Right-wing "centrists" preparing to seize control of the Democratic Party
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:04:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Right-wing "centrists" preparing to seize control of the Democratic Party
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Right-wing "centrists" preparing to seize control of the Democratic Party  (Read 2454 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 02, 2010, 12:13:37 PM »

http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=09E0E255-EAEC-00E0-93D22A45D112AE19

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=09E0E255-EAEC-00E0-93D22A45D112AE19
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 12:14:15 PM »

Say it with me!

Republocrat!
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 12:19:48 PM »

LOL at third way being "right-wing".
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 01:48:36 PM »

I'll believe it when I see it.
Frink
Lafayette53
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -6.17

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 01:53:59 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2010, 01:56:27 PM by Foster »

If they purge the cap-and-trade nonsense from the party forever it will be a good thing.

Can't say much else about "Third Way" since I haven't read the site, but if they're a bit more sensible on environmental policies then they aren't all bad.
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 02:05:56 PM »

I hope so
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 02:08:59 PM »

Two years ago people were saying a turn to the right for the Republicans would give them permanent minority status.

This is a bunch of a crap.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 02:18:02 PM »

I could only laugh while reading this just because I can only think of opebo's meaning of "third way".
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 02:22:39 PM »

They already do.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 02:29:48 PM »

Aren't they all about to be voted out of office?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 02:34:22 PM »

Yes opebo's definition of the "third way" is a good metaphor for what's about to happen to the Blue Dogs.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 02:45:54 PM »

As the article points out, the group has close ties to the future senate majority leader (Schumer) and house minority leader (Steny Hoyer), so they'll still quite a bit of influence, even if the remaining Dem caucuses will be a little more left-wing (and really not that substantially so, as you have to factor in the losses of progressives like Shea-Porter along with the blue dogs and DLC types).
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 02:19:14 AM »

These are seriously terrible people.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 02:36:02 AM »

The third way already triangulated halfway between the Democratic and the Republican party, and now completely controls the Democratic party. Perhaps they mean a "4th way" that will be halfway between 3rd way and the Republican party? Yeah, I'm sure that will do wonders for problems with base turnout. If this country was halfway sane, these 4th wayers would be too far the right for the right-wing party.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 08:48:34 AM »

Plain and simple BS.  The Blue Dogs were murdered last night, and I don't see how turning more moderate will really help the party.

I certainly hope the Dems in both Houses realize that they'll probably lose the Senate in 2012, so they should hold no restraint.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 08:57:14 AM »

I certainly hope the Dems in both Houses realize that they'll probably lose the Senate in 2012, so they should hold no restraint.

I would put it at 50/50 to hold the Senate now, a significant improvement over what I thought last week. They will absolutely lose it in 2014 whether they hold it in 2012, barring a simultaneous and unthinkable election of President Palin and a Dem senate but the class of 2012 is much stronger than 2014.

The Tea Party needs to start gathering its armies for that traitor Snowe.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 09:00:30 AM »

I would put it at 50/50 to hold the Senate now, a significant improvement over what I thought last week. They will absolutely lose it in 2014 whether they hold it in 2012, barring a simultaneous and unthinkable election of President Palin and a Dem senate but the class of 2012 is much stronger than 2014.

The Tea Party needs to start gathering its armies for that traitor Snowe.

Well either way, 2014's numbers are a bit more even with the GOP than 2012 (which only has 8 GOP seats).

Still, the Dems should hold no restraint.  There's no point in being cautious now.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 09:32:27 AM »

Democrats can't win by triangulating anymore.  Clinton was the only one who could get away with that that because he offered compromises on positions where there was actually some common ground with Republicans.  That's not the case now.  Examples of current attempts to triangulate were the health care bill, which contains state insurance exchanges and guaranteed issue in exchange for mandates, and the cap-and-trade bill, which were all originally Republican ideas.  You can't win ground by offering compromise positions that Republicans have already abandoned.  Middle ground, in American politics now, is a piece of land where nobody lives, so if these "third-way" Democrats want to buy homes there, the property will be cheap, but the neighborhood very lonely.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 05:28:48 PM »

Plain and simple BS.  The Blue Dogs were murdered last night, and I don't see how turning more moderate will really help the party.

And I also think some House seats went GOP because of lack of enthusiasm.  I was looking at the nominal numbers in PA-7, 8 and the Senate seat and I don't think we got the turnout we could have there.  I effectively place Pat Toomey as a Tea Partier, but he just knew how to hide it well under the "Club For Growth."  Pat Meehan and Mike Fitzpatrick are effectively "moderates" compared to the TPers, but it's guys like them who have to watch out more, not the Tea Partiers who knocked off Blue Dogs.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 05:41:09 PM »

And I also think some House seats went GOP because of lack of enthusiasm.  I was looking at the nominal numbers in PA-7, 8 and the Senate seat and I don't think we got the turnout we could have there.  I effectively place Pat Toomey as a Tea Partier, but he just knew how to hide it well under the "Club For Growth."  Pat Meehan and Mike Fitzpatrick are effectively "moderates" compared to the TPers, but it's guys like them who have to watch out more, not the Tea Partiers who knocked off Blue Dogs.

Well partially it's because people don't care about other races besides the President.Tongue

But still, there's no use in turning the Dems moderate now.  They're in opposition, and turning moderate certainly wasn't what the GOP had in mind after '08 and look where they got.  It's time to get some payback going, and the Dems becoming more liberal is the way to do it.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 06:50:54 PM »

It's a pretty bad sign when you're coming to the same conclusions as me Lief.
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 08:50:13 PM »

I thought they had already pretty much seized control? Hopefully the complete dismantling of the Blue Dogs/DLC Dems starts to reverse that process.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies