:11 PM »

Extremely close in OH according to the exit poll... looks like 50-48 Strickland.

Yeah, I almost jumped out of my seat when I saw this.

Smiley

If only there was a crying for joy emoticon.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 09:49:56 PM »

With almost half the vote reported Kasich leads Strickland by just over 3. The county breakdown is way, way behind, but the A-G's race is up to date and the gap between Cordray and DeWine is almost identical to the govs race. It turns out most of the outstanding vote appears to be in Democratic counties. Smiley

The populous GOP counties surrounding Cinci are 65, 65 & 82% (Clermont) in. Cuyahoga is at about 50%, Franklin less, Summit (Akron) barely a third in, Stark (Canton, where Cordray at least is doing very well so far) barely a fourth in, ditto Montgomery, and Lucas County has reported only 1 precinct according to the SOS website. Cheesy

Still game for Ted....
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 10:31:49 PM »

With almost half the vote reported Kasich leads Strickland by just over 3. The county breakdown is way, way behind, but the A-G's race is up to date and the gap between Cordray and DeWine is almost identical to the govs race. It turns out most of the outstanding vote appears to be in Democratic counties. Smiley

The populous GOP counties surrounding Cinci are 65, 65 & 82% (Clermont) in. Cuyahoga is at about 50%, Franklin less, Summit (Akron) barely a third in, Stark (Canton, where Cordray at least is doing very well so far) barely a fourth in, ditto Montgomery, and Lucas County has reported only 1 precinct according to the SOS website. Cheesy

Still game for Ted....

Irk! Not so much. DeWine at least is actually now winning Montgomery County, though Cordray is keeping it admirably close in Hamilton. Cuyahoga is 3/4 in, as is Mahoning. Lucas is still largely unreported, but with Strickland down over 130k it looks like too little too late. And a clean sweep of statewide offices for the GOP. Sad

DAMN YOU FALSE HOPE GIVING EXIT POLLS!!!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 11:12:38 PM »

Strickland has just gone down according to Fox.

John Kaisch is the next Governor of Ohio

That's disturbing disgusting!

fixed

And losing a great A-G like Cordray to that joke DeWine is just as bad.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 01:45:50 AM »

The votes left in Florida to count are less than Scott's margin (or almost there), so he will win by a margin beyond lawsuit potential. That means the Pubbies can gerrymander the sh*t out of the state, like last time, which is the major national significance of this race to my mind. Scott in totals tracked Rubio pretty closely, suggesting that if Crist had been a moderate Dem from day one as governor, he might have run a skin tight race against Rubio.

I wish.  Even though Scott is (maybe, appears) victorious and Republicans obtained veto proof majorities in both the state house and senate, the fair districting amendment passed.  Unless Republicans can come up with a way to keep it from going into effect, the Republican state domination days are over.

And yes, Republicans tried to get the amendments kicked off the ballot before the election.  I wonder what argument they could use now to keep them from going into effect.

I'm assuming you voted against that garbage.

We certainly hope so. Yey gerrymandering!Corrupting the very spirit of one person one vote is ever so good for a democracy, you know....
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 12:03:19 PM »

The votes left in Florida to count are less than Scott's margin (or almost there), so he will win by a margin beyond lawsuit potential. That means the Pubbies can gerrymander the sh*t out of the state, like last time, which is the major national significance of this race to my mind. Scott in totals tracked Rubio pretty closely, suggesting that if Crist had been a moderate Dem from day one as governor, he might have run a skin tight race against Rubio.

I wish.  Even though Scott is (maybe, appears) victorious and Republicans obtained veto proof majorities in both the state house and senate, the fair districting amendment passed.  Unless Republicans can come up with a way to keep it from going into effect, the Republican state domination days are over.

And yes, Republicans tried to get the amendments kicked off the ballot before the election.  I wonder what argument they could use now to keep them from going into effect.

You better believe I voted no on both of them.  Yeah 'fair districts' sponsored by a ton of northeastern unions and out of state liberal special interest groups.  Talk about a hidden power grab.

And Badger, stop being self righteous.  Gerrymandering has always been a part of this country.  I don't complain about the gerrymandered districts in California or Massachusetts.  To the victor goes the spoils that's what I say.  The pure pure swing states can worry about switching between conservative and liberal gerrymandering schemes every 10 years.  Really if you think about it, the liberal and conservative gerrymanders balance themselves out while the dominant party has a substantial, but not insurmountable, advantage.

"Gerrymandering has always been a part of this country"? That's really your justification?? Like vote fraud, influence peddling, poll taxes (though I assume you and States probably miss those), these are not exactly good parts of our electoral history either. These are not things we should want to continue, let alone admire.

But hey, a fairly representative democracy here isn't your goal, is it? After all, "To the victor goes the spoils"? So simply you're upset the FL GOP can't stack the deck to ensure it gets more representatives despite earning fewer voters. At least though you're completely up front about being unapologetically evil. Kudos! Smiley

Speaking of which...

Southern CW reenactors, stop being racist asshats!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 08:41:55 PM »

I wish.  Even though Scott is (maybe, appears) victorious and Republicans obtained veto proof majorities in both the state house and senate, the fair districting amendment passed.  Unless Republicans can come up with a way to keep it from going into effect, the Republican state domination days are over.

And yes, Republicans tried to get the amendments kicked off the ballot before the election.  I wonder what argument they could use now to keep them from going into effect.

You better believe I voted no on both of them.  Yeah 'fair districts' sponsored by a ton of northeastern unions and out of state liberal special interest groups.  Talk about a hidden power grab.

And Badger, stop being self righteous.  Gerrymandering has always been a part of this country.  I don't complain about the gerrymandered districts in California or Massachusetts.  To the victor goes the spoils that's what I say.  The pure pure swing states can worry about switching between conservative and liberal gerrymandering schemes every 10 years.  Really if you think about it, the liberal and conservative gerrymanders balance themselves out while the dominant party has a substantial, but not insurmountable, advantage.

"Gerrymandering has always been a part of this country"? That's really your justification?? Like vote fraud, influence peddling, poll taxes (though I assume you and States probably miss those), these are not exactly good parts of our electoral history either. These are not things we should want to continue, let alone admire.

But hey, a fairly representative democracy here isn't your goal, is it? After all, "To the victor goes the spoils"? So simply you're upset the FL GOP can't stack the deck to ensure it gets more representatives despite earning fewer voters. At least though you're completely up front about being unapologetically evil. Kudos! Smiley

Speaking of which...

Southern CW reenactors, stop being racist asshats!

Hmm where to begin.

Comparing gerrymandering to vote fraud?  You really are a bleeding heart liberal aren't you?  That comparison is a huge stretch at best and entirely false at worst.

Am I upfront about supporting gerrymandering?  Yeah sure!  So if I'm evil, am I to assume Massachusetts and California are evil for gerrymandering?  What about all the Democrats on the cable news channels last night crying 'Oh no! Now DEMOCRATS won't get to gerrymander!'  You cannot have it both ways!  You're the one who should be upfront about how you truly feel about gerrymandering (psst...you support it!).  I can only imagine your reaction if Conservative groups like American Crossroads put a 'fair districts' amendment on the California ballot.  You should also be upfront about who bankrolled this entire operation.  This was a liberal agenda item.

Finally, did you seriously just call me a southerner and racist?  lol.  I can only smile at that.  Literally I'm smiling at that.  Is that your best stereotypical liberal condescension attack point?  I have never wrote a racist or confederate thing here-in fact, you know nothing about my background at all.

I wonder how many times I'm going to be called a racist confederate supporting jerk on this forum even though I've never written any such thing.  Well when far left liberals such as yourself have nothing else left to throw, playing the race card may be your only hope.  

Where to begin indeed?

First off, your examples are weak at best. MA? Please! As has been noted by natives in other threads the MA GOP is so anemic throughout the state (yes, yes--"Scott Brown" duly noted before anyone mentions it Roll Eyes) that it would be difficult to cobble together more than one competitive in normal non-60 year level wave elections Tongue district. CA? Their districting has always traditionally been a mutually agreed incumbent protection plan than a gerrymander. This has weakened over the last decade or two due to increased hispanic immigration and an increasingly southern conservative dominated GOP made much the state outside the OC and Inland Empire toxic for Republicans, but still. Most importantly, doesn't the fact Cali ALSO passed non-partisan redistricting kind of weaken your argument here?

So take away CA and MA and what does that leave in terms of "liberal gerrymanders"? NC maybe? And....Huh Against that I'll stack OH, PA, FL, Texas. All of which already are horrid gerrymanders and will only get worse after this election. Face it---your side isn't the one that needs to worry about unilateral disarmament in the gerrymandering wars.

Next, um, yes, gerrymandering is an odious way to undermine the fundamental "one person, one vote" fairness of democracy. There's nothing "bleeding heart liberal" about opposing gerrymandering, or at least there shouldn't be to any self respecting conservative. This is non-partisan civics textbook ideals here, ECR. Your defense of it is litterally indefensible.

The racist crack was directed at States, not you. Are you a CW reenactor too?

Look, now that CA---the great right wing bogeyman/justification for gerrymandering---is going non-partisan, don't you think its acceptable that FL stop the games and sacrifice unfair boundaries to ensure GOP dominance of the state in favor of a genuinely fair non-partisan system? If you'd actually support an amendment like S & C proposes (and I do too, though ironically I'd actually support compactness being at least equal with competitiveness for drawing boundaries), isn't Florida's vote actually a positive step in this direction? Our is it simply, sadly, a matter of supporting fair non-partisan districting in principle, but "just not in my state" in practice?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 08:51:45 PM »

Considered putting this in its own thread, but not sure on whether that would fall within/without the rules. Not actually sure that this hasn't been noted yet either, anyway...

In Iowa, Voters Oust Judges Over Marriage Issue - New York Times

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

It was noted by me, although I haven't posted about it.  Actually, it is widely noted hereabouts.  The local public radio station, KUNI, has been talking about this issue all day long.  In the spirit of full disclosure, I voted NO on all of the retentions of all current justices.  I think I posted that in another thread.

I disagree with the assertion that is widely being made, by NPR, the New York Times, and apparently by Senator Franzl.  I, for one, did not vote NO because of the gay marriage issue, and I am not aware of any polling data that supports the conclusion that anyone else did either.

Then why did you vote no for retention. Baring a majorly unpopular decision (e.g. legalizing gay marriage), a no vote is usually reserved if the judge is caught in a scandal, or general contrariness.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 03:07:09 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2010, 03:36:05 PM by Badger »

Well, Badger, after you continuing to insult me, I now have come to the conclusion that you're not worth bothering with. I tried to be friendly with you and respectful, if you want to keep insulting me and lying about me on this board I'm putting you on ignore, where you belong.  I know the Mods will allow these insults to continue uncorrected if they are done by left wingers.

"Friendly and respectful"? At times--which I've reciprocated accordingly--but you certainly weren't here:

People who throw stones shouldn't be indignant when stones are thrown back. Nuff said.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 03:52:24 PM »

California's prison system is overcrowded because of the three-strikes law and overzealous prosecution of nonviolent drug offenders.

Exactly. FYI, Red Commander, if you look at the ratio of CA's (or any state's) overall prison population vs. its death row numbers, trying to solve overcrowding through the most aggressive use of capital punishment imagninable would be like trying to empty the SF Bay with and eyedropper.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies