The 'Evan Bayh' appreciation thread!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:17:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  The 'Evan Bayh' appreciation thread!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The 'Evan Bayh' appreciation thread!  (Read 1858 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 15, 2004, 03:36:21 PM »

Yes I know it's early and yes I know i had Hillary as my picture for a while, but in my 4 yearly hunt for a Democrat to root for in 2008....if they stand I have came up with the charming, the loveable....Evan Bayh of Indiana! I've checked out his history, his politics and i'm comfortable with them. What does everyone else think? If the Republicans choose a populist next time round would he be any good? And that chin is just dying to be characatured!
NHPolitico

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 03:44:29 PM »

separated at birth?

WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 03:55:16 PM »

evan bayh is too much of a moderate and a crowd pleaser.  name one thing he feels strongly about.
M

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 04:19:55 PM »

I actually adore Bayh, he's my second favorite remaining dem after Lieberman. (I miss Zell and Breaux Sad  ). I would probably support a Bayh run in '08 against anyone except possibly Rudy, Arnold, McCain (won't happen), or Rice (unlikely). Even with these four I would have to strongly consider both campaigns before making a decision.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 04:25:32 PM »

evan bayh is too much of a moderate and a crowd pleaser.  name one thing he feels strongly about.

You've just explained why he'd be a good Presidential Candidate...
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 04:28:18 PM »

VOTE EVAN BAYH 2008.

He's not Hillary!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 04:34:19 PM »

Well he just explained why he'd be a good General election Presidential candidate with his ability to appeal to the centrist voters of America. The problem for him: He has to get through the primary...
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 04:41:01 PM »

al, you know damn well that evan bayh doesnt believe in anything.  he is a moderate for the sake of being a moderate.  being moderate is the cool thing to do these days...
Cashcow

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004, 04:54:48 PM »

Looks like the Republicans are afraid he might win... Wink

Which he will. I can see him being as popular as Bill Clinton was, perhaps more.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2004, 04:59:55 PM »

al, you know damn well that evan bayh doesnt believe in anything.  he is a moderate for the sake of being a moderate.  being moderate is the cool thing to do these days...

Very true. Being a Democrat in Indiana and believing in something is just asking for trouble... look what happend to Evan's dad.
Bayh could get better on the campaign trail (although if the next four years are a disaster there'd be no point).
But the decline of belief in politics is a sad, sad trend.

I blame Mass Media and all that... would Tip O'Neill or Reagan have been as popular as they were (when O'Neill retired in '86, his approval rating was 67%. Reagan's was 66% in the same year) if they operated under modern media conditions?

Hell no.

Which is a real shame for politics. Instead of real differences we have small differences manufactured by media savvy stuffed shirts.
Idiotic "wedge issues" like gay marriage are seen as more importent than how happy people are, whether they have a job or how much money they have in their wallets.
Most politicians nowadays are worse at public speaking than I was when I was 12.
But the media don't want orators. They want soundbites.

I hate the media
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2004, 05:05:40 PM »

For the record, I like Bayh. He doesn't seem like another Clinton, but I'd like him to be more open about what he believes in.

Even if it's moderation.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2004, 07:59:12 AM »

I like Bayh.  He's a Democrat from Indiana who is elected to statewide office!  In Indiana! =-O
M

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2004, 08:49:55 AM »

He is not just a moderate. He really believes in his state and his country, his principles are just similar to those of his close ally Lieberman. I don't want and issue president- I want a president I trust to handle whatever may come up under his watch. It's largely a character thing, and Bayh is great for it.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2004, 01:57:05 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2004, 09:27:47 AM by Democratic 'Hawk' »

I agree. Only someone from the political centre can reconcile 'blue' and 'red' America. Moderates are the largest single ideological voting bloc. Bayh stands a good chance against a conservative Republican and even moderate Republican

The Democrats need to bear in mind "electability" come the 2008 primaries and not "litmus tests"

Dave
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies